Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech: Water pump. Change? Rebuild? Run it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 21, 2006.

1. 29pu

29pu

thanks for the info george.

2. Godspeed

Godspeed

Ok, I know this is a little crazy, but I am trying to use an original transmission Cooler (trans cooler) that is mounted to the pump of an original 1956 354 Hemi (Imperial engine).
    * does anyone know if the top cooler line or bottom cooler line is the inlet? (I would like to back flush it with the trans cooler flush in a can).
    * Does anyone here actually still use one on their car? Any horror stories, like trans fluid mixing with coolant? I have taken mine to a local radiator shop for cleaning and pressure testing, but I am a little afraid of debris going back to the bearings of the 727.
    * Does anyone know of a filter that can be put in line to catch the stuff that may come out of the trans cooler?

3. 73RR

73RR

They are not as efficient as we might like them to be. If you decide to use it you should also install a temp gauge.
    And yes, a spin-on type filter is never a bad idea. Check the Wix site for a useful filter.

4. George

George

I believe the "proper" way is in the top & out the bottom, I'd probably use an aux cooler with it. On my '48 I plumbed in a spin on & use the little 2" Wix 51335, I'd probably use a longer one if it wouldn't show, but where I put mine it would.

5. Godspeed

Godspeed

Thank you for the informatio on the cooler, and the tip on the small filter! With the filter and the pressure test passed, I think I will go for it. I will put one of those tube coolers on as well, and consider a temperature gauge or switch.
    Thanks!

6. Godspeed

Godspeed

In looking at the WIX catalog, I found two that are specifically for transmission fluid:

Spin on: http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/ResultsPart.asp?PartNo=57701
    In line: http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=58964

I hope this info helps others using the original Hemi transmission cooler bolted to the original Hemi water pump, and others.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  7. 41 C28

41 C28

I'm new to the world of Hemis but what 73RR says make sense to me. Also remember that the stock water pumps have grease fittings. Just don't over lube and blow out the seal.

8. George

George

This is a GM filter with 3/4-20 threads, the one I used on my '48 takes Ford/Mopar filters that are 3/4-16, like the 51335 mentioned earlier.

9. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Options and napa or others part numbers for 54 331 waterpump?

10. 73RR

73RR

11. Willys392

Willys392

here is a good question for you. Not sure where to where it should go. I'm looking for a thermostat for my 58 Hemi. Napa says they do not go back that for and Stant does not have a listing for Hemi's from 55 to 58. Will the thermostat from 59 to 78 Moipoars work. Car Quest says that the 58 Hemi is a different number,. What are you guys using. I have the original cast iron water crossover whick takes a thermostat that is 2.5" in diameter.

12. Godspeed

Godspeed

About the thermostat housing:
    I have been on the extreme slow build path for a 354 Hemi for a while. I was cleaning the parts and found that the original Hemi thermostat housing had corroded so thin that a hole wore through it. Not knowing where I could get one I happened to compare it to the thermostat housing on my 1970 318 sb mopar. I measured as best as I could (without pulling it off) and it seems to me that it is a bolt on replacement. I know some of the other hemis are different, and I don't know about yours, but you may want to check it out. SB Mopar thermostats are almost as cheap as Chevys.

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

One of the things you hear about a hemi is they are to heavy ,Im in favor of any weight loss you can get.

14. Willys392

Willys392

Well if all I have to worry about is getting a thermostat that is 2.5" in diameter, that shouldn't be an issue as I believe both Mopar and Chevy made large and small diameter thermostats. I have a small diameter Chevy t-stat and it dropped in right through the hole. I find it interesting that Stant make t-stats for 51 to 54 Hemi's but not for 55 to 58. Wonder what the difference is.

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is actually a really good question! Going to bump this up for you.

I did a little tech on adapting an after market thermostat housing...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298672&highlight=tech+hemi

It works for a quick fix, but it will get redone at some point.

16. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

If i rember right did i that on my 354 i bought housing from a newer mopar v8 and the termpstat and it was direct replacement

/Stefan

17. I use the 370-180 Robertshaw in my 56, 354 Hemi with the stock thermostat housing.
    It fits may other Chrysler applications of that era.

18. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

What's the water pump options for a 54 331 using a old cragar intake with the coolent running from the radiator to the top of the intake. Thanks

19. 73RR

73RR

If the manifold has the t-stat then why change pumps? If the manifold lacks the t-stat then you will need a remote.

20. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

I'm going to set it up like pinkies did on the green sedan they built, I'm going to run 2 radiator hoses and two thermostats,is the 54 hemi water pump the only option beside the chevy water pumps or will other year hemi pumps work?i don't really want the chevy but I will go that route if need be, space is a concern and I want to run mech fan,what about timing covers on a 54?

21. George

George

The Cragar has two openings on the front of the flanges.

On a '54 you have the integral W/P on the big timing cover. Any 51-4 or trauck/Ind should work. The other option is the HH timing cover with integral adaptors for the Chevy W/P & NO fuel pump boss.

22. 73RR

73RR

Not sure what George means in this.... Bottom line is that the 51-54 Chrysler chain case cover and water pump does not interchange with any other pass car; just some trucks, marine and industrial Chrysler based engines and is due to the drilling pattern into the block. If you are ambitious and have access to a machine shop take a look at the A-LA covers.

23. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The truck/Ind pumps (the actual pump itself) are different than the 51-54 car pumps.

Here is a project in the works. Currently being machined for the Desotos, but also under consideration for use on the 51-54 Chrysler car blocks, as well as the truck, Ind, and Marine blocks.

It is an all new cast aluminum timing chain cover which accepts a big block Mopar water pump. :D
    I hope to have the finished Desoto version with me this coming year at Carlisle. I cannot take any credit for this project. It is being done by Peter Williamson in New Zealand. He is the fellow who did the first cast intakes (with different tops) for the tall deck Desoto.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The second one looks like a late 331. Has a built in water crossover and t-stat housing. 354's and 392's had a separate crossover/thermostat housing. So I guess that would mean the first would be a 354 and/or 392 pump??

Just making educated/uneducated guesses.

25. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Top is a 392. Lower is 55 331 and 56 354.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So 392's were the only ones that had separate cross-over t-stat housings?

I wasn't too far off! :rolleyes::D

27. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

I would like some more info tr, on the new housing for a 54 331, thanks.

28. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I am sorry that I dont have alot to give on the new housing just yet. I debated putting this out to the public just yet, but Peter said go for it.

The one pictured was the first cast, and a couple small changes are being made. I have told Peter how easy it would be to make the casting fit both Desoto and Chrysler. (easy for me to say, huh?) It will accept a fuel pump, and will most likely include a hub adapter to fit the oem fans with the larger center hole. As said, I probably wont see one in person until July.

29. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

I have a stock pump for my 341 that I had rebuilt sometime back. Instead I went with an aluminum housing and an electric pump. I'd hate to have the stocker go out on me somewhere without a quick replacement at hand.

30. George

George

Meant the W/P bolts to the timing cover vs the seperate pump & cover on '55 & up.