Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did you take your drivers license test in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 20, 2013.

1. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Mom's grocery getter....

...a 1966 Dodge Charger, 383ci, automatic

2. Jen......

Jen......

never have had a drivers license , giggles

Jen

3. tenlug

tenlug
    from so cal

My moms 1970 Impala. What cool is I've still got the car.

4. [​IMG]

I went and got my learners license on my 16th birthday in October of 1970. By December of that year i felt confident enough to go for my Drivers Test. My Dad at the time had a new long wheelbase Ford Van. Not the sort of vehicle that you would want to take your test in. So i asked my Uncle if i could use his car. (identical to the car in the pic) a blue 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS. So the morning of the test i go and get the Impala and drive to the government building to pick up the provincial driving test agent.
    So we start off down the road and being December and on the west coast it starts to snow. Those big white wet flakes and the road is getting white.
    Problem #1 > The Impala has summer bias ply tires! So i being extra careful.
    Problem #2> So we come to the first set of traffic lights and i'am gently using the (drum) brakes as it is slippery and as i bring the big Impala to a stop an empty beer bottle rolls out from under the passenger front bucket and stops directly between the driving test agents shoes!:rolleyes:
    He gave me a stern look and asked if i had been drinking & driving! I said no and explained to him that i had borrowed the Impala from my Uncle. He smiled, pushed the beer bottle back under the seat and said we'll proceed with the rest of the test.
    We did & i passed! It was a Drivers Test, I'll never forget!:D

5. ezdusit

ezdusit

A 1953 Mercury Monterey 4-door...

Attached Files:

6. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Took mine in an 18 wheeler. Once around the block and then backed it up along the curb. That was all the test was back then.

7. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

A 3yr. old `65 Belvedere II, layin down 6, tree on-a tree.

8. Kramer

Kramer

'53 Chrysler 4 door straight 6 with fluid drive semi-automatic trans, in 1974.

9. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

'76 Gremlin. The guy didn't know what to think when we walked outside and he saw it.

10. lesbliss

lesbliss
    from Canby OR

1956 Cevy in Kansas from high school drivers ed. Small town and the teacher was the examiner. Six months later had to take the Mo. test in Dad's 1929 model A.

Les

11. An unexciting '60 Bel Air 4 door sedan, 6 popper with 3 on the tree and no power steering.
    I could barely see over the steering wheel as a very small 16 year old back in 1964.
    Thankfully passed the test 1st attempt.

12. 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix, dark blue, 389, 4 bbl.

13. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

A 1954 Buick Special with standard transmission and no power steering. That's right, my Dad bought the Buick new in 1954 and ordered it with standard transmission (3 speed). Anyway, that's what I learned to drive in and that's what I took my driving test in. The parallel parking was a bitch--but I passed the test the first time.

14. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

A 1996 dodge neon lol

15. conormulroney

conormulroney

112-1274_IMG.jpg
    In this on my birthday in 1977: 1965 Morris Mini Minor; right hand drive 4 speed. All 5 of my dad's kids took their test in this car. You lose points for being a smartass when the instructor opens your door for you.
    I have it now and my kids are fighting over which one gets it next.:)

16. Used my parents' 57 Plymouth station wagon in '59. Passed on the first try.

A few months later, I was racing a friend driving the wagon (which
    was Mom's pride and joy) - tried to pass him on a
    hill which was also a curve......saw an oncoming car....yanked the wheel
    too hard to the right and wound up in a big ditch. I wasn't hurt, but the
    car was declared a total. Needless to say, the parents weren't happy.

So, Dad replaced the Plymouth with a new 1960 Chevy wagon===six cyl,
    3 on the tree, plain jane model. I thought that was one of the
    ugliest vehicles ever made. I finally managed to dress it up with a set of
    portawalls, flipper caps and some 59 Caddy lenses glued on over the
    factory lenses.

Parents drove that car a few years til it began using oil because my sister and I
    drove it pretty hard when we used it. Ahhh...the good ole days.

17. Nailhead Jeff

Nailhead Jeff
    from fresno

My 16th birthday Sept 1993 I took it in a 65 Plymouth Satellite convertible. Poly 318 console auto. Still have it.

18. 67chevwag

67chevwag
    from Arizona

My grandmother 59 Ford Fairlane 500, 6cyl, Fordomatic.

19. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

First go round was in my 67 Impala 2dr (283/Powerglide), if the 3 point turn didn't kill me, the parallel parking finished me off. No place to really practice it out in the country where we lived. Second try was in my Mom's '72 Benz 240, a piece of cake after steering that boat.

20. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

1972 Caprice. Parallel parking was awesome.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. catchthis

catchthis

2005 gmc sierra extended cab. Didnt have to finish my parallel park!

22. tnich123

tnich123

A 67 camaro with a 327 and two speed glide.Got points counted off for a little too much go pedal when the back tire barked. Good thing the the instructor was a car guy.

23. smittystoys

smittystoys

67 396 caprice..

24. 1965, Mom's turquoise '61 Galaxie 500 4 dr ht.

25. bigorford

bigorford

1994 In a '62 falcon 4dr 170 and a ford-o-matic. The first tester refused because the car had no seat belts.

26. bowtie40

bowtie40

Borrowed my buddys 57 chev post SBC/4speed with fenderwell headers that hit the tires if you turned to tight. Aced the drivin' part, then came the parallel parking part, man, I was like a dog shittin' peach seeds, nailedit!!! bowie40...

27. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

Took test in 1962, in my Dad's new 1962 four door Chevy Belair. I got to drive my mother around a bit but it was a year before I was ever allowed to drive that car by myself. Times have sure changed in that aspect of life.

28. mrdodge

mrdodge

Mine was a 1963 Morrie Minor with the "big block" 1098cc engine !!!:rolleyes:

29. ironpile

ironpile

55 Chevy 2dr post,6cyl glide,mothers car but I did drive it a lot.Sometimes when I shouldn`t have,if you know what I mean.

30. BornBuick

BornBuick

My brother's 1955 ford. I had just turned 14 and was going for my learners permit that would let me drive from 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. only. I was not that comfortable about shifting his 3 on the tree so I started out with the instructor next to me and then shifted into 2nd gear. It was downtown and traffic was heavy so I thought it best to just stay in 2nd, hoping he would not notice maybe due to the traffic and all. However, my brother's car was geared low so I was tach'n out in 2nd as I made my way around his small downtown course. Come to think of it he probably cut it short realizing I was not shifting out of 2nd but did not say anything to me about it. So I never did shift out of 2nd gear the whole time. When we arrived back at the starting point outside of the old rock motor vehicle building in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, he calmly turned to me and said,
    " Your driving is just fine, however you need to be able to shift the car from time to time " .... and then promptly flunked me before getting out of the car. I came back with my Aunt's 59 ford station a wagon automatic and smoked the test a few weeks later.