Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vandalizing a '63 Falcon's engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BurntOutOldMechanic, Jan 20, 2013.

1. F91

F91

Yep, sleeper! Very cool.

2. dblgun

dblgun

Nice clean job you did there.

3. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Man I bet that things scoots! Thanks for a very well-written thread. I enjoyed following along.

4. Great post,,,now it looks like you need the "Shelby Drop",,,get it closer to earth all the way around....:p

5. It handled a whole lot better after I ditched of all the twitchy mix-n-match power steering stuff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

63 Falcon 6cyl P/S center link n' pittman arm , 65 Falcon/Mustang V8 idler arm, 65 Mustang P/S control valve assembly, Granada outer tie rods n' adjuster sleeves, 63 Falcon P/S inner tie rods, unknown/unmarked assist ram, an' some dudes home-made steerin ram mount ...it's stomp-down amazin' this shit all actually steered the car, as bound up as it was.

Dude, I was just too lazy ta' do the Shelby drop when I swapped out all my rusty 50 year old front end junk. It got new upper n' lower control arms, spring perches n' springs, along with new strut rods n' all the bushings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. That little white car is even nicer in person. Always amusing, Al. Anybody else catch that "listening to Monk" part?

Just like your posts, my friend, Straight, No Chaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwfA59_6RFM

7. Old Mech,, shiney stuff underneath is good too,,,,when I did a '63 HTP back in '70 or so, I never heard of the "Drop",,,cut a coil & blocks put mine down. Had to replace those spring trunnions tho'.

8. HoosierBuddy

HoosierBuddy
    from Indiana

I ran that holley fuel pump on my 289 for a while. Had a lot of trouble with it. It always wanted to vapor lock like a SOB. I kind of figure the pump is overkill on a stock SBF and may pull more vacuum in the fuel line than a stock pump, which could contribute to vapor lock?

Don't know for sure. It was bad enough the car (Mustang) was unreliable if the outdoor temperature was above about 95 degrees. Eventually I installed a cheapo electric fuel pump at the tank to pump fuel to holley fuel pump. That band-aid fix worked.

Eventually I converted the car to EFI and that's how it is today with no mechanical fuel pump. It's electric in tank (tank's inc. kit).

So...if you start having trouble with vapor lock...that's where I'd start....ESPECIALLY if you necked up from a 5/16" fuel line to feed the mechanical pump.

Great pictures by the way!

Phil

9. The dude I got the car from had tole' me that he'd replaced the fuel pump recently. When I was doin' the tear down for the cam I discovered this:

[​IMG]

It's kind'a hard ta' see in this picture but note the two piece fuel pump excentric that's missing the outside shell of the excentric, making it a one piece that would never ever give the fuel pump a full stroke.....

This is 'cuz some previous buthcherin' heathen put a later style timin' (chain) set on it and and then discovered 1968 timing cover he chose ta' use wouldn't go back on without removing the outside piece of the fuel pump excentric. This is prolly the same dude that used a piece of all-thread and a nut for a water pump bolt and jacked up the timin' pointer. I ain't a big fan of the two piece so I went with a one piece excentric an' the appropriate timing set for it.

So rather than take a chance on the other over worked pump, I went wit' the Holley. We'll be seein' how it all works out.....

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. Looks awesome Al! I've felt the "before", I'm ready for the "after" ride around the block :cool:

11. I like how organized all your spray bombs are :D

12. Dude, thanks fer' lettin' me use 'yer lift when I did the control arms n' springs n' bein' willin' ta' get on the floor fer' an old burn-out.......

[​IMG]

You got way too much time on yer hands now that ya' finished that Plymouth...now get back to work or I'll post that other picture I got of ya'.......

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  13. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

wow man great thread......very meticulous...alot of detail....I like it.....

14. sololobo

sololobo

I was hoping to see a shot of the whole damn rig, post it up dude. Nice mill work! ~sololobo~

15. Veach

Veach

Damn dude you got me Laughing so hard I had to take a shot and two pills.That was great .I was a diesel monkey for a few years so I know about that airleak and I was in the Army a few years so I know bout them ears too.I had them boys move that tv and put it on the wall sleeping better.I ate at the table the other day which was stupid now no more getting my food brought to me.You motor looks good be glad when I can get back to the shop.Pills are kicking in will let you go.I Thank You Very Much couldn't get thro this by myself.Your Friend Steve

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Not to worry, that excentric will make it's own clearence on the backside of the cover. Did that....once....:D.

17. 60srailjob n' sololobo, thanks for the compliments.

The more I lurk 'round here, the less I realize I know.

Veach, my friend, I'm glad to hear yer' feelin' better. You'll be up in around in no time; belive me brother, I know where you're commin' from.

Experience is a dear teacher, ain't it tommyd?

Sometimes I do shit so stupid, it amazes even me......

That junk yard genius dude prolly gave up when he discovered he couldn't get the pin out'ta the cam ta' put the longer pin in for the one piece excentric.....if he had a longer pin, and the right excentric, and the right timing set....

18. Veach

Veach

Can someone tell me at what point do you stand back and say damn I finished Her ?

19. Stay tuned for: "Vandalizing a '63 Falcon's (1990ish AOD) transmission"....