Register now to get rid of these ads!

No timing light?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Ever notice how it's getting more difficult to find full strength antifreeze? Are people that lazy to mix their own and willing to pay double the price for it? (as full strenght and mixed seemed to be the same price when I do find them together).

Also had to get a sealed beam for our OT Lincoln (it's getting to be an antique now too), and hard to find those even now.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've had luck with the sealed beams, but you almost have to ask.

3. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Amen:D

4. <!-- BreadCrumbs are not required if we are coming through punchout --><!-- START ProductPathBreadCrumbInclude.jsp -->
    • Home
    • Electronic Specialties Inductive Timing Light
    <!-- Start LivePerson Impl --><!-- End LivePerson Impl -->
    <!-- END ProductPathBreadCrumbInclude.jsp -->

[​IMG]

Electronic Specialties Inductive Timing Light

<FORM id=addItems name=addItems action=OrderItemAdd jQuery1610857187509037938="167" cmSubmitIndex="false" cmEleValue="-1" cM1="7"><TABLE class=table-prod-info-block width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=topTD><TD class=topTD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=table-prod-info-block>Part No. ESI150 $69.99

[​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</FORM>

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The Advanced Auto Parts near me closed. Guess they didn't sell enough.

6. Or just Bad Timing.

7. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

Ditto, I hardly ever get to use any of my "fun tools" at work anymore :(

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it might have to do with the local you live in and what they figure to sell there. Here locally we still have a lot of farm trucks running point style distributors and carbs and the parts houses tend to have more stuff for older rigs than parts houses in other parts of the country and then we have Mr T's that keeps a lot of stuff for older rigs .

I bought a timing light at a swap meet or yard sale last year just because the price was right. It's now my loaner so I don't have to loan out my good one.

9. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

new cars should be warmed up and not just driven from a cold start. try that with a brand new car at minus 45 and youll leave your car where it died . blown head gasket ,head or worse. to dan in pasedena that being said just about everything has to be ordered from a main warehouse now for just about any vehicle. can get most tools still where i am.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. This one in HAMB classifieds

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->Shauer A8275 timing light, with box , instructuions , warranty card ,and catalog.See photos for condition and contents.
    Price is $16.00includes shipping in conus
    Check ,uspmo, or paypal add4%
    Send a PM
    Thanks Roy
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I ended up using a friends........last week. Normally, I'd have done it by ear, but I wanted accuracy. The thread was about the lack of tools for older cars at some parts stores, but like a lot of threads, it's morphed. In fact, I explained that in the opening post, but it's Friday, so.......:D

12. One Finger John

One Finger John

Gee Fred, I never thought of you as a minority. :p

P.S. What's happening with the T ?

13. nali

nali

Surprising to see canadians comments.
    Canadian Tire has unmixed antifreeze, timing lights and vacuum gauge.
    I didn t check for knee action shock oil yet.

14. A test light is also a good item to use if a timing light is nowhere to be found.In NZ its been hard to find a valve grinding stick for years, i still have the one i used when building V8s in the early 80s,getting a tad perished now. JW :)

15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Yep, 20+yr old technology is not where the moneys at for auto parts stores anymore. Comes with the territory of our hobby, I'm afraid. I had to order points (heavy duty) from the local NAPA last summer, can't say I was surprised.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sooo proud of my first timing light. A real tune up tool!!! It had the clip on induction thingy so i did not have to unplug the plug wire. I was a mechanic.:D I have not used a timing light in 20 years. I'm not sure I know where it is anymore. I do have a points file that I got from a flea market and not a parts store. I use it much more often. I only have one car with points.:D I'm betting you won't find one of them in a modern parts store.

17. Danny G

Danny G

I asked the snap-on and matco man about the L shaped dis tributor wrench for a small block and they cant get them.

18. Between all the auctions and flea markets where I had to buy a box of shit to get one or two things I must have half a dozen timing lights. In the last three years I've used one once.

19. K Tool International 3/8" Drive Distributor Wrench $6.89

1/2" x 9/16"

Use extensions or ratchet Handles most car<!-- BreadCrumbs are not required if we are coming through punchout --><!-- START ProductPathBreadCrumbInclude.jsp -->
    • K Tool International 3/8" Drive Distributor Wrench
    <!-- Start LivePerson Impl --><!-- End LivePerson Impl --><!-- END ProductPathBreadCrumbInclude.jsp -->

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. lol

21. Now before some of you guys that work in the auto parts business get your panties in a wad,,counter people that don't have any clue of what they are doing.

I know there are plenty of competent sales people,,I just keep running into the incompetent ones.

I have noticed at Napa as the long time employees retire or pass away there are more people hired to take their place at the counter that are not service oriented and honestly seem indifferent.

In the last few years I have had more problems with the one place I have done the bulk of my business over the 45 years.

I looked around at some of the national chain parts houses and found more of the same but I also found a couple of guys that were good to deal with and actually went out of their way to accommodate.

I have noticed a lot of things that use to be in stock have to be ordered. HRP

22. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

24. I got this one from Summit Racing for 7 bucks.

[​IMG]

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I think I paid 15 bucks for one just like yours... in the 60s.

26. My timing light grew legs about 6-8 months ago. Went to Sears and they had two styles, two of each, on the shelf. A bit pricey, I thought, but I had a new one in my grubby mitts and was back home in less than an hour.

27. Ha Ha!

Yeah, your's was made in the US while mine is probably Chinese or Tiawanese. :D

28. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I thought that everything now a days would be here tomorrow by 2:30.......

29. I know what you are saying. I am a 59 year old displaced mechanical designer working my "early retirement" job at Advance Auto Parts as a parts driver/counter clerk. Whenever someone comes in with questions about cars with carbs (pre 80's) the other guys turn to me and say Mikey can you help this guy? I am probably one of those guys that go all out to accommodate you.

30. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

Canadian tire here in Camrose actually had a points file AND a timing light.:D:D:D