Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats your favorite filler primer ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I tried some Cumberland 2k 6550 and Im not liking it.
    Usually use Mar Hyde in buff but the supplier was out of it. He said the Cumberland was "exactly" the same just grey.

The Cumberland is loading up my paper (mirka) and I find it to be exceptionally soft.
    Someting is wrong here- Im wondering if its just me & what I'm used to, the supply house opinion or problem with the material batch. It was mixed exactly as the tech sheet said, and shop conditions are the same. These two products are no where near the same.

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I use Keystone. It's Key 3 in 1. Hundred bucks a gal with the activator. Never had a problem and it sands easily. Lippy

3. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

5. I don't know if it is my favorite but I have had good success with this brand in the past few years. HRP

[​IMG]

6. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

I gotta say pretty much anything Polyester.. Unbelievable fill, No shrinkage, sands decent. The only gripe is it stinks real bad, and is super bad to breath in- have a good respirator!

7. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

He was asking about PRIMER, but yeah, Rage GOLD is where it's at!

8. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

3M spray polyester is great stuff for leveling pitting etc, but you need to prime bare metal with an Epoxy or similar type of primer first

9. I'm past the poly high build stuff.
    I used upol reface, really nice stuff.

2k urethane filler primer is what I'm looking for.

10. X2 good stuff

Seems to clog up my gun though, enen with a reammed out 22 tip.

11. Clausen Z chrome for me.

12. Anyone have a similar or different experience with Cumberland 2k urethane filler primer?

13. flthd31

flthd31

Kinda sounds like maybe you need a little more flash time between coats. Since you have experience with primer surfacers, you already know it's critical to allow enough time between coats of primer surfacers to allow solvents to evaporate or the coats underneath won't cure quickly and clogging paper will result.
    My favorite is PPG K36 but I've been using Nason recently to save some bucks and have had good results.

14. Flash times were just over 5 mins / 3 coats with medium reducer 4/1/1 on the cup & via kitchen timer.
    I also let it sit for 2 days in 70* before sanding.
    I can tell no difference in top skin sanding or deeper / all dry sanding.

So soft I flat spotted a body line with 400 paper that was clogged.

15. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I started using Nason 2K primer years ago.
    It's inexpensive and works very well. Maybe not as good as some of the really high build primers but it fills well and sands easy and the cost difference more than makes up for the reduced fill.
    Just make sure to follow instructions about flash time between coats.

16. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

did you shake the can of primer before you mixed it? Did you stir for a good 30 sec after mixing?
    Hardeners will start to catalize or go bad is the tops not on tight after opening, maybe that?

17. Fresh can and sealed hardner.
    No shaker but I ran a drill powered propeller style paint stirer in the can for about 3-5 mins until no solids were on the bottom.

Mixed primer in cup for @ least 30 seconds let it set for as long as it took to tack rag the hood and stirred it again before pouring it into the gun.

18. flthd31

flthd31

Not sure if this what you used but this Cumberland tech sheet calls for 15 minutes...here's a copy and paste from it:

2. For high build apply up to 4 or 5 wet coats allowing 15 minutes flash time between coats, for normal build or pinhole filling apply as needed.

Also, the sheet calls for mix 4/1 - primer/activator for high build...no reducer.

The whole sheet is here:

http://www.cumberlandproductsinc.com/uplimg/CP6550_6525.pdf

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  19. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

it sounds like your put on to much primer on too fast and traped the solvents. By the time the last coat starts to skins over your first couple coats are still wet. paint and primer drys by the solvents comeing out evaporateing in to the air, inproper flash times trap those solvents not alowing the primer to dry corectly. I would remove all that primer or you might have problems when you paint it like die back or shrinking. Good luck

20. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I do not use a filler primer. I have no favorite.

21. Yep I shorted the flash times. Thanks that helped a lot.
    I'll take it all off. That should be fun.

Looks like if I want 4-5 coats with 15 mins flash time and only 1 hour pot life I have some figuring and better planning to do. Or wait for the other primer.

22. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

PPG Kondar, fills well..sands easily.

23. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I made a general statement about these "filler" primers, and the problems so often associated with them. Sorry if it upset you. I corrected my original post to answer the question at hand.

24. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Slick Sand works great for me.

25. captmullette

captmullette

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=560><TBODY><TR><TD style="MIN-HEIGHT: 115px; WIDTH: 150px" vAlign=top align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MIN-HEIGHT: 115px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 330px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; COLOR: #666; PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top>5 Star MAXX FILL 2K High Build Urethane Primer Quart KIT 5453 & 5457 BUFF
    Sold by KustomPainting
    Condition: new
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"></TD><TD>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MIN-HEIGHT: 115px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 80px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 14px Arial, san-serif; PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top align=right>$27.89</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>just ordered this off amazon.com havent used it yet, thats why i only ordered a small amount,

26. I do not use a high build primer, but if I did I would use Southern Polyureathane's, all their other products are great and more reasonably priced than most.

27. Terraizer

Terraizer

Clausen's Z-Chrome for me, it builds nice and sands real easy.

28. jophus

jophus

Upol is affordable (less than $100) a gallon. Fills really well. However, you need at least a 1.8 tip or larger to shoot. Otherwise, you end up reducing the hell out of it and it doesn't fill as well.

29. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

depends on th ebudget you have to work to.
    1. k36
    2. Slick Sand
    3. Nason.

30. I talked to Nick at Cumberland tech line. Told him I shorted my flash times .
    He knew and told me exactly what my paper was doing.
    Said that if I were to break the surface 100% and put a lamp on it I should be able to smell the solvents and in about 1 hr to 90 mins carry on as normal.

That worked perfectly .
    Thanks guys.

PS what are you guys paying for the K36? I about shit when I was quoted a price