Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm fresh meat here, I guess.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Geoff Churchill, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Geoff Churchill

Geoff Churchill

I've known of the HAMB for years, but only just stumbled into it yesterday. When I was a kid, I was into hot rods and customs. My first ride was a freshly retired white liquor hauling 40 Ford Coupe a sweet car. I was green as grass. I only found the tank when I had to pull out the bench seat to install a new seat cover I'd been given. Had to sell the car to go to college.

After I busted out of my first college I got into Georgia State College of Business Administration (I only had to prove that I was whjite and a high school graduate to get in). It's all growed up as GA State U. now. I needed a car for the commute and bought a kinda ragged 51 Fotd ragtop. Before I was done with it, it was nosed and decked, had frenched headlights courtesy of 53 Merc rims. I swapped in a junkyard 55 Ford Y block.

When I got into a better college, eventually my folks had me sell the Ford and bought me a nice 54 Bel Air Hardtop.

When I was finished with college, I got into sports cars. Was even a Triumph and Toytooter dealer until I caught my partner embezzling and made him buy me out.

I autocrossed for quite a few years, then got into SCCA road racing for even more years. Won some, lost some, killed a couple of cars along the way. Retired from work in 1998 and moved to the country near Toccoa GA. Found a place with a starter shop building which I later expanded. Turned out to be the right place for me - cars on blocks in the yard are almost required.;)

I have a lousy back and lost a lot of feeling in lower legs and feet, even after surgery. That might work OK on a circle track but not on a road course. In 2004 I was halfway through the second race of a not very good (for me) Double weekend at V.I.R. when it came to me. "I don't wanna be on the same race track as some S.O.B. who drives like I do now." At that moment, everything I had that was strictly for racing was for sale. I had pretty good stuff and didn't price greedily so it was gone within a few months.

I ended up paying too much for a raggedy ass 1939 Chev Master Deluxe 2 door sedan, but it was the one I could find for sale. I'm sharing shop space and equipment with a buddy across the road from me. Ray's working on a '64 LeMans ragtop future faux GTO and a '50 Pontiac fastback 2 door that we dragged out of the woods hoping he can make it a street rod.

The Chubby Chebby is still not done but we're closing in on it. The frame turned out to be toast so I busted for a Fatman setup with most of the goodies. Drive train is 455 Buick, Gearstar TH400, limited slip Ford 9". Suspension is coilovers all around, Mustang II front, triangulated 4 bar rear. Body work is mostly done, expect to hit the frame with chassis black in a week or so. Still a lot of work ahead.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

2. Welcome to The HAMB - nothing wrong with a chubby chebby

3. cederholm

cederholm

Welcome from the big apple

4. Great introduction! Welcome from central Iowa!

5. yardgoat

yardgoat

Agree great intro,welcome from Rockmart,Ga.....................YG

6. Great intro.
    Welcome from Michigan.

7. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Geoff---you get the Thurs. intro award. That and a quarter gets you coffee--welcome from Rowlett, TX.

8. Welcome from Rockmart GA! Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup and Ozelle the '55 Ford send friendly horn honks. Love the story about the '40 Ford moonshine hauler. Shine runners loved '40 Ford coupes because they were common enough not to attract attention, responded nicely to the hot rodder's touch, and could carry a big load of shine. My father did a lot of hitchhiking in his Army days--I remember him telling about the time he was hitchhiking back to Ft Benning and was picked up by a shine runner in a souped up '40 Ford coupe. The shine runner was travelling on business and had a load to deliver, but he was a WWI vet who wasn't about to leave a soldier standing on the side of the road. He delivered Daddy to Ft. Benning before he delivered the shine to Phenix City.

9. Geoff Churchill

Geoff Churchill

FWIW, I was born in Brooklyn of poor but dishonest parents.

10. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

11. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Hey from Tennessee and welcome

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Fresh meat ?

" I love ya man !! not in a gay way ,,but a jail kinda way. I'll call you Otis,,and you can call me Bubba. I gotta carton of Viceroys......"

13. Nice intro. Welcome to the HAMB!

14. its the hamb not prison

15. toolman1967

toolman1967

Welcome from Southern Illinois. Sorry to hear about your health issues. I have almost the exact same issues and these guys treat everyone pretty good. They dont seem to mind it you can walk or not.:)

16. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Jeeezz, you thought exactly the same thing. Friday nite date nite at the lock down, thank god for soap on a rope.:rolleyes:

17. bronco gasser

bronco gasser
    BANNED
    from GB WI

18. Welcome to the Hamb,,I must say this is should be model of how to post a introduction,,well done!

Keep hammering away on the 39 Chubby Chevy and post some photos,,we love photos. HRP

19. Thanks for the introduction and welcome!

20. dad-bud

dad-bud

Ummmm, does everyone posting today realise that when Geoff posted his original post it was nearly 2 years ago?
    It is a fine example of an Intro post, obviously apart from eliciting a response about him being Bubba and someone lusting for some prison-love thing. - errrrghhhhh!!!! Even cigarettes were mentioned!!!!!!
    Apart from that, all is good.
    Cheers.

21. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

22. Welcome from CT!