Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Going to chop my shoebox in a few weeks. Any advice before I start?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TMoney, Jan 20, 2013.

1. TMoney

TMoney

Hey guys, just wondering if there are any typical problem areas when chopping a shoebox. I have a nice 51 2 door sedan and I'm going to cut it up. :/

Thinking I'm going to cut it 3" up front and 4" in the back. Any helpful hints?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. rat nasty

rat nasty

Read up! Research all the ones from this site and ask for any experienced help from around you and who knows you might end up with a few new buddies! I have! Wish I knew more bout a kustom shoebox...Good luck man!

3. wayfarer

wayfarer

Bob Bleed chopped one on Mad Fabricators vol. 3, if you want to watch someone do the entire chop. I have a copy if you need to borrow it.

4. BRENT

BRENT

Take your time, lay it all out with making tape, use cut-off wheels. Oh yeah if I could do it over again I would cut-out all the window radius pre-chop and weld them back in once lowered. I had to re-make mine from scratch pie-cutting little sections together to get the correct radius, took like a week per side. If I did one again I would definetly do that. I chopped mine 5.5 in front and about 8 in the back and slightly de-crowned. I slanted my B-pillar as well, lots of work but worth it in my oppion.

Brent

5. Rod Ari

Rod Ari
    from Finland

First of all be sure doors and trunk lid fit and work well. After the chop they aren´t better... Be sure all the frame supports are solid. Use a lot of pipe (conduit in MF 3 ;)) to support roofless body.

I chopped just the same amount from my -50 10 years ago. PM me your email address if you want me to send few project pics.

6. TMoney

TMoney

PMs sent. Thanks a lot guys.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

contact Gene Winfield to see if he is going to chop a roof at a show near you this year. doing nine chops at nine different shows this year, one done already.

8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take your time, mark your centerline on the base of the windshield, the top of the windshield, the rear window, and in front of the trunk. Measure three times and cut once... really pay attention to the c pillar area- that's the spot that makes or breaks a chop on any curvy car like a shoebox. Have a couple friends over to help- a few extra sets of eyes never hurt!

9. TMoney

TMoney

Thanks guys. Luckily I'm working with a friend that is a metal master. Just wanted to make sure we didn't make any stupid mistakes that may be common.

10. lawman

lawman

That's some good advice fellow's !!!

11. jamesgardner

jamesgardner

Lots of support widen the roof don't bend the pillars

12. TMoney

TMoney

I'd like to see a side by side of cars where roof was widened vs. moving A pillars in.

13. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Why not do something different and section it. I have only seen one or two in the last 50 years.

14. jamesgardner

jamesgardner

Widening the roof is more work in the beginning, but nicer and less work later. The windows will work, the stainless is just a cut and re-weld. The problem is that because shoebox's come to a point, you have to widen it in 2 places. I chopped mine 3 1/2 in the front, and about 5 in the back. So, as it goes back, the roof gets wider, starting with about an inch in the front and a few in the back. I was happy with the way it came out.

Good luck!

James

Attached Files:

15. jamesgardner

jamesgardner

Oh yeah, widen it just above the pillars. It makes for less body work. Also, on mine, the side front glass is slanted down in the back instead of up, so I flipped the glass and it worked great.

Attached Files:

16. thesupersized

thesupersized

there's a million ways to skin a cat, but for mine(the grey one) we just angled the a pillars worked out fine...took 5" out of the a pillars and 6" verticle in he back. extended the catwalk too. Make sure you get rear window placement right! If you're doing 3" and 4" i wouldn't widen the roof. My brother did his the same way as mine he took 3 1/2 out of his a pillars and it worked out good in his car. He has all his windows and stuff working

Here's a few pics of mine, I am no pro, just doing my best. Still needs vent windows and a bunch of other stuff.

Attached Files:

17. thesupersized

thesupersized

dont bring it to a glass guy either for a windshield. its the easiest to do on these. Just take ur old windshield rubber and cut it into small sections and make a template from wood the same thickness as the original glass. bring template to glass guy and have him cut it out but its easy to install. dont waste your money letting them do the work. i cut my new rubber at the center of the bottom, cut a new "tongue" into the bottom of the new center post rubber so it fits nice in the groove. and i filled the cut lines with some black sealant that the glass guy recommended.

Attached Files:

18. TMoney

TMoney

Damn, I really like the chop on yours. Maybe I'll have to go just a touch lower.

That's a great trick. Thanks!

19. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Do you have any pictures of your car posted on the forum TMoney?

20. TMoney

TMoney

Here you go. I'm kinda going backward I know. Already painted and done new interior. ;)
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1358740071.741380.jpg

21. TMoney

TMoney

ImageUploadedByTJJ1358740178.259767.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1358740199.172937.jpg

22. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Thanks for the pictures. The color and stance is very similar to how I want my shoebox to turn out.

23. TMoney

TMoney

Cool. I think I'm going to lower the rear a bit more.

24. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

Keep us updated, I'm in the same boat as you are.

25. No real need to widen the roof skin, it is actually way more work than angling the posts, there's an awful lot of material to re weld with the chances of warping all to hell as opposed to the minor cuts at the corners of the posts. I have done both ways and would typically do the post any time over cutting the whole skin twice...

26. EBW

EBW

I just subscribed to this thread.
    Im in the same boat also.. i have been reading ALL the threads on this site... lots of great info!

27. Measure once, cut twice..................... Or is it the other way around?

28. TMoney

TMoney

I've been reading them too. Lots of info and techniques.

29. TMoney

TMoney

holy shit!!! That avatar pic!!!