Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

This is an early shot of Dyno's 65. I thought all the 65"s had the Glove box Delete Fiberglass piece.

Love that Merc Wagon tow vehicle behind there.

[​IMG]

2. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Those Glove Box Delete Fiberglass piece did not come with the original 65 AFX Comets, they were released later that spring. They all came with a radio delete plastic piece and that heavy glove box door. Even the 65 BFX Comets came the same way. So if you are Restore it to Original it should not have the glove box delete fiberglass piece in the car. AFX DAVE

3. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Dave, how heavy can a glove box door be? And where can I get a radio block off plate? Happy New Year!!

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;there are reproduction 65 Comet Radio Delete plates on E-Bay,originals show up occasionally.I just took a piece of aluminum and two stainless knock-out covers and made my own. ROY.

5. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Ive got one, Not cherry but is factory. You can have for the cost of shipping, If you promise not to resale it. In other words if you dont use it send it back....JOHN

6. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

7. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

John,I sent you a PM...I will use it and not resell it!

8. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

The day that all three of of us race our Comets together. That is the day I really look forward to!!

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;that would be TOO KOOL!!!! We need a match race with you vs me,Todd vs Ken!!! ROY

10. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Of the four cars how many have three pedals?

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;just two,mine and Ken's!! Right now Todd's is quickest,then Ken,then me,then last,but not least,Dale's!! ROY.

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Rub it in. But not for long, Roy... HeHe...:D

13. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

I think these are pretty cool! Will have to pick it up at Detroit Autorama

New Resin Merc Man shiftknobs by Jimmy Flintstone,or throw on your shelf next to your other merc stuff!
    Myron_

[​IMG]

http://www.jimmyflintstonestudios.com

14. Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel
    from Texas

How much are they? I need a few myself:)

15. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

$15.Keep in mind they come unpainted.

16. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

17. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Hmmm, Is the DeLorean car known about today?

In the mid 80's i bought a 65 Comet FX fiberglass hood off CeeGee's wrecking yard in Vancouver. It had been in their hood rack for years but i'd never noticed it the previous times i'd been there. Cliff told me the car was long gone but he recalled it had a Cleveland in it and no shock towers.

I tried scraping the paint but there several dozen layers and many different colours. I thought i'd go right through before i found the original paint.
    The two carb holes had been cut into a 14" round hole but the edges of the two half round original carb holes showed it was the wider High Riser carb spacing. I called Rick Kirk and described it and he figured 65 and not 64 and the HR carb distance meant AFX and not BFX.

I resold the hood to Tom Willford near Seattle. I think he sold it since.

In the late 70's the White Rock Hells Angels clubhouse had a straight axle 65 Comet sitting beside it for years. I very vividly recall going there (not knowing who the house belonged to) and knocked on the door to inquire about the Comet.

A burly bearded guy quickly ushered me in.
    After about 5 minutes of life-altering waiting where the big guys on the couch either side of me threw a switchblade back and forth into the gyproc above us and the couch across the room the doorman asked what i wanted to know about the Comet.

"I-i-i-is i-i-i-it f-f-f-f-for s-s-s-s-s-sale?" I managed.

A gruff "No" from him and then i blurted out "OK, i better be going"

I never did check back to ask again. Maybe they still have it. Or maybe the hood is off that car?

18. Hi Tom, I talk to some guys about comets racing on the Vancouver Island. The old Cobble Hill days. They remeber a 64 and a 65 coming over from the mainland. Apparently there is video of one them. I hope to have the video in the next couple weeks.
    Roger

19. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Anymore info on this one???

Anymore info on the one?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  20. I got this pic from my friend Satch that got it from Cliff West. Taken at the Winter Nationals.

Attached Files:

21. Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel
    from Texas

I want two. How can I get those shifter knobs if I live in Texas?

22. 65COMET

65COMET

I think the blue 65 Comet broke a steering linkage at the 2012 CHRR.Ken[Mercuryjunky]was talking to the owner.He was match racing with a similar setup 64 Comet. ROY.

23. the duke

the duke

The Blue 65 belongs to my buddy Dave from south San Francisco, He purchased it pretty much as is within the last year. He got a couple runs in and then like Roy said, had steering trouble out in the parking lot and was done for the weekend. Its got a MEL 430 I believe in it, neat car

24. 65COMET

65COMET

the duke;thanks for the info on your buddies Comet!!At least the steering problems happened in the pits,not on the track at speed!!Do you know anything about the 64 Comet that he match raced? ROY.

25. the duke

the duke

Nope, i don't have any info on the other comet. Sorry

26. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Thanks Duke....I love that 65.

27. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I guess that I, along with other Comet owners here in SoCal know what its like to get motivated to work in a near-freezing garage! Supposed to hit the track tomorrow night, and watch the E.T.'s tumble with a new fuel system, and its not even close to being done!!! I will now say we are truly spoiled by our weather out here. A couple of low thirty degree nights, and we run for cover!!!! All I want to do in the vening when I come home from a like-wise freezing cold shop is to light a fire and not more five feet away from the hearth!!!

28. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Did Mercury ever make a 64 Comet radio delete?

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;I'm sure they did,I think Ken has one in his Sox and Martin tribute Comet.I know the 65 Comet and 64/65 Deluxe Falcon ones are being reproduced! ROY.

30. Muttley

Muttley

Look here. I bought some parts from him a few years back and they are really nice quality.