Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheapo HEI distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smilin Jack, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

It's going in a Model A soon. I have a narrowed 9 inch rear end and a bad itch for another Model A. LOL

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a cheap distributor when the original equipment one died after 30 plus years, and....so far it is working but I seldom drive the car. 1978 Corvette. Don't tell the Vette guys:) It is original except for the distributor.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  3. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I think I'm going to live happily with my old points distributor. I've used points for 50 years and think can go another fifty.
    Course, that'll make me 114 years old but I think I can do it.

4. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I talked to the ebay guy that sold me the distributor. he sez it won't work with an ordinary 12 volt coil that it has to be some other kind of coil. Is that true? seems to me a coil is a coil.

5. GrimGreaser

GrimGreaser

I fire a HEI module with the points in my Hudson distributor. Search the web for "points to HEI conversion". You can use a Ford TFI unit without much trouble too. I use a regular stock coil for a 1965 Chevy C20.

6. chubbie

chubbie

read your thread, the answers are here if you look. I'm not up to speed on this small HEI.. havn't got a clue what you are talking about. looked in JEGS ect. looks to me like these are electronic ignition dist. that does not make them an HEI. GM came out with the High Eneregy Ignition, (HEI) in 1975, please correct me if i'm wrong...but any thing else would be something else

7. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

We're mixing and wasting words here. It probably is an electronic ignition distributor instead of a HEI distributor. Only problem is, the thing won't fire and the seller says it needs a import coil instead of the common old coil I've used for 50 years. Simple question is, true or false? My thought is, a coil doesn't know where it came from, import or domestic.

8. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

No idea on that style, but I have bought a couple of the $50 HEIs with the coil in the cap. I pull the modules and add extra heat sink compound and have had no issues. Figured they couldnt be worse than the 30 year old ones I had kicking around, so far they have worked great.
    Do you have a link to the style distributor you bought? I want to check it out and see what is up with it.

9. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

310557053205 Ebay part number

10. n847

n847

I have the exact same distributor on my SBC I bought it at a swap meet, can't remember the brand off the top of my head. But yes you need the coil that goes with it. I'm pretty sure its just a regular HEI coil with a bracket to mount it with (I think). Any way the dude you bought it from has the coil that goes with it for under 35 dollars. He should have been able to tell you that you needed that coil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ignitio...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec50c8e71

11. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

He did but I didn't believe him. Figured he wanted to sell me a coil.

12. n847

n847

I don't blame you for being skeptical. I just had to go look thats actually the same dude I bought my flexible dip stick from last year.

Here are a couple of pics from my build thread that show the distributor and the coil. I now have the coil mounted inside the firewall after the eingine swap. Its been on there 2 years with no real problems.

13. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

I've never seen them before...but a little googling i came up with procomps web site...http://store.procompelectronics.com/c-17-pc7000-series.aspx

I like the idea of them being so compact...but availability of parts could be a draw back...might need to stock up on the replacement parts....

14. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

The distributor was just a temporary thing anyway until I can get a MSD or something. It just chapped me that the ad didn't mention that I had to have his coil. If it said I needed one, so be it but it just said external coil. I'll make it work but for now my old points distributor is working great up to some pretty high RPMs. I cranked the engine last night and it scared some folks a half mile away. LOL Thanks all. HAMB is the best.

15. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

BTW, the reason it ran so badly yesterday after getting the distributor in, I had put a rectangular port tummelram on heads with oval ports with oval port gaskets. Replaced intake gaskets and all is well. sometimes I can pass for the village idiot.

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

It is not as simple as "back in the day" where you can use any coil out there.Today's electronics are a whole lot different a read through a Summit catalog will show you that many of the coils now available have different rates of resistance to match different makes of distributors,so you do have to match them up.Would you gain by buying an MSD? maybe take some time and read this:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...14.0.les;cpsugrpq1high..0.0...1.1.DhnL-9BQh_g :( Outsourcing rears it's ugly head again. :mad: