Register now to get rid of these ads!

Water Jet Windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cosmic12, Jan 11, 2013.

1. P-Slinky

P-Slinky
    from Chicago

I will be following this thread closely, as I am currently looking for someone to cut the front and rear glass on my 63 Caddy Coupe Deville. I took out 2.5 inches out of the front and 2 inches out of the rear in the chop. When laying the stock glass in the hole it looks as if I need the windshield shaved @2 inches and the rear @3. Would love to find someone local or at least driving distance to me that would be willing try this for me. Any help in this is going to be greatly appreciated!
    Pete

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

After breaking 2 of them doing it the old fashioned way I took the 3rd one over to a local guy with a water jet he cut granite with. The jet was too close to the deck so we couldn't use the computer. We marked it off with a grease pencil and fed it through upside down with one guy on each end and one steadying the middle.

It went off without a problem, just like slicing butter. We left a 1/8 inch all around and polished that off with a belt sander.

I am trying to find the pictures and will post them as soon as I can find them.

B:)B

3. Rookie1

Rookie1

"Gutziest move I ever seen Maverick" (Top Gun) get any scratches ?

4. pontman

pontman

The water-jet I ran would only cut flat stock. 2 axis x and y only. We did cut glass on it. You had to pierce the glass then cut out to the edge then back though to finish the cut. Very cool machine!

5. Clankers Bob, clankers. That had to be one helluva wet mess.:)

6. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

If i read this right you said you need 3 cut out of your back window! Usually the rear glass is TEMPERED and can't be cut. Before you try it make sure it is laminated glass not tempered.if you look at the raw edge of the glass and can't see laminated clear plastic between the glass don't try it. Most guys lay the window opening down or sink the opening into a lower channel.so they won't have to cut the rear glass.

7. cosmic12

cosmic12

Nice to hear that it does work. I still haven't been able to get with my guy on it yet, he/ the machine has been running non stop and he really can't stop production to try my little project but we will get to it.

8. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

My water jet guy has cut glass. He says he can cut anything and has cut steel up to 6" thick very accurately

9. Choff

Choff

I working glass for 20 years and you cannot cut tempered glass, side windows are made of this glass on most cars, Windshields can be cut down cutting both sides of glass and then cutting the laminate between glass and then sand down with belt sander.
    Take your time !!!!!
    Choff

10. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe