Register now to get rid of these ads!

new head bolts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gramps-RDFL, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Gramps-RDFL

Gramps-RDFL

Just did a complete rebuild on a 352, is it worth getting new head bolts or does it matter? Was quoted around 100 bux for a set.

2. birdman42

birdman42

I would check them for being stretched,if they are alright them reuse them.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Is it best to use all new fasteners ? Sure, but all of us have rebuilt an engine or two (hundred) using the old head, main cap, and other bolts. If it is just a stock rebuild, or mildly modified, I would just clean them up on a wire wheel real good and reuse them. I guess some of the newer motors have ones that are one time use only, but not the old cast iron monsters most of us play with.

Don

4. The bolts on your 352 are not torque to yield. So they can be reused without any trouble. Clean threads on the bolt and block so you get good torque readings.

5. flthead

flthead
    BANNED
    from Midwest

You will have no problem with reusing them once they are cleaned up.

6. Gramps-RDFL

Gramps-RDFL

Thank you for the replies, saved me 100 bux to go towards something else. ;) Clean em, oil them and reuse em to 85 ft lbs I think it is. Will look that up again. Cheers.