Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air Bag Compressor Question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aeroman, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Aeroman

Aeroman

Hey fellas, I am getting to the point to start buying my airbag management stuff for my 1947 Chevy Fleetline Aerosedan. I will be running Firestone 2600's all around. A credible source told me to get a pair of Viair 450 compressors, using 2 - 3-gallon tanks w/ 3 ports each. I am not an expert in air systems so please bare with me.

As many of you know, you don't hop bombs like you do with mini-trucks and impalas (well, I certainly don't). But I would like to get a nice smooth quick lift and smooth drop. I won't be doing it constantly but enough to show my bombita can slam.

So, would the pair of Viair 450's be adequate? Or this 480 model I have been reading about? Thanks...

Aeroman

2. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

those viaair 450 are great compressors, i know plenty of people useing them and they love them, now about your speed its all about the size or your line fittings and valves i wouldnt go smaller than 1/2 if you want it quick i see your in temcula, i dont know if hes still there but brian jendro at brand X customs is the king of airbags go and talk with him

3. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I use 2 Viair 450s and 1/2 inch electic valves with 1/2 inch line. Its perfect.

4. Aeroman

Aeroman

Thanks for the feedback! What tank sizes do you use? How fast does it lift with your current set up?

5. Squablow

Squablow

You might also consider using a converted York or Sanden air conditioning compressor driven off of your engine to air up your bags. I have a set of bags with valves and a Sanden compressor just looking for the right car to put them in. Maybe my '46 Chev?

6. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

id go with the viair 450's...but everyone said that already...

7. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

thats what i'm running 2 viar 450's, 3/8 stainless hard line, 5 gallon tank and SMC 3/8 electric solenoid valves, works great

Attached Files:

8. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

the york compressor looks like poo in the engine compartment of an old car IMO.

9. Squablow

Squablow

I'll agree with that, but I'm not sure how well a pair of electric pumps are going to look in the trunk of an old car (unless they're hidden) and also, the electric pumps are really loud and annoying (at least the ones I've dealt with are) and the engine pumps are pretty quiet. Maybe a round Sanden pump mounted down low, with a Delco-Remy generator tag on it as a disguise?

10. Aeroman

Aeroman

So Viair 450's it is....the 480's may be overkill?

This is the shopping list I have for the air management system (any comments/feedback are welcomed please!):

• 2 - 450 viair compressor ($189.99 ea @ Suicidedoors)
    • 2 – 3 gal SS Tank with 3 ports each
    • SMC Parker Valves ¼ npt port (8 switches) http://www.pacificairtechnology.com/pacificair/auto_solenoids.cfm
    • airbag brackets (suicidedoors.com)
    • ½ in diameter air lines
    • one pressure switch 85/105 PSI or 110/150 PSI ($17)
    • chrome oil filled gauge
    • $280 for airbags 2600’s (4)

11. 59 brook

59 brook

in MHO if you are going with 1/2" line why use a 1/4" inlet valve ?this would defeat the purpose of having 1/2" lines

12. Aeroman

Aeroman

Good point...make that 1/2" inlet valves

13. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

14. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Everything looks good. As other said though, up your fill valves to 1/2" port, the 1/4" valves are slow. For dump valves though 1/2" will dump your car to the ground like a brick(esp. in front w/engine weight). You can add "flow controls" to your dump valve that lets you adjust the dump rate with a thumb-screw. Then you can slow the dump however you want it, and balance the front dump rate to match the rear dump rate. Otherwise, the front always dumps faster cuz of engine weight.

Heres a link to the flow controls, they are only $10 each from suicidedoors, they work with 3/8" valves, which are fine for dump valves. you'll need 4.
    Link:http://www.suicidedoors.com/products/flow_controls.htm

Also for the pressure switch, 85/105 psi is way too low. I would get an adjustable switch, adjusts to 200 psi, you'll probable want to set yours at 150-175 psi.
    Link: http://www.suicidedoors.com/products/adj_pressure-switch.htm

hope this helps

15. MP4/8

MP4/8

If you want to keep your viair warranty, don not use an adjustable pressure switch, or one that is for more than Viair rates the compressor for. For so long the Viair 450 has been the standard compressor everyone uses, so you are definately safe using it. But if you haven't purchased yet, look into the Viar 460. It is basically the 450, with the bigger head, cylinder, and leader hose like the 480 has. And the cost is similar to the 450. Go here to see one
    http://www.innovativeairsuspension.com/store.php?crn=57&rn=812&action=show_detail

16. Aeroman

Aeroman

Woa, that's a lot of great info! I will re-adjust my shopping list then. That Volvo is freakin sick!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

17. Aeroman

Aeroman

By the way, did that Volvo have them silencers on them?

18. Aeroman

Aeroman

So what would be a good pressure switch that would not void the Viair warranty?

19. preferolschool

preferolschool
    from Dallas, TX

I'd use 1/2 inch hose with 3/8 solenoids. I'd use 5/8 or 3/4 hose with 1/2 solenoids. The hose is sold by od measurement.

Unless I was trying to hop 3/8 SMC's at 150 psi (what the viair and the smc's are rated to as best I know) are plenty fast for me, but I guess that is kind of subjective.

I'd seriously look into a york vs running 2 450's. The money isn't that different (prolly cheaper then the viairs if you fab your own brackets and definitely cheaper if you fab brackets and junkyard source the compressor or suicide doors has yorks for cheaper than airlift I believe) .
    plus with two 23 amp draw compressors the electric system is prolly gonna require some beefing up I'd guess a big aftermarket alt and atleast an ultima batt, maybe two. I quickly killed the factory alt on a latemodel pu with just
    1 450 with 1 5 gallon, but maybe that was just a coincidence.

Also I have had good luck with air rides and airlifts pressure switch.
    Good luck
    Ryan

20. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

no that was without silencers

21. Aeroman

Aeroman

Wow, I cant imagine how it would work with silencers! :D

22. I aim running one 450 and a 5 gallon on my 47 fleetline, 1/2" lines and the Easystreet Autopilot controller... I should have the install done in the next few weeks..

After playing with a friends mustang with similar valves and 1/2" line it'll be plenty fast for me.

23. Aeroman

Aeroman

how much are them silencers?

Also, about how much would an Oasis Compressor run me? A DECENT Oasis compressor, thanks.

24. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

wow got anymore pics?

25. Ratfink1915

Ratfink1915
    from Ohio

Ever consider running hardlines? I personally like them a lot, although they can be a pain in the ass to install they are pretty damn reliable. The hard plastic lines are even more of a bitch to install in my opinion. Silencers are nice if you don't want to scare people, but why wouldn't you want to do that?