Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH400 output shaft swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kentuckyscum, Jan 8, 2013.

1. kentuckyscum

kentuckyscum
    from kentucky

I need to swap the innards from a recently rebuilt short shaft (4x4) th400 with a damaged case into a Monte Carlo 400 case. Both transmissions were in perfect working order, but the truck one is a much more recent rebuild. I've got the Ron Sessions book and I've been through it some, but like most people I learn a lot better by doing. I have no intention of completely disassembling either trans, I just need the short shaft in the good case. Do I have to pull out the valve body, front and rear servos to do this? That's the order the book goes in, so I'm assuming I have to. If anyone can offer any tips, shortcuts, or things to watch out for I would appreciate it.

2. Yes, you have to relax the bands to get the clearance you need. You can leave the low/rev. band in the case ,but that's about it.

3. Mr4Speed

Mr4Speed

Yes you will have to remove the valve body because theres a bolt under it holding the center support in.
    Without the valve body it's best to take the front servo out because there will be nothing holding it in, you could leave the rear servo in but if you're that far why not get it out also and change the seals!

You do know that the cases of a 4x4 and a passenger car are different right?
    You won't be able to use the heavy duty torque converter dust cover because the light duty case doesn't have the bolt holes.

4. snaptwo

snaptwo

X2 on the 4x4 case and check your shaft length as the short shaft 4x is too short for 2 wheel drive extension housings to work. The shaft is about the last out--first in order.

5. kentuckyscum

kentuckyscum
    from kentucky

Thanks for the info guys. I do know about the elusive truck case, never actually seen one. All my Chevys always had the standard case. Not a big concern, this is just my parts chaser/beater. The trans I have with the damaged case was in the truck when I bought it, so I know it has the right shaft. Unfortunately it turns out that the one I replaced it with had a hairline crack I discovered when tracking an elusive leak. I just need this thing functional and out of my shop. It will be replaced by a '70 K10 Suburban I recently bought, I just refuse to sell a truck with a cracked trans case to some poor local kid.