Register now to get rid of these ads!

What type of Primer To Use with Hotrod Flatz Paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VCS, Jan 12, 2013.

1. VCS

VCS

Wanted advice about what kind of primer to use with hotrod flatz topcoat? I have the midnight blue, so do I want a light or dark color too of hat ever type I use?

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I'd suggest a darker primer colour given your darker top coat choice. If the top coat is chipped the primer won't show as much, and coverage will be better with the darker primer.

Look at Matrix or PCL brands for your primer choices, both widely available in the SoCal area.

3. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Check the tech sheet for the Hotrod Flatz paint.

4. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

From bare metal:
    1. Filler (always on bare metal)
    2. Epoxy primer (corrosion protection)
    3. Urethane or polyester high build 2k primer (block with 220)
    4. Urethane high build 2k (final sand with 600)
    5. Paint!
    It's best to have all your undercoats tinted as close to the topcoat color as possible, you'll use less topcoat covering and as mentioned above, chips won't show as well. Prep is key, a good house is built on a good foundation

5. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

6. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

use spi and forget the 4 other steps

7. VCS

VCS

Thank you everyone for the great advise. Now time to get priming!

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not always true. PPG DP goes on the bare metal first, then the filler, etc.

9. mastadon

mastadon

The Hot Rod Flatz has excellent coverage over light or dark primer.I just sprayed my my wifes truck with it using a 2K primer.Just make sure you get good overlap so it does'nt tiger stripe.

10. i feel like i got duped then, when i was ordering my hotrod flatz i called their tech suppport to ask what primer i should use on bare metal/filler and he told me epoxy...is that right or was the guy an idiot lol

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

PPG DP is no longer legal or sold in California if not the other 49 states! Thanks to the fuckin tree huggers the removal of heavy metals from undercoats and top coats was mandated and as a result the only protection now provided is from the acrylic or urethane resins contained in the binder of paint products. Unlike the days when PPG DP was known as '' Yellow Death ", and contained lead, cadminum & zinc, PPG DP LF doesn't provide any better protection than any other epoxy undercoater.:mad:

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid "

12. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

^ what he said...

13. mastadon

mastadon

Yes he was right,epoxy primer on bare metal.And you can put fillers over primer,just scuff it so it will bite.

14. jazz1

jazz1

I used grey epoxy primer and then applied 2 shades of Hotrod Flatz,, followed by a coat of satin clear to make washing the truck much easier..

[​IMG]

15. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

Don't put your filler over anything but clean bare metal. When a panel has epoxy primer on it you need to sand it off with 80 grit in the area you're applying filler. Or you can do it the lazy way!

16. Roadsire

Roadsire

Southern polyurethane recommends putting filler over their epoxy primer

17. Even though PPG says you can put filler over their DP LF epoxy primer, I dont.
    Filler over properly prepared metal is the best way to get good adhesion, then DP over it and sandable or high build primer after.

Of course... If you do your metal work properly, high build primer should take care of any imperfections thereafter...

I'm not that good yet, but I'm workin on it!

18. jazz1

jazz1

That's just the guys opinion. I called their teck line a few times,,they are not experts. You really should apply a coat of flat clear over the paint unless you like spending plenty of time washing your vehicle cause stuff sticks to this paint like snot on a steering wheel