Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage tach repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, Jan 13, 2013.

1. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Hi Guys and gals,

Does anyone have a reliable source for vintage Tachometer repair / restoration? I came across this very cool Stewart Warner "Script" tachometer and really want to be able to use it. It has this huge sending unit on the back and a 3 prong plug.
    I want it to be able to be used with a 292 inline six with a 12 volt neg ground. Stock distrib with a pertronix 2 insert.

Does anyone know the approx age and what this would have been used with? I'm thinking truck.

Attached Files:

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That is not a sending unit. That tach uses a sending unit that mounts on the distributor with a female wire connection to plug into.

Finding the matching part to fit your dist. will be the big challenge and then you need to hope that it works.

I did put a modern tach inside the housing and used the old needle to make an old looking tach. I'll add the pictures if I can find them. They are usually cheap because of this.

3. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

Call Bruce Woolsey at Bob's Speedometer Service in Howell Mi. 810 632-0400. He has rebuilt a couple of vintage Sun Tach's for me. He knows what he is doing.

4. I have a 6 cyl sending unit for that tach- if you're interested, send me a PM.

5. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Williamson's Instruments, Chester, Arkansas.
    I've had very good experiences with them. Good communication (phone) and service.

6. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'll second that.

7. Travis at Morris Gauge - He's here on the HAMB. His work is second to none.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  8. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

I too have had good experience with Williamson's.

9. Muttley

Muttley

Me too, they did a conversion on an old Sun Tach for me a few years ago.

10. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks guys. I definately check out those resources! Does anyone have a clue on what this restoration should cost?

11. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I checked out one source and they can do it all for me if I fork over $350.00 and wait 6 weeks!
    That seems a little high to me for a old tachometer.

12. The HAMB comes through again. WOW gotta love it.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG][​IMG]

This was the 2 can type like yours.

I removed the second can and added a new tach. I don't remember the brand. It's more for looks than for racing. By buddy had his 62 Chevy factory (Sun) tach converted but he claims they are not accurate.

[​IMG]

It might not read correctly on the face but I don't really care.:D I'm betting that most of us are not racing and shift points are more by ear than by a tach. reading JMO

BTW the donor tach was less than 100 bucks.

14. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Looks great. You're right, it's mostly for show. I guess a cheap tach can be purchased and give it a try. What's the harm in trying. As long as it's close and moves !