Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new old dragster...looking for info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldblue53, Feb 16, 2012.

1. oldblue53

oldblue53

Fired up the 327...Won't make the Meltdown. Bummer.

2. oldblue53

oldblue53

It's been quite some time since have been on here. I've made a lot of progress on the FED since the last post. Engine, Tranny and fuel tank all installed. Got the new Pie Crust slicks on. Went with an expansion type cooling system that I'll drian and fill with water as needed. Went with an old ammo can for a battery box and got it mounted in the rear. My friend Mike did some wiring for me. Needs cleaned up some but the rail does start and stop now under it's own power. I've taken the car a couple places unfinished just to show. Was even able to drive it around the pits at Cordova at the Run Whatcha Brung Dragfest that put on by the guys at Vintage Torque. Fabbed up very simple push/pull handle for the shifting and have just very simple roll pins being used to lock each gear in place. I have been recently working on the shield housing for the drive yokes and u-joint and have also been piddling around with some cardboard to get some kind of idea on the body shape. It's about to the point noe that I need to tear it apart and finish a few small things. Do some cleanup welding, etc...We may actually see an event this year with this old FED. Sure hope someone lets me take the old girl down the track a few times...........

3. oldblue53

oldblue53

Here's just a few recent pictures...This is the view simple pull shifter I rigged up for the glide using the old original clutch peddle linkage and shifter handle. The roll pins lock it in each gear, reverse, neutral and drive and I have to turn the handle to various angles to get to each gear. Doesn't look like much but it works.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the housing for the drive...I have to wide industrial steel band clamps to use to hold the top and bottom sections together and inline.
    [​IMG]

My cooling system...expansion neck and catch can with engine drains...When it gets hot it can expand up the extended neck and then has to pop a 7lb cap which will allow excess water to run into the Moroso catch can. The catch can then runs a 13lb cap so it would have to fill that can and blow that cap before it ever hit the ground which I'm hoping won't happen...ha ha...ya right
    [​IMG]

4. oldblue53

oldblue53

I made a mock body out of card boxes and wrapped it all in duct tape just to get an idea of whay it will look like with a tin body. Had to make use of some of those crappy old stickers that seem to just end up tossed in the tool box...This also shows those Hurst Pie Crusts.
    [​IMG]

5. oldblue53

oldblue53

Finally I just though I would toss up a couple from this summer. A friend took this one at the BOMBS AWAY BASH.
    [​IMG]

6. oldblue53

oldblue53

Here's the whole rig headed to Cordova where I cruized it around the pits a few times.
    [​IMG]

7. oldblue53

oldblue53

Last shot...While at Cordova, once the racing was over, one of the track photographers asked if he could use the rig for a pinup shoot on the starting line. I took this pic when Skinny pushed me up onto the line. When the shoot was over and I got back in the car (keeping in mind it's running now) it took every inch of my personal restraint to not start it up and shoot off into the darkness. This is the first time the car has sat on a track in probably 30+ years
    [​IMG]

8. oldblue53

oldblue53

Picture of a picture...just about makes it look like the real deal. That goon in the drivers seat is yours truly...LOL...Thanks to Skinny Mike for letting me borrow is clothes.
    [​IMG]

9. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Man I think that is an "itch" I would of had to "scratch" sitting on the track like that. Too freaking cool!!

10. Very cool!

I have been following the build for a while, and I have to say, I am absolutely GREEN with envy!!!

11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Cool Shots Brandon ,Looks like your makin alot of progress, Tim Jones

12. Glad to see you're still moving forward, I have been wondering is you were making progress. I'm so glad it went to a loving home.

13. did you miss this post? I didnt see a response to a post that might identify your rail, dunno

14. oldblue53

oldblue53

I did see this post...as of yet I have found no identifying marks or serial type numbers stamped on the frame.