Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 wheel disc/manual brakes.opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Jan 10, 2013.

1. so now im working on my 53 studebaker pickup,i have 4 wheel disc brakes and would like to not have a booster,any problem with this?

my hotrod is 4 wheel drum manual brakes and its okay but 4 wheel disc?my grandfather has disc up front of his baker pickup and manual but im unsure if 4 wheel disc is okay manual. im doing early chevy truck pedals and my master will be under the floor on the frame rail.not much room for a booster anyway

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Many Corvettes with 4-wheel discs were manufactured WITHOUT the power brake option (no booster). Careful sizing of the master cylinder bore made it workable in that particular application. Some added effort required to stop, but very manageable, pedal-pressure wise. Seems like the M/C bore was 1" on the Vettes so-equipped. DD

3. yeah i just saw something about that,i suppose it works then huh? besides the room,to me boosters feel squishy.not a fan of them in old cars

4. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Try a M/C for a '69 Vette WITHOUT P/B, as a starting place. DD

5. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

im running 4 wheel disc on my coupe and its not boosted. its all in the proportioning valve.

6. studedudeus

studedudeus

My '55 Stude pickup runs 4 wheel disk and manual master. I have '78 Olds Cutlass up front, '79 Lincoln Versailles in back and use the Olds master. The pedal pressure is a bit heavy, but it still stops well. Remember, the pedal has two positions for the pin on the master cylinder rod. Using the one closest to the pivot helps.

I'd recommend using a master cyl with smaller bores to get the pedal press better.

7. deto

deto

you're going to be doing the dance to figure out correct MC piston volume to feed 4 wheel discs, yet still be able to apply enough pressure without the help of the booster. Manual brake set ups are usually 1" and under, but if you have to go any larger to feed enough volume to the 4 wheel discs, then your pedal geometry becomes more critical. Its totally doable, just gonna take some math.

8. Very few race cars run boosted brakes. In a lot of ways it's better for the driver (if you're driving it hard). Pedal effort will be higher, but there shouldn't be any problems with a properly designed system. DO NOT use a master cylinder designed for power brake systems.

9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...And how is it all in the proportioning valve?

Why not?

10. lawman

lawman

We have used 4 wheel disc and no power on my grandson's 38 chevy
    truck for 3 year's and have never had a problem.

11. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

My 56 has 4 wheel disk with a 'vette master cylinder and no booster. It works great.