Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Curious-How Many Kookie Clones Are There & Where?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Rod God, Jan 10, 2013.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Pretty sure he used a Chrysler product aluminum box.

2. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

According to the Rodder's Journal issue, Norm had a Chevy steering box and then switched over to a Ross steering box out of a milk truck which steered backwards!

Norm drove it to Valley Custom steering the opposite way to show them, and they told him how to fix it.

3. Just got my new R&C mag. A loos rendition (only sorta) on the cover of Norms T when it was Black. It actually refers to Roth's Tweetiy Pie as inspiration. However, inside on page 70-71 is a full photo of the Man himself from 56 years ago. What a guy. Don't we all wish we could make 1/2 the impact Norm did.
    The Wizzard

4. Cecil

Cecil

A few years ago I sent Norm dvd's of his Kookie T on 77 Sunset Strip. We got to talking on the phone about knee replacment and he had me cracking up for over a hour. What a funny guy he was.They don't come any better than Norm !!! Miss him so much. Cecil

5. The Rod God

The Rod God

Don, Uncle Norm was born in Maplewood, NJ. For Uncle Norms health the family (his Father, Mother, Brother & Sister) moved to So. Calif in 1945 when he was 12 yrs. old. He had severe asthma and was told the climate would be better for him. They loved their son, Noni, very much. They moved to Sun Valley. Later to the Sunland/Tujunga area on Barling St. (where the Kookie Car was built) and then building a custom 5 bdrm/3 bth home on Wornom Ave.

The Arkansas move was made because the family was tired of the "Rat Race" of L.A. and with the influence of some family friends who moved to the Harrison, Arkansas area. We all took a drive to Harrison, Ark and when Uncle Norm found out there was a lake and the prices were so much less than L.A. it was a no brainer. So it was a family decision. Uncle Norm was very close to his Father/Mother and loved them dearly. For that matter we have always been a very close, loving family. That good Polish stock...

That move consisted of several trips. We rented a house in Diamond City, Arkansas first while our house in Lead Hill (Tucker Hollow) was being constructed. Uncle Norm went to Calif. a few times. At age 15 I learned to drive in his custom built Black Lacquer 54' Ford F-100 while he was away on one of his trips. It was the only vehicle he left us. Photo is of his truck, HIM and my brother, Norm just before we made the move. It was Uncle Norm, his Father/Mother (Tony/Mania) and my brother Norm & I. Me being 15 yrs. old at the time.

We all really loved living there on Bull Shoals Lake. Uncle Norm loved the solitude and peace even though he was such a social butterfly. He also always loved living near water. When still living in Calif. he had the dream of living on a sailboat. But he never followed through with it. Instead we were members of the Newport Sailing Club and went out occasionally on a 25 footer. Kurt Hamilton has a great story about the time he went with us. Boy...I should write a book huh? LOL

Attached Files:

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Mary, thank you for that information and a peek into Norms life. I always wondered how a California guy would end up in the hills of Arkansas. :)

Please do write that book, it would be a real seller as you can probably tell by the admiration we all have for Norm. In our one shop my Son Don has an autographed and personalized poster he got from Norm in Daytona one year. It means more now that he is gone than ever before. I also have a letter Norm wrote to me some years ago, after I wrote to him. I was blown away that one of my heros actually took the time to handwrite a letter, but that was just the way he was.

Don

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Early 60's Dodge Dart or Valient?

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Mary what a great idea writing a book. Tom Ivo (first clone) just came out with a biography. It would be great to see all of Norms pictures and history in one book. I know I would be first on the list for a copy. The guy that wrote Ivo's book would be a good one to help and I am sure he would jump at the chance. Another author if you don't think you are up to the challenge of a book would be Pat Ganahl. I don't know of anybody that I would rather read than Ganahl.

Gary

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just picked up a new Hot Rod Deluxe Mag. Some good info and photos of Norm and he's car. In one photo there is a "unidentified toddler drinking a beer. Of course we all know who that child is.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. The Rod God

The Rod God

Well Gary it's not ME! HAHA...that would be my brother Norm. I wonder how they got that photo? I have not seen the magazine as of yet..Been told it's a great article. Mary

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I stand corrected. Don't think you mentioned your brother before. Must have been fun being around uncle Norm all your life.

12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Hot Rod Deluxe

Attached Files:

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Has anyone ever asked Norm what the "lightbulb moment" was when he got the idea to revamp the first black version into the radically different second TV version ? I mean, all of us make subtle changes in our cars over time, but Norm went a totally different direction. Makes you wonder what he didn't like about the first one that caused such a major redo.

I wish I had asked him that question when we met him that one time years ago.

Don

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Don

I actually didn't ask Norm that either but I think through everything I have read I might have some insight. I have been reading everything I could find on Norms "Kookie Kar" for 60+ years.
    First we have to remember Norm was an artist with an artistic eye. I also believe he had a rebellious and competitive personality back then.
    First the car started out as a flathead powered Model A that he bought. Norm has said that for some reason he thought it would be easier to register if he replaced the A body Model T body. Then he talked his parents into replacing the engine in their almost new Cadillac so he could get the old one for the roadster. After all was done he came up with the radical roadster pictured in my post above. Those pictures were taken in 1955 (you can read the license plate tag.
    About then was when Ivo saw Norm at Bob's Big Boy and asked Norm if he minded if he copied it. Norm sarcastically said "sure kid" Later Tom snuck over to Norm's house and Norm caught him laying under the roadster measuring and taking notes. Tom told me they both laughed and Norm let him finish thinking the little guy would never finish one like it.
    What I think (and this is just speculation) is that Ivo did finish his roadster about a year later and started competing on the show circuit with Norm and because it was a new car and had a better finish than Norm's first black version and Tom started taking the trophies.
    The next thing that happened was that a movie stunt man hit something driving the roadster and bent the frame. Norm was compensated for the damage by the studio and took the car to Valley Custom for repairs. I think this is when Norm decided to change the car. This would be about 1956. At this time for some reason he, they decided to remount the rear spring behind the banjo as in newer Fords instead of over it as it had been. This shortened the wheelbase from 101" (the length Ivo had measured and built his) to 96" and lowered the back substantially. Being the artist Norm was I'm sure he stood back and kept jacking it up until the engine was level and he was happy with the look then made the spacer to take up the space. Then Valley Custom made the frame covers to hide the damage and the covers to take up the ugly space between the bottom of the P.U. bed and frame. Look at the picture below and see the car in transition. It is still black and the front shocks aren't even there and it still has the short windshield. After that Norm decided he didn't want anyone else to drive the car in movies but him so he had to have a top made and a taller windshield so it could be driven in movies without showing the driver. As in the Wire Service episode. All that was left was a new paint job and flames. Ivo told me he was going to flame his roadster and Norm beat him to it. Rivalry!
    Well that's my take on the subject and if anybody has a better explanation (Von Franko chime in) I would like to hear it.
    Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  15. Clay Jensen of Valley Custom Shop told me that the flames were done over the blue to cover up some accident bodywork. They did most of the update from black to blue including the frame and spring perch covers.