Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What color of black is best

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ol' Blue, Jan 24, 2013.

1. hippy killer

hippy killer

i could be wrong but i think px880 is the most black the rest have some green in the and even some white

2. b-bob

b-bob

Years ago we painted my car a black that was a Ford color, and it was b/c and man it was pure black, no greyish tone to it. I would definetley use the base/clear.

3. busajack

busajack
    from wy

Harley Davidson black is very black and tough.
    Still have some of my first gallon of dupont 99 but it won't come outta the can.

4. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

PPG dcc 9300( there is a couple different blacks they offer as well) this one seems to be the "darkest" and the one of preference. While I personally prefer it to other blacks(its just deeper/richer) than others I have used on suspension parts, etc,

For example I painted my frame with a different brand single stage gloss black and at the end of the day gloss black is gloss black....only you will know, to everyone else its just black :)

DCC 9300 was sprayed on my car below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. true, by definition.
    neat thing about the "absence of color" in black, it reflex every color around it, so when you look at it, you do not see an absence of color.
    buy black and then add black to it.:D

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I highly recommend dark black.

7. Some guys don't get it I gather.
    They are all black until you park next to another "BLACK one. Then its all different. Some dont know why but can tell a difference- some general public dont know better.

Very few are a pure black and those are the WOW blacks that the OP is talking about. Most all have a bunch of other toner colors.
    A good black paint job is invisible, all you see is reflection - like a mirror. You can't see a mirror you see the reflections.

Nothing looks better than a clean black ride , but you can't keep it clean for more than 5 mins.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  8. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

This is what I use as well, it's BLACK

9. How do YOU manage to get that much time out of it?

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Black Centari about 18 years ago.

Attached Files:

11. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Man that thing is swweeeeet!!!

12. ppg 9300 black on a '58 caddy limo on a new england fall day.

Attached Files:

13. woodypecker

woodypecker

I had a chevy equinox which was granite black metalic and I loved it untill my friend sayed it looked like I had not cleaned the winter salt off. Good luck with whatever you choose.

14. Centari is one of if not the best looking blacks.

15. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

I'd say that's the best black! Stay away from that yellow black because that shit looked like....well, shit! :D

16. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Ford is more of a dark brown. True black look to mercedes.

17. cafekid

cafekid

I use PPG Concept BLack, DCC9300. with the 9300, you can use supercharger as a hardener. It makes dry time go from hours to minutes. It is the truest black out there right now as far as I am concerned

18. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Does it matter what kind of paint, laquer, enamel, or urathane to give the best black?

I have an old Ford that has a good deep black and I have wondered if it is the pigment of the paint or that it is laquer that gives it the deep "black hole" look. I have other black cars that are enamel but they just are not the same.

Neal

19. belair

belair

The pics on that Caddy are surreal. And showcase an awesome paint job.

20. It depends on techniques , and freshness or oxidation levels but centari enamel with no clear just cut and buffed on my car always looked 10 times blacker and deeper than the others I've EVER seen. Now I haven't seen them all but one hell of a lot of them.

21. thanks, i had to hold the camera upside down in the first picture so the trees would look right side up. i also had to keep a body line in the photo so it would look like a reflexion.

22. jpinstriper

jpinstriper

toyota 202 seems to be the deepest black. gm wa8555 has a brown tint that really shows up in direct sunlight. ford ua looks a little washed out in my opinion just my 2 cents.:)

23. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I wanted the deepest, darkest black that was available, so the body shop foreman told me to go with toner black, which is the black base color that other colors get mixed into to make all the various factory off-black colors that you see. By itself, there is no darker, more pure black.

[​IMG]

-KK

24. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

"Originally Posted by brigrat [​IMG]
    Black Centari about 18 years ago."

"31Vicky with a hemi"
    Centari is one of if not the best looking blacks.

I agree with both of the above. Also, the primer color will make a difference, Black over Red primer vs Gray primer, yes, there is a difference in the apparent depth of the paint.
    I repair and spray a lot of musical instruments, guitars mostly. In the clear coat, I'll add a tiny bit of pearl to bring out the depth. Example, Gold pearl on wood toned instruments brings out the depth of the wood grain.

25. "Once you go black, you never go.....past a car wash without stopping!" :eek:

DCC 9300, or DMD647 strong black toner/clearcoated. The 'traditional' choice would be DAR9000 acrylic enamel ;) ---my 3 favorite blacks, all blacker than sitting in a basement at midnight with sunglasses on:cool:

26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Black is beautiful....

[​IMG]

27. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

9300/9700...its as black as you can get, its the only color that has only black toner in it,, all other blacks have some other toners added....period

28. scottb356

scottb356

Mercedes black I put on a 356. One of the truest blacks I've found. Same black on a Harley tank under flourescents

Attached Files:

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I can't remember the code, but I remember looking for a black/black at one point and found a Mercedes black that was what seemed to be the blackest of the blacks. Visit your local paint store and take a gander at the books.