Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How about a "original" survivor thread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Jan 25, 2013.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Granny cars etc. I have became more and more interested in just plain jane cars that have been well kept thru the years even if I dont particularly like the year or bodystyle of the car. they just have a coolness and history about them.
    For example I saw a off topic mid 70s mercury montego yesterday :eek:(a car that I have never admired) but its clean original paint,interior,hubcaps,whitewalls etc.etc. made it cool to me,maybe partialy because its a kind of a underdog but a nice car that could be easily/more affordably acquired.

I dont see myself ever driving a 70s mercury montego but I will admit I do admire that stuff from afar,however I could of course easily see my self in a nice survivor 50s/60s 4 door etc. for the rite price

*Lets see the survivors and hear the story*
    Heres a nice example of one that was posted on here recently that may even be a little nicer than what I have the itch to see (I still like patina also)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. I'll be interested in see what a survivor car is supposed to look like. HRP

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

An original survivor to me would be a vehicle that hasnt been hacked on or jacked with much,just well preserved without restoration.

4. Paint

Paint

This is my 63 Impala bought new by my parents. 74000 miles, never been apart.
    The gold was resprayed in lacquer in about 1985, the roof is original paint.
    I have the original wheels and wheel covers with some 40 year old bias plys on them. Also have the bill of sale, warranty book, etc.
    I will pass this car on to my nephew and hope it never leaves the family.
    That's me on the bike.

Attached Files:

5. I don't know about a survivor car but I look at a survivor in the mirror every day and he is pretty plane jane as folks go. Survived lots of things, diseases, injuries, a police action. Floods, tornados, fires.

hell the list is actually pretty embarrasing when you get right down to it. ;)

I would think that a survivor would be untouched, after it has been painted or what have you it would no longer be a survivor.

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Isn't "original" and "survivor" redundant? What is an "unoriginal survivor"? The stuff you see a lot on the overpriced crap auction site that looks about as original as a typical Hollywood bimbo?

7. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

That's what I did, Some say I ruined it, All I'am ruining is rear tires now. 50k miles with original paint and interior.
    [​IMG]

4ever18 likes this.
  8. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

mines a little off topic around here, but the story is too cool not to share, This car is a true low miles survivor. Its a 1970 (yea i know too new) plymouth satellite. my dad special ordered the car in 1970, he liked the roadrunner bodystyle, but didnt want all the roadrunner decals, so he ordered a plain satellite with a roadrunner running gear, 383 h.p. motor pistol grip 4 speed, banch seat car, 1 of 53 made that year. we moved from ft wayne to garrett in. in '77 and he parked the car with 30,000+ miles on it. we'd have to beg him to get the car out, but about once every year or two he'd get it out wash it up and go for a ride. I loved those rides! He built the motor in it when the car had about 200 miles on it, it was probably one of the fastest 383 cars ive seen. well dad had an accident with his tractor and passed away in '99. We always asked him who would get the car after he was gone and he said "nobody , im going to take it with me". well when we were picking out dads headstone we had the car laser etched on it so in a way he could take it with him. I talked mom into letting me show the car in his memory and a couple years later she gave it to me. i showed the car from '99 untill '06 and loved telling people the story of the car and my dad. I never did feel like i was on the right side of the car when i was driving it, shoulda been in the passenger seat. anyway in '06 i decided to sell the car and buy my mom a car for christmas that she really needed, it was the hardest, yet the most fullfilling thing i ever did. cars come and go, even the special and rare ones, but we only get on set of parents, I think i did ok with mine. I got my love of cars from dad. And i appreciate that every day. The guy that bought the satellte was a lot like my old man, hard worker and this was his one big thing to buy when he retired. I know he'll take car of it, he'd better, i know my dad is right there with the car he loved. The car had just flipped 50,000 miles when i sold it, I had every scrap of paperwork that came with the car when dad bought it, it still had the factory ok stamps on it and even where they ok'd it in grease pencil on the inside of the trunk lid at the factory. In the pic i had changed the hood and wheels, but i put the original stuff back on when it went to the new owner. Id have never guess the car would outlive my dad, expecially how hard he ( and I) drove it. and yes thats the original b5 blue from the factory, a true survivor! sorry again for the OT year, have a good night everybody, thanks for reading my little car story.

[​IMG]

low budget likes this.
  9. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

A little new for this board, but 38,000 actual miles on this Impala. Original paint, interior, numbers-matching drive train.

[​IMG]

4ever18 likes this.
  10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Watch the Pebble Beach car show's "survivor" class.

11. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

allright porknbearer.........

13. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

This one aquired last october .. 40.000 miles.. Nothing changed .. tires are bald. original paint,
    [​IMG]

14. [​IMG] As bought from original owner- did have bias ply when bought-

15. motorguy

motorguy
    from canada

I bought this car four years ago,it has 26,000miles on it at this time.
    it was stored inside thirthy years.I have all the historic including the original contract.Original paint,chrome and interior.It has 30,000Miles now.

Attached Files:

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I also like this one with only 40,000 miles

Attached Files:

17. Would you consider a '41 Chevrolet that had sat in a shed since '93 a survivor? 83000 miles and after a little tinkering, is once again running. Working on replacing the brakes now.

Attached Files:

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Finished in 1951,... still in original finish,... does this count ?
    The Frank Mack Roadster

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I would say yes; yours is a 'hotrod survivor". The others are "original survivors".

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

he WISHES it was his...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

A local guy has a '54 Corvette with original paint on it that he bought used when he was 18. It's far from showroom and gets driven regularly but it's unrestored, I was always impressed that he had the foresight even in his younger years not to mess with it. Wish I had a pic.

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Very cool car. But your garage is too damn clean!

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yes I do !,..... But it did belong to a dear old friend, I worked on it and even rode in it.... It was offered for sale to me once.... :eek::(:mad:

I'm sorry,... I thought I could talk about it...:(

Frank offered to let me drive it if I could, Frank was 5'1",.... I am 6'2",.. Frank fit very good in the Roadster,... I could fit in the passenger side,... but I could never get my left leg inside the car on the driver side..... I tried really hard,.. Frank would just stand there and laugh at me.... I really miss that old fart !

24. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

All I can say about those cars is WOW!! Some very cool finds. I'm not even going to try and single one of them out. They are all very cool.

25. Vintage Soul

Vintage Soul

All orignal and love it to death

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Wow! Really cool!:D

27. my 41-it was a true survivor.

Attached Files:

28. Model T1

Model T1

Porknbeaner-----sez----I would think that a survivor would be untouched, after it has been painted or what have you it would no longer be a survivor.
    This pretty well says it the way I feel. --^^^^^^
    SmokinBill is it legal to have a garage that clean and uncluttered? :rolleyes:

I'd rather look at these survivors than a field full of restored cars.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my 61 Dodge and my 62 Caddy are were survivors. Caddy was all original except for the tires. the black leather interior had one tiny bald spot on the carpet and a rubbed spot on the seat from getting in and out. the trunk didn't even look like anyone ever opened it. the original owner damaged the rear door a bit, and the lower front fenders had rust. it was a nice car.

61 Dodge had 75 K on it when I got it, I'm the 3rd owner. got 115 K now i think. it was a lot nicer 20 years ago when I bought it, but it still looks good at dusk from about 20 feet away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Tony

Tony

My old 63. Now lives somewhere in Erie Pa with a collector.
    I was the second registered owner of it with 50K miles.
    A guy bought it for his wife in late '62 and she owned it til she passed in the late '90s. Literally only drove the car to church and grocery store.
    About as clean and as original as they come right down to paper work/build sheet. The freakin' paint was even from GM.
    Kinda miss it, but it was too nice for me so it's in the hands of someone who would be a caretaker rather than modifier.

Tony

Attached Files:

• 6312.jpg
      6312.jpg
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views: