Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 Chevy 5 window find, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Chevy5w, Jan 24, 2013.

1. 31Chevy5w

31Chevy5w
    from Oregon

Hey everyone, I'm new here and figured I would just post on here to get some much needed help. I Don't have much experience with old vehicles in general but have always been intersted in building one. I recently decided to jump in head first and didn't know what I wanted, I was thinking an old chevy truck or something until I came across an ad for a 31 chevy 5 window coupe and fell in love.

Its just the body, frame, hood, radiator, and headlights and the guy is asking $2000 firm. To me it seems like a bit much but I also want a Chevy and it seems they are more rare in the older years. I've been watching it for about a month and he had it at $4000 first and dropped it to the $2000 that its currently at.

If I have to I can try and post pics but it looks to be in relatively good shape aside from some rust. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. 31Chevy5w

31Chevy5w
    from Oregon

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Heres the pics, this should help with determining the value.

3. If it's all there window regs, door hardware, garnish mouldings etc.it is well worth it in my opinion. The body looks good. Is there a deck lid? Finding parts for a 31 chevy is alot more of a challenge than a 31 ford.

4. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hard to build.. you either have to replace all the wood or replace with steel bracing before you can even think about building it....

6. 31Chevy5w

31Chevy5w
    from Oregon

The ad says just Body, frame, hood, a nice radiator, and headlights so I don't think anything else will be included. I was planning on doing some sort of rat rod, so I don't really need it to be complete. Thanks for the fast response.

7. kscarguy

kscarguy

Yes, it is worth it. I would not use that front suspention, unless it is a MII. The body looks very nice. Be carefull with chopping the top on a 31 Chevy, they have a short windshield to begin with. Does he have the grill shell too? I would buy at that price.

8. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Please read more about the site before saying rat rod. People are sure to correct you. Site is for traditional hotrods and customs good luck with it tho I'd be a buyer at 2k

9. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Remember that these old Chevys are a wood frame with the body nailed to it or lookup the builds here on the HAMB, I built a 31 sedan and I used the wood only because it was all new but it was bought in 1983 now the wood is around 3 4 grand I think.
    You can always build the body inner structure from metal like many do here.
    I will never build another stage coach with metal over the top.

Attached Files:

10. 31Chevy5w

31Chevy5w
    from Oregon

Wow you guys are fast! as for the hard to build comment, I have zero welding experience but I'm sure I could learn fast and this will take at least 5+ years for me to finish as I don't have alot of time to work on projects. I think I can handle it, if anything it will be a good experience.

11. 31Chevy5w

31Chevy5w
    from Oregon

I don't think the suspension is included. As for the grill shell I'm not sure, I'll find out if I decide to go through with this. I say rat rod as that was my original plan, but we all know that changes! I'm sure if I got it I would want to do more work to make it more show worthy.

12. kscarguy

kscarguy

No welding experience...whoa.

It takes a LOT of welding to build an early hotrod...(or a lot of cash to pay someone to do it for you.) Maybe you should pass and find something more complete and easier to build like a 40 ford, 37 chevy, or a 57 chevy. You need something that is a roller.

13. got doors or trunk lid? I believe you can get a fiberglass lid, but no doors could haunt you as they aren't cheap when you find them. Done a few early Chevys, but they are a bit of work removing wood and replacing with metal. No welding experience? You might be in over your head, as there will be a lot of 1"x1" square tubing bent and welded in to make the body solid. Price isn't bad though...just make sure it's got doors

14. I would probably buy it... If it where me. But it's you. By the sounds of it your not an experienced builder. No harm in that. We all started somewhere. But I think you'll get in over your head with this one. Not for the faint of heart. Not by a long shot.

15. jmpowie

jmpowie

If you dont have a garage, a good welder, a ton of time and money, you should not do a 31 chevy. I just built a 29 chevy roadster, a wood framed car is a lot harder than I thought when I bought it. I would look around for a t-bucket or something someone started and lost intrest, get some welding under your belt then try a early chevy. You can turn 2grand worth of chevy body pannels into 100 bucks of scrap in a few hours of bad welding. That is just my 2 cents but do what you want its your money.

16. Black Primer

Black Primer

I would try to locate some doors before I decided. $2000 is allot if it turns out to be yard art.

17. 31Chevy5w

31Chevy5w
    from Oregon

All replies so far have been very helpful and much appreciated. Yes there are doors included, I didn't list them but they are in the third pic. I've honestly put off building something for very long because I lack experience, and also time was an issue.
    I'm getting to the point where I want to learn how to do it and the only way is experience as I have no one to teach me. Whats different in a 37? metal floors I assume.
    Sounds like a have some more research to do. Either way I'm picking up a welder soon to practice and hope to join a class of some sort to learn the correct techniques.

18. Black Primer

Black Primer

Go for it! Make him an offer, sounds like you have the passion and there's only one way to learn. Good luck on your project.

19. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Building an early Chevy is more work than I originally thought. I've been building and modifying stuff for a while now and was surprised at how much work it is.

If you are not worried about the time then I say jump in. I would compare the wood replacement to eating eating an elephant ... one bite at a time. Take your time and make sure everything is square and you will end up with a nice "different" hot rod.

20. TurboX2

TurboX2

What everyone is saying is with your lack of experience you should look for a car that is not wood framed. Early Chevys had alot of wood in the framing and they will swarm on an unexperienced builder. For your first build it would be best to find a car that is all steel to get your feet wet on. That car is in fair shape for the price and do what you want but, be very carefull and good luck.

21. That's the best start...as some said find something less wood....why? my first real build was a 31 chevy pickup...learned a lot. It's not impossible.....after that i did a 28 chevy in about 2 weeks of nights fully skinned in metal.
    Just take your time...as someone stated, you don't want to spend 2k and end up with 100 in scrap

22. I think Rod & Custom had a similar Chevy coupe feature car couple years back. May have been on the cover? No fenders, shiny black and oh so nice....

Welding class? Great idea! I took a class 15+ years back -forgotten most of what I had picked up in high school shop class. Yep, I was the oldest person the the class -including the instructor. WELL WORTH IT AND LOTS FUN!

23. It's been said with your lack of skills you should not try it. Go for an all metal car If you want a 31 find a model A. There are many books and articles on building one.
    The Chevrolet is one hell of a first try. You might get in over your head then get discouraged and give up. Try a simpler project.

24. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

I got my 1928 chevy in similar condition for a lot less. My comment is $2000 is not that great of a deal when you consider how much more work it needs.

I am also a non-welder and now wish I bought a "roller" as suggester by others. I'm going to stick with it and finish it someday, because I'm not a quitter, but knowing what I know now, I feel I have no choice but to suggest another, more complete, and easier to get parts for, car....

However, if you get the chevy, we will be able to go thru the process (pain?) together via the HAMB! :D

25. p.a.r.k.e.r

p.a.r.k.e.r

not a bad start i d buy it for the price if you got skills go for it at worst tou can resale it an probably make some money good luck ps dont be scared :cool:

26. Murphbar

Murphbar

My first build was a 31 Chevy 5 window too. I knew nothing and did not have a welder or experience. The previous owner of my car started to replace the wood with 1x1 so I had the general idea. Start with easy areas to build confidence and go from there. Keep those Chevys on the road.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. Yeah it's a lot of work but it's worth it. When I got my 31 Pontiac the longest piece of wood left in her was about a foot long.

JMO but don't use and IFS suspension if you don't plan on running fenders. I used the stock front springs (dearched) and mounted the axle above it to drop her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. 55chevr

55chevr

Body is wood frame with tin skin over it. I passed on a nice 35 Chevy when I looked at what it would take to make the doors close. Wood doors are tough to make work correctly. Price is cheap enough but you are taking on a tough build.

Joe

29. 31Chevy5w

31Chevy5w
    from Oregon

While I think It's worth $2000 I don't think that its a deal at that price. Funny thing is when he had it at $4000 I thought I would take it if he accepted $2000! Nice Pontiac Kerry, and I was already thinking I would'nt take that front suspension even if he offered.
    For some reason I just can't see myself with another vehicle, I just love the look of these 5 windows. Since I'm in no rush I might just pick it up and go from there. I'll let you guys know either way. Thanks for all the help guys, its greatly appreciated. keep throwing out suggestions too.

30. pila38

pila38

Like you said, the only way you're going to learn is to do it. Best of luck with it!