Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trying to route 24" SS braided brake lines in front.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Hey guys,
    I'm finishing up my front suspension on my 54 using 2600lb air bags, 5" stroke shocks etc on my 54 Ford and I'm running into issues trying to run the SS braided brake lines from the calipers to the frame without getting pinched, dragging the ground, rubbing the tire etc.

Basically my question is, since its actual braided SS lines, can it rub on the A-arms or tie rods worse case with out fear that it will eventually wear through and leak? If not, I'm open suggestions :)

Thanks in advance!

2. garagebuilt51

garagebuilt51

on my 51 the calipers are towards the rear of the car. the banjo fittings on calipers point diagonally towards the rear of the car. the ssb line has a smooth curve when the wheels are straight. i used the "P" shaped tube clamps on top of the frame with a couple wraps of electrical tape around the line to keep from metal to metal. they do not rub or even come close at any height or turn.

3. I used these to mount the flexible brake line to the lower control arm on my '53.

I ran it along the rear edge of the arm to the pivot point by the frame, and then mounted to the frame.

I left enought slack to turn lock to lock all the way up and all the way down, no issues with the brakes for the last 4 or 5 years. :)

[​IMG]

4. twisted-metal

twisted-metal
    from san jose

24" seems a little long to me. Most of the time i use 15". You might want to use some rubber hose and do a mock up with various lengths to see if a shorter length would work better.

5. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

yeah i agree on the 24" length, at the time I just got as long as possible cuz I knew there was going to be huge ride height changes.

My calipers are farthest forward on the car, and the lines have a 90d fitting from the caliper and the best routing so far is point it back towards the rear of the car, going around the airbag area (below the frame) then pointing towards the front on the inside of the frame where the engine is. It looks like it would only rub the tie rod when no air in bags and it would rub the A-arm most of the time, I like the rubber hose idea. I'll keep after it and see what i can come up with. I might get a shorter hose too.
    Thanks guys!

6. a slight rubbing, with a rubber hose to protect it, would be fine but would need to be watched. pinching NO GOOD.
    i once worked on a car the owner had used a spring to keep the line away from the moving parts. i thought it was kinda cheesy until i tried to make it work without it.