Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheapo HEI distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smilin Jack, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I bought one of the 50.00 shipping included small base Chevy HEI distributors on Ebay. Uses an external coil. Got it installed it sputtered the engine and then nothing else. Put an old points distributor in and fired it up. anybody ever use one of these? Fair looking unit but if it don't run? Has a red and black wire. their tech says red to pos on coil and black to neg. Did that plus the hot wire to pos. side. Is it just junk? Won't fire a spark.

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

First thing to check is voltage to the HEI,it must be 12 Volts + or it won't run so check it with a volt meter.GM's with points used a resistor wire off the starter which sends lower voltage to the points.You need to have your feed wire to the HEI from a wire that turns on and off through the key switch for a full 12 volts.The HEI's that use an external coil have to have a coil with matching resistance or you will have that same problem,did they sell you the correct coil to match?

3. My neighbor bought one of those. Good looking piece. Put it in.. Hit the key and it purred like a happy cat... Until it hit 2500 rpm's. That was all it would pull. I screwed around with it a bit. He had the coil and positive for the distributor on the same wire. The coil required a resistor. I split them and hooked 12 volts to the distributor and left the resistor wire on the coil. Runs fine for the last 6 months.

4. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I bought one of those cheep $55 dis for my 327.When you install it the distributor moves around from side to side at the base.Yea sure the clamp will hold it in place but I don't like the fact that it is sloppy and could move later. I replaced it with a stock distributor and it is nice and tight. You get what you paid for, sure is purdy but worthless if it doesn't perform.

5. 54sled

54sled

Got the same one,never a problem!

6. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i put one in my 327 could not get it to idle below 1200 rpms sent it back . they sent me another one. it runs just fine

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Using two of them for quite awhile, no problems.

8. lawman

lawman

Spend a little more green and not worry about "Hit and Miss".

9. models916

models916

Guys, they are all made in China (Crane MSD Mallory Accel etc). I have used plenty of those $50.00 ones in the years gone by. I always buy 2 and keep one in the trunk. They need 12v and the correct ohm coil to opperate correctly. You can not just use the old distributor wire. You have to run a new one from 12v keyed power without a resistor.

10. captmullette

captmullette

got one on mine for 3 years works fine, it needs good voltage or it will quit....

11. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I bought two new resistors yesterday and both have 13 volts going in and coming out. It's hard to hook up a resistor wrong. LOL Did I get two bad ones or am I stupid?

12. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

BTW, I'm the kind of person that if anything can go wrong, it will. LOL

13. Jack,your luck ain't that bad but you obviously you do get what you pay for. :rolleyes: HRP

14. Depends how you are checking it. If the circuit isn't being turned on when you check it you will indeed get the same voltage in both sides of the resistor. Only when the circuit is on should you see a voltage drop.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

How ya doing HRP? I carried the first bad resistor back to my parts man yestereday and got another one. Kinda feel bad about a second one. LOL maybe today goes better.

16. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Shawn, thanks! Maybe I am stupid. LOL I'll go check that. Now i do feel like the village idiot.

17. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Not exactly a HAMB engine but this is what I'm trying to run on a stand. It's a 454 with a 310 dur. Lunati cam and two 650 Holleys that I want to trade for two Edelbrocks.
    [​IMG]

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

I still can't understand how someone can put thousands of dollars into their cars and then go buy a $50 Chinese distributor made by small children.

19. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

It's because I put my thousands of dollars into the engine and didn't have money for a good distributor. LOL It still doesn't work so I'm putting new wires on my trusty old points distributor.

20. Drive Em

Drive Em

MSD is made in the USA, right down the street from me.

21. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I bought one for $100 a few years ago from Jeg's. It looked to be a reman Accel unit. Nice piece for $100.

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Not everything is USA made :( http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...14.0.les;cpsugrpq1high..0.0...1.1.dYOL37jf4xI After seeing a video from MSD showing the plant in operation it appears that the workers probably can walk to work from the Mexico side of the border,does that mean "Made in the USA" by imported workers with a green card?? Guess Sheriff Joe needs to investigate :D:D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  23. So made in the US isn't good enough, now it has to be made by the "right" kind of people??

24. Drive Em

Drive Em

They probably could walk to work from Mexico, but it is at least 3-4 miles. I know a good majority of the people who work there and I can assure you that they live in the U.S.

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The comment I made was not intended to be racist but to point out that they may be using budget friendly practices that really do not benefit American workers who actually live here,but the real point lies here:http://www.complaintsboard.com/comp...msdignitioncom-jackson-california-c97337.html

26. chase knight

chase knight

Crane only recently began offering an HEI distributor, primarily for spec oval track use. It's certainly not in the $50.00 range, and it's manufactured and assembled in the U.S.A. Regards, Chase

27. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Never got the cheapo distributor to fire. Put my points distributor in and it ran. Not good but ran. The back Holley seems to be just a big vacuum leak. It's getting fuel but it just won't run at idle at all. Stuff rags in the back carb and it idles . Runs like crap but idles. Time to back up and regroup a while.

28. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Anybody see why that back carb is acting like a big vacuum leak? LOL I don't have a clue. Yet!

[​IMG]

29. Hugh in NC

Hugh in NC

I tried 1. Ran okay for about 3 months, then the vacuum advance went out.

Hugh

30. Maybe the back carb is protesting not being installed in a hot rod. Carb have feelings too, no?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad