Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed in Torrence, CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Jan 15, 2013.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I'm looking for some help from anybody familiar with a 35 Ford.

Really all we need is somebody that can get it started and possibly adjust the parking brake.

I won't have an exact address for just a bit, but wanted to reach out while guys are still awake. I doubt we can get access until morning.

So here is the story: I sold a wonderful, fully restored to original, 1935 Ford 5W coupe to a man from Hawaii. I was good enough to include transportation to his island in the package deal.

The car was started and loaded in cold WI without any hassle. It is still a six volt system. We made a list of instructions and taped it to the windshield.

The truck arrive in Long Beach at the Matson port. The car started just as it should. But it did not pass the Matson inspection.

They require the car to have a functional parking brake. It does. But their test is to put on the brake, put the car in reverse and attempt to move the vehicle. If it moves, the parking brake is not acceptible. Are you kidding me? Would the parking brake have EVER stood such a test?

But forget about that for a moment. We gave up on Matson and are going to enlist Horizon to ship the car across the Pacific. In retrospect, I like their methods better. At least they will secure the car while onboard.

In the meantime, the original trucker had to hand off the car to another truck. Sometime during this handoff, the car would no longer start. At this time, I am not getting good feedback. Perhaps the battery is drained, perhaps it is flooded. Perhaps it is out of gas.

What I am looking for is somebody that could possibly go to the yet to be disclosed location with a six volt charger, an extension cord and some gas. A few tools might be good.

If it is flooded, it should be dried out by morning. The air clearner comes off with ease, so being out of gas could be determined by dumping a bit in the carb. It will be obvious if the battery is dead.

If time and the situation will allow, it would be awesome if a bit more tension could be put on the parking brake cable.

I will update this post as soon as info is available.

Please chime in, or PM me, if you car willing and able to lend a hand.

thank you in advance.

Bob

2. Wish I was close enough to help...I have a "pass it forward" owing..Thanks to some great Hamb'er members.

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you will get your chance to help. Thanks for responding

4. I am not familiar with 35 fords at all, but I will give you a bump

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

familiarity with the 35 ford isn't as important as understanding the mechanics of an old car. Fuel, fire, compression and air. The basics.

thanks for the bump.

6. Lucky444

Lucky444

Bummer about Matson. Yes, they are sometimes a pain to deal with. Horizon and Pasha can be more flexible.

Wish I could help, but I'm on the receiving end of your shipment. Good luck with everything and I hope someone can come through for you.

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the car started and we had it towed. for now, it is at a Tow Yard is on Gage Street in Torrance CA 90003. If anybody is close to that, it sounds like perhaps it was flooded and they wore the battery down. It likely needs a six volt charge. We are going Horizon. It sounds as though they are more understanding and willing to work with an old car.

so if anybody can help at zip 90003, please let me know

8. Back up top. Still a few hours before sun-up in SoCal. Good luck.

9. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Are you sure you have the right zip and street? I come up with neither in Torrance.....

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

yeah, now that I am fully awake, I believe the zip code is incorrect. More on that as I learn more.

11. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

I will PM ya!

12. c6_rob

c6_rob

I live next door in Redondo Beach but Im at work all day 30 miles away. I do have a 6 volt charger but I couldnt get to the tow yard until the evening. How late are they open? Your saying the car just needs a charge now?

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

There are no tow yards in Torrance on a Gage street. as a matter of fact no Gage street either. Have another cup of coffee and call them to get a correct address.

14. Jay71

Jay71

Alteredpilot (Mitch) is in that area I believe. Maybe shoot him a p.m.

15. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I have lived in Torrance for 27 years

16. For what it's worth, Gage st is in Los Angeles with the Zip Code 90003, basically the Florence/Huntington park area right off the 110 Fwy north of the 105

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Torrance -- Florence/Hunnington Park

I can see how they mixed up the two, be sure and bring a couple of big friends with you.

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thanks for the response. thanks for all the help. The issue is resolved.

Many thanks to Mitch (Alteredpilot) from Astromotive Auto Service for his assistance.

19. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Glad all is fixed. Mitch is a good guy!

20. plan9

plan9

You are in good hands with Mitch, glad someone suggested him.
    His shop is right in Hawthorne, just a stones throw from Torrance.

Well done!

21. You have to love the HAMB:cool:

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

now what possessed you to bring this back up?

IRONICALLY, I got a call from my transportation broker just TODAY. She had the same situation occur and was asking for my help. Another car ready to be loaded, but the parking brake wouldn't hold. So I went back to the HAMB, did a search and found this thread to get the info needed to help her.

very strange that you would end up here also.

thanks HAMB

23. We were meant to be together:eek: Actually I never looked at the dates:confused: