Register now to get rid of these ads!

"old style" Baby moon caps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40 & 61 Fords, Aug 4, 2010.

1. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

2. alchemy

alchemy

3. chrisman

chrisman

You are right on the shape thing, all baby moons are definitely not equal. They may basically look the same, but it's the difference that matters.

[​IMG]

4. I bought a set on here...two don't fit early Ford wheels...anyone have a couple spares???

5. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I have a set but two of them have a slightly different mounting lip. They don't really want to fully seat on the wheel.

6. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

All four of those fit on my chromed 15" Fords good. Post a pic of the lips, my spare set has two different lips.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

7. Two caps have a lip on the ring that seats in the wheel, but two are flat...the flat ones have nothing for the 4 "nubs" on the wheels to gab. They go on...kind of, but I can pull them off with my hands. No way they are gonna stay on. I've been running the two baldys on one side and a set of old Mercs on the other side for the past year

8. Like Chrisman said 'all baby moons are definitely not equal'

If they won't fit on easily, put the hub caps in the freezer for a day or so and try them again when frozen, they seem to shrink just enough!
    It worked for me.....after I dented the hell out of thin repops on 15" wheels.
    And I suppose if you get a flat, just remove all four!

9. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Here is my NOS set :eek: sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures, the chrome is amazing on these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. I finally found 2 more for my roadster...

[​IMG]

And bought this old Model A last night that has 2 on it

[​IMG]

11. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I found one really nice one at a swap here this past summer.....$2! only 3 more to go!

It's tough to find the right ones here in the rust belt. LOTS of the wrong ones around though.

12. hot tin roof

hot tin roof

Hi,
    I'm looking for a set of "old style" pointy baby moon caps - for Ford 1940-48 wheels.
    Thanks, Roger

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well ear is a real downer. Ugh I have not started my '32 5W build yet I know it will have '35 Ford wires as well as my all time favourite Baby Moons. I just thought that they would easy to find. Bugger, bugger, bugger! Now let's get a proper repro out to the market. With the current love of the old school rides these cap demand to be done.

14. verde742

verde742

Love the "old style pointy baby moon hubcaps.
    To tired to type it out, but check "60's and 70's small Volkswagon hubcaps, (to see how to remove without disturbing paint,) :oops:Two little holes and welding rod bent a certain way..and pull.:rolleyes:

15. hot tin roof

hot tin roof

thanks for the advice verde742. I've seen early Porsche that look the same as the Cal Baby Moon. I guess the diameters would be different? I will keep looking.

16. alchemy

alchemy

I found a pair at swap meet for $7, but my luck shows they aren't early Ford. Not '49 Chevy either. Probably some weird Mopar or something.