Register now to get rid of these ads!

DMV transfer from out of state to Calif.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jan 15, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looks like my recently acquired 1938 heap might actually be drivable soon so I need to think about legalities. I'm in California, have an out of state title, a bill of sale from same long time owner, no registration and no plates.

What am I in for? I'd honestly rather lay on a cold garage floor with 90w dripping on my face than deal with the DMV.

Thanks.

2. deto

deto

you have a title so you're golden. do you have AAA?

3. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Cal DMV is a crap shoot depending on who you get at the counter, and what office etc.
    If you don't belong to AAA it might be a wise investment just to have them take care of the xfer and reg. They know who to talk to to get it done.
    X2 for AAA assistance.

4. racastaneda

racastaneda

Deto is right. Clean title is 90% of the battle. I took the Texas title, insurance proof and $$ to AAA. Got a Cali temp tag and a week later took the car back to them for an inspection. 3 weeks later, got plates in the mail. Easy-peasy!

Ron

5. WortRod

WortRod
    from california

AAA only does tittle transfers in thier so cal division( bakersfeild south) their nor cal offices only handle drivers license stuff. As for getting a ca tittle.your going to need to get the right forms,then get a vin verifaction by a peace officer,I would advise getting an officer outside of dmv not the CHP officer at the dmv as they are a lot more particular. Make sure your officer dots all i's and crosses all t's. be polite and try to find a cool counter girl if you can,the counter clerk made all the difference in the world when i transfered my deuce to ca.

6. kevin47

kevin47

You shouldn't have to much trouble...You will have to bring the vehicle down for a visit...Whether on it's own power or by trailer...They will demand to see it. What's funny is what happens when you get there...The "dude" (inspector) had to ask ME where to find the VIN #...Of course in CA it's the engine #...That engine # better be on the "pink" or your next stop is at the CHP office for a "lookie-see" there...Anyway, back to the story, better bring your own flash-light, too. This guy didn't have one and asked if the could borrow mine...So, I just had to ask, " You a volunteer here...?" lol Good luck...! Kevin

7. mlagusis

mlagusis

I just did this 6 months ago from Washington to California. Just go online and schedule an appointment, bring the title and the car and you should be in and out pretty quick.

Where in Ca are you at?

8. Vet65te

Vet65te

When I brought in my 61 Vette from Texas, I drove it down to the local DMV and the 'inspector gal' comes out to look it over. I 'volunteered' the location for the VIN tag, which is spot welded to the steering column just forward of the firewall. When I pointed out the location, she said 'thanks, we do have a book that lists the locations'. Overall, it went through without a hitch.
    Mike T.

9. john walker

john walker

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I am a AAA member, went there yesterday (NorCal) and was promptly turned away, "We don't do out of state transfers". A vin verification is going to be sticky, I can't find one on it (American Bantam pickup). It has an aluminum plate firewall, a Ford flattie and nothing on the door jambs that I can find, and the previous owner says he's never seen it. I suppose I'll head over to the DMV sans vehicle and give it a shot. If they say I need a VIN verification I am going to have to find a sympathetic CHP, or a set of stamps...

11. kevin47

kevin47

One more time...Your engine # is your VIN... :D

12. Vet65te

Vet65te

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why not go to the Cal. DMV and ask them in person?

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'll do that, but around here you need to bring your pajamas and a good book to the DMV, and maybe some tissues for the rejection. Kevin, from what I'm reading early Ford engines didn't have numbers, and I'm not seeing any (1940 v8-60).

15. BAREOOT

BAREOOT
    from CALIFORNIA

engine number is not always vin number, most of the older vehicles have a vin tag on the car with vin number or vin number is stamped on frame, very few go by engine number. as long as you have a vin number on the car some where that matches the vin number on your title your good to go.

16. Out of state requires the VIN verification. You have the title and the bill of sale which is good. Now just *find* the VIN on the vehicle. I think if you look closely, you can *find* the numbers stamped somewhere. Such as on the frame, plate on the firewall, plate on the door jamb, etc.

Make an appt for the DMV, it does save time. Appt does not guarantee any success though........

17. kevin47

kevin47

If you can find a number on a "tag" on the car, that is on your "Title" your good to go...Don't think this is happening on pre-'50's Chevy's...You'll see a fisher body # a manfac. sequence #, but that's not a VIN #...

18. A 1938 will have the frame stamped in three places, see picture
    [​IMG]

It is also stamped in the bellhousing, if that is still original.

19. where is old title from?

20. hotroddon good info on the ford numbers.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Florida title. Sorry I didn't mention it sooner, 1938 American Bantam with 1940 Ford engine. I'll check the frame though, what's left of it, about the rear axle to the cowl.

22. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

CHP will not verify a car thats clearly not near running condition.

23. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

That just won't happen with a crate motor or if the engine has been replaced.

24. Not true, I have taken them rolling chassis (with and without body) a couple of times with no issues.

25. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Well maybe you found a better CHP office, because none I have found in LA will

26. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I did the same thing in 2005 with a car from Oregon. The poor young gal who came out to inspect the car had no idea where to look for the vin. I pointed to the vin tag and then she asked how many miles. I showed her the 100 miles on the odo and said everything was new. Got my title in the mail two weeks later.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Jumpin jehosaphat I think I found some numbers on the frame. The VIN is 5 digits, I'm seeing about two here. I have only hit it with a hand wire brush but I can get to it pretty good. What you're seeing is a good amount of black paint with some corrosion and rust mixed in. I don't want to mess this up, should I hit it with sandpaper down to good metal? This is like an archaeological dig...

[​IMG]

28. F&J

F&J

Rather than making damage first:

Try a quick silly sounding trick used by people who dig up old coins and can't quite read the date....

They lay the coin flat, and put a few drops of whole milk on it and let it flow. Sometimes a date will appear in the thin milk layer.

29. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

There are numbers there? Looks like one of those pictures you keep staring at till something appears..........lol

Before damaging it, a lite sandblasing may help but I would not use sandpaper

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah I know, but with a magnifying glass it looks better. Plus I found on the innernet where they are supposed to be, between cowl and front axle driver's side, and that's where I found this.

I'm heading out to go look at some slot mags right now, and I'll grab some milk while I'm out.. more to follow. The VIN has a 0,5,6,7 and 8. Not sure what I'm seeing at the moment.