Register now to get rid of these ads!

Differences in flathead intakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fenders53, Jan 21, 2013.

1. fenders53

fenders53
    from Iowa

I started an 8BA project and am curious what the differences are in in aftermarket intakes between the 59 series and 8BA flatty. I notice the application range ends at 1948 for some intakes.

2. Ole don

Ole don

59 took in motor oil in the rear, 8 BA in the front. The intakes can be mixed but not all the bolt holes line up. Usually not a problem.

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

8BA series ('49-'53) has the big, ugly breather tube hole toward the front, driver side. Several 4-bbl types available for the late one, too. Don't think I've ever seen a 4-barrel early style manifold. DD

4. fenders53

fenders53
    from Iowa

My intent was dual 97s or 94s. And what bolts holes don't line up?

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

If you're doing duals, get a late manifold...easy enough to find. Not usually recommended that you mix-n-match the two styles as the two different series blocks breathed differently, hence, part of the re-design on the oil-fill/breathing tube. DD

6. fenders53

fenders53
    from Iowa

I wanted to run an Eddy Slingshot which does not appear to be an option for later manifold. I could do without what appears to be a slobber tube on the 8BA. I was thinking PCV might be a good mod. All I have are two shortblocks at this point, so I am just going off net diagrams now, or the differences would probably be more obvious.

Thanks for the help guys.

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Starting in '49 cars, an open drive line replaced the old torque tube, resulting in a 3 degree engine tilt, so all late F/M intakes have an angled carb flange (to bring the carb back to level), along with the oil fill and road draft ports in the front. Some intakes have more or less mount bolt holes than others, but all intakes can physically fit any year flathead, although fuel pumps/push rod lengths, engine ventilation issues and slight generator mount differences have to be addressed. :)

8. fenders53

fenders53
    from Iowa

Thanks V8 Bob. About the only thing I left stock on my 53 F100 is the ashtray, so the challenges you mention don't sound insurmountable. I just wanted to make sure the ports would line up. This thing doesn't need further complications to it's induction capability.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  9. Early style,,4 barrel on my old sedan. HRP

[​IMG]

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would use a late style regular dual intake with your '53. The carbs will sit right, and will be located more evenly near the intakes with most brands. (One exception is the Edmonds) Early regular dual intakes have the carbs pushed towards the rear for generator clearance because of the "shorter" early engine, and look strange on an 8BA, IMO. Early duals with close spaced carbs have them raised for generator clearance, ie, the famous Edelbrock Slingshot. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  11. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Isn't that a "late-style" ('49-'53) intake with that breather cap above the front spark plug? DD

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER