Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can a dummy rebuild a 39 trans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by walls, Aug 28, 2012.

1. walls

walls

I'm thinking of rebuilding the 39 trans for an A I'm trying to put together this winter. I've looked at the Van Pelts site and it seems as though I'll be buying his book.

The only experience I have with transmissions is on an old Royal Enfield from the 50's. I only had to replace a bearing. It went OK but, I really don't have a grasp on why it worked vs why it might not have.

Is this something I should be comfortable doing or should I have a "pro" do it?
    Possibly someone could suggest some books or a thread here on the Hamb that would put me in the right direction.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That pro you are talking about started somewhere too. In the 60s cash was saved for Sat. night. We were forced to take a trans apart to be able to go out Sat. night.. Every journey starts with the first step. Don't be skeerd. Get the book and go to work.

chambies likes this.
  3. 1pickup

1pickup

Get the Van Pelt book. That's what I did. My '39 trans works fine after using his guide to not only build it, but to know which parts you can & can't interchange. It also tells you what simple tools you will need, etc. I had no previous manual trans rebuilding experience.

4. walls

walls

Both encouraging suggestions. Thanks. I'll order the book and make sure I snap shots of it as I go.

5. I'll 4th (or wherever we're at) the recommendation on the Van Pelt book. It's really good, and combined with their website, you've got everything you need to do the job. The transmission itself is pretty darn easy to work on if you're armed with that information.

6. You have just a bit of common sense that will get you through it.

7. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

Never saw the Van Pelt book. The trans is simple. Go for it. It will make you feel good shifting it with the knowledge you rebuilt it.

8. Leftover parts are kept in a cardboard box in the trunk... traditional as hell.

Bob

9. alchemy

alchemy

I did.

The VanPelt book helps alot, and he is willing to answer your tough questions as well.

10. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

Just rebuilt a 46-50 truck top loader transmission Van Pelts book really helped a few calls & his help was outstanding Like you I had never been in one myself It can be done Ron

11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The secret for me was a clean bench and good light. Good Luck.

12. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Trannys are really not black magic. I've done several with a good shop manual. Read it first and see if there's a special tool you'll need. Most times you can make somthing work that you have.

13. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I used the Van Pelt book, built the box from three different transmissions and two years later, it's still working fine. I have zero previous experiences with rebuilding transmissions of any kind. So, yeah, it worked for this dummy.

-Mitch

14. TERPU

TERPU

Easy Peasy, Carrot Squeezy! Take it apart change the worn out stuff and put it back together.

Anybody can do it.

A few tips-

Stuff an old fan belt in the bottom of the case before you fill it full of parts. This allows you to lift the Cluster up easily as it'll cradle it. Make sure the endplay is within tolerance between the mainshaft and the output end. Big cause of 2nd gear pop-out. Use FORD syncros if you can find them. Most aftermarket ones are junk and just don't fit right. Change the detent balls and springs. And when checking the roller bearings make sure the cages aren't twisted. But the big one is check the output shaft snout where the roller bearing goes, if it's worn the shaft will wiggle and that's also a big cause of 2nd gear pop-out.

Good luck,

Tim

15. reece

reece
    from NC

I recently rebuilt my Muncie 4 speed. With a good diagram, patience, and a few google searches you can rebuild your trans. The Van Pelt book is pretty good, I have a copy but have yet to rebuild a Ford trans.

16. fordor41

fordor41

Ditto. Also lay parts out, in order, as they are removed. Draw pics if necessary.
    Any Ford tranny I've worked on is disassembled input shaft, output shaft then cluster gear.

17. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

If I can do it,... anyone can. Go for it.

18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup easy as just to help you self draw your own pictures and explanations as you dismantle as you will understand your own documentation better. Use van pelts for sure as a backup guide. I pulled my first one apart using this method and asked questions of what to check for wear , must have got it right as its still good 25 yrs later though in a different car . But have done a few since.

19. Koz

Koz

They're not hard. I do a lot of them. Remember, you may need access to a press and bearing puller along with a set of feelers gauges for certain operations. Other than that, no problem, just regular hand tools and common sense.

20. walls

walls

Where are parts most easily bought?
    Springs and shifter fork pins specifically.

21. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Van Pelt,Job Lot,Mac's,Jim's Transmissions in Tulsa. They can help you parts. If one doesn't have the other will.
    Good luck! X 1000 on the Van Pelt book.

22. Meyer

Meyer

I bought the book and did it too. Doing it in a week/weekend is better, less time to forget stuff.

23. fatkoop

fatkoop

Not a difficult trans to rebuild, but if you can find a Motors Manual of the correct years at a swap meet, buy it. I have a Motors Manual for every year from the '30's thru the '80s and they are handy, not just for transmissions but rearends, engines, brakes, etc.

24. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

You picked a perfect trans, to learn about rebuilding them.....Other than putting the wrong 2-3 synchro sleeve in it (There are 3 different ones) ,....you really can't go wrong.

4TTRUK

25. walls

walls

Only four months later decided to get back on it.
    Started with the shifter. Got that done and repainted.
    Just ripped the rest of it out last night. Took the gears apart this afternoon.
    Unfortunately, one of the gears in the lower gear cluster is chipped and the reverse idler gear has some gouges in it. Those two pics aren't very easy to see because I didn't clean them off.
    I'll post some new pics as I get parts and start to put it back together. Might take a couple weeks.
    Any other words of wisdom?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Get the books, multiple diagrams always help, gives you a different perspective. In todays world, the digital camera is a great tool.........ok, being a HAMBer you may want to get an old Kodak and take pictures, print them out and put them on the wall.....more traditional......just be patient, it'll go back together..........and keep it neat and clean

27. Deloc

Deloc

If you don't have one get a digital camera and take lots of pictures as you go along.
    Especially useful when putting it back together.
    Good Luck

28. Uptown83

Uptown83

I just finished rebuilding my first tranny(converted a open drive to closed drive) using the van pelt book! Recommend it and its simple.

29. Carter

Carter

If the reverse idler isn't too bad, you could reuse it. It sees very little action and doesn't get a whole lot of stress on it.
    Maybe just smooth it out a little.
    I can't tell in the picture how bad it is.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app