Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH350 shifter seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay.S, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Jay.S

Jay.S

Good day, my th350 is leaking at the little seal where the shifter is. Any suggestions on how to change this/ get it out of there since it is so small?
    Thanks, Jay.S

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Jay, NAPA used to sell a tool made by KD Tools that removed the old seal and reinstalled a new seal, but KD discontinued making it. The reason they gave me was that there aren't that many TH350's around any more. :rolleyes: Luckily, I have a garage a couple of doors from our shop and the mechanic there lends me his when I need one. Maybe you can borrow one from some friendly mechanic in your area.

Here is a diagram of how it works and what the tool looks like. I guess you can pry it out with a screwdriver, but the tool makes it so much easier and doesn't damage the new seal. NAPA still sells the seal though, it is called a shift shaft seal.

Don

[​IMG]

3. Jay.S

Jay.S

Thanks guys for the info, i will ask the mechanice at work and see if he has one or knows someone who has one.

4. Buckster

Buckster

I replaced the seal on my transmission using that tool & the flats where the arm is positioned cut the seal. A mechanic told me to take a piece of emery paper & smooth the sharp edges where the flats meets the shaft diameter. He also told me to twist the seal onto the shaft. Be sure & use grease on the seal and shaft to aid the installation.

5. Drill it,insert screw,pull with side cutters. Check shaft for burs.... grease inside of new seal,use socket to install........Not rocket science guys......:confused:

6. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

COE project has a leaky turbo 400 shaft seal....... Anyone have one of the obsolete KB 2393 tools gathering dust in their tool box?

Or know of a source?

Please PM me if you do...

:confused:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Check to see if you have room to put another seal over the one that's already there.
    Common fix at a trans shop, so you may already have two seals.

8. invisiblekid, wont work....
    1. shaft sticks out too far,
    2. not enough room for error
    3. hit the case or the shaft and its over......been there, done that......
    had three different tools in a box, loaned it out......grew legs.
    check with a local transmission shop if your mechanic does not have one......

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I do not understand WHY the tool has been discontinued. That seal is used in PowerGlides, Turbo 350, Turbo 400 and my 700R4.

The Car Quest store in my area has them on the tool board. I gave about 5 dollars for mine many years ago. They are about 12 dollars or so now.

:eek:

10. I used a punch and a pick to remove and a socked to install

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hahah Me too. I looked at the tool and figured out a "ME" way to do it. Some things aren't worth $9.99

12. I couldn't find the tool and my trans decided to spring a leak somewhere else after...go figure

13. txturbo

txturbo

You also need to be real careful when installing the new seal. Chances are really good you will nick the new seal if you just slip it over the shaft and tap it in. Its best to lube the seal lip, set it in place and then use a pick to gently work the lip of the seal onto the shaft. Once you've done that you can use a socket to go the rest of the way.

14. mritech

mritech

Just thinking out loud here but why not pull the pan, pull the clip that holds the shaft in and pull it out, replace the seal and put back together changing a bunch of fluid in th process is also a good thing. I did this and it took only an hour or so. I also replaced the pan with one with a drain plug in it for the future oil changes.

15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Electrical tape around the shaft helps with this.

16. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

One more tip. The rubber that seals the seal to the case is on the backside of the seal so make sure you fully seat the seal in the case.

17. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Bought the $2.99 seal, the metal part is only .050 thick - so the "drill it for a screw" tip will not work. Took off the shift arm last night and cleaned the area up. Deburred the arm as mentioned. Hoped to find the bore deep enough to press another one in there per that tip, no way so maybe there are 2 in there already.

Still looking for the KD 2393. Emailed KD and they said it has been discontinued for a long time. I would say it's time to bring it back then.

;)

18. txturbo

txturbo

I have the tool....but haven't really used it much. When I worked at the trans shop it was just as easy to use a stainless pick with the 90 on the end. Stick it thru the rubber of the seal and yank it out. Then lube the new one and work it over the sharp edges carefully then tap it down.

19. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  20. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

As stated, have changed many by prying out with thin screwdriver and seating new
    one with a 1/2" deep well socket. Elect tape will keep step on shaft from damaging new seal.

21. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

just a bit of advice,
    I replaced the same seal in my 350 transmission using that same tool. It continued to leak at the same spot although a lot less.
    The seal was fine, it turns out my sector shaft had worn slightly right where the new seal sits on it. I buffed the scratches off the shaft and that fixed the leak.

22. myktrans

myktrans

23. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

24. Driver50x

Driver50x

I just bought this same tool at the local NAPA store. Balkamp part number 776-9250. $7 Works great.