Register now to get rid of these ads!

block sanding sucks !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 28, 2012.

1. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

There is no perfect. No matter how good something is, there is always some way it could be better. Perfect for most people is when they are no longer able to recognize the imperfectioins, or when good enough is achieved.

Tedious, too hard, makes my muscles hurt, gives me a headache..... I suggest less whining and more working.

2. OH BROTHER :rolleyes:

HAPPY NEW YEAR

why dont you define "IS" for us?

My fingers are raw from sanding , yours ?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  3. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Dry guide coat....

http://www.google.com/search?q=1950...7748bd281affe4&bpcl=40096503&biw=1081&bih=451

Had an old guy say to me how bodywork keeps me in shape - all the lifting, prying, bending, kneeling and yes sanding. Never thought of it that way - but then the dust and fumes kill you...

;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. impala631

impala631
    from INDIANA

Get lots of friends and a case of beer, done!!

5. No way

6. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I'm with 31 on this.....bottom line, if your as anal as I am....I'd end up unfucking up the acceptable (to my friends) block sanding work....which really creates more work...I'd much rather do it myself that way if there is any fuck ups I have no one to blame but myself....and I dont have to do it twice.

7. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Why is it that the guy doing all the blocking and prep work , and the guy doing the colorsanding and rubout , do all the work ,, and the "painter" gets all the credit .

Attached Files:

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

You said "perfect" and that's what I commented on, not "IS".

As I already said, no matter how good a job one does, there is always another layer of smaller imperfections. That's just how it is. If the person doing the work is a craftsman they will see them even if the average person can't. That's just how it is.

Think about people wanting "perfect" and willing to pay you a lot of money to make it happen. Your reputation is only as good as the last job you did. Yes....... although my fingers aren't presently raw, numerous times per year I have spent days carefully sanding parts to a show quality level. Those parts were often irregular in shape and harder to smooth and contour than the surfaces on a car body. I also had employees. I always found it interesting that the less experienced an employee was, and the less they understood about the process, the more they complained about doing it.:)

9. Good for you !
    Now Do something useful with your observations.

10. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have done something useful. I corrected your misstatement, and I have made a living doing what you started this discussion whining about.:cool:

11. Ya want perfect ===
    Get it to where ya think it is PERFECT.
    Run it in the booth (body or parts)
    Blast 1 coat of black base on it.
    Roll it out the next day and block it 1 more time.
    Even then it may not B perfect !

12. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Like you said, no matter what color a car is going to be, some high end jobs paint have the car gloss black and use the reflections as a guide in the later stages of "perfecting" the surfaces. When that's good, more primer/sealer and final blocking.

13. n847

n847

Well when the feeling comes back in your limbs get us some pics! If you're ever gonna commit a crime nows the time as you likely don't have any finger prints!

14. great now define is for us

So how about it, "is" definition to help us out ?
    I'm still drunk happy new year

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I lived on ibuprofen when I was doing the sanding on my car! It's really a pain!

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I love block sanding, you get a nice finished product at the end. WIRING SUCKS!... Happy New Year! Bob

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  17. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

quit your crying .It will be worth it when your done.......................................And then youll probably have to color sand again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Its all good

18. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Too bad we don't live closer together....I'd gladly wire the shit out of all of your projects, hidden, soldered, heat shrunk, sealed etc for a good block sanding job.....I love wiring/routing and makin sure it's just right.....and wiring doesn't make my hands bleed.

19. fiddychevy

fiddychevy
    from pa

Keep up the good work it will be well worth it. Don't get lazy & settle for less than you want. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So how's it goin', '31? :)

I think a couple of your posters might've missed the "1/4 inch 90 degree" part, the way they're tellin' you to quit whining...lol. Though I'd listen close to Al. He seems ass knowlegeable as anyone on the subject. Fact is though, nobody can deny that's some tedious work you're doing. But...I know you love it. The only suggestion I'd have is to try to be kind of ambidextrous about it and go slow. Music, a beer or somethin', and "get into it" Don't bust your as too much. Take breaks...maybe even a couple of days. You'll do a better job, it won't hurt quite so much, and you'll "enjoy" it more. But you know that. I didn't catch if you have a deadline...maybe goin' slow isn't part of the plan. Btw, I also didn't catch what the vehicle is. What the heck are you working on...a milk truck?

Anyway, have fun. :D

21. As bad as block sanding sucks wait until you get to the hood and have to sand the louvers with paper wrapped around your fingers.

I recently sanded and repainted the 25 louver hood for my sedan,,front and back adds up to 100 louvers,,,my fingers are still sore!:D HRP

22. Still sucks Ricky! Lmao.
    Thanks for the laugh.

23. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

Take your time. It'll be worth it when it's done and you watch people admire it. You'll forget the pain.

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I complained after rubbing down my'35 phaeton and after looking at my '46 Olds sedanette I grimace every time I think about what lays ahead when the time comes to paint it.

25. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I know how much it sucks,but come on guys ,its better than listening to the remarks from the cheap seats , how wavy that car is , just suck it up and do it , remember it takes BLOOD, SWEAT and GEARS (sometimes tears) to build a hot rod ! ok where the hell is my board sander I threw at the wall yesterday !

26. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i have a question, is a satin black more forgiving in the blocking department than any gloss color?

27. coupe man

coupe man

Looking forward to the block sanding.That will mean that all the cutting, welding,grinding and basic body work is finished.

28. yes

29. Less reflective means more forgiveness towards blocking imperfections.
    As a general rule, the lighter the color the less reflection. However with the right light and conditions you can read the newspaper in a gloss white paint job reflection, it will tell on you too. For example when I was blocking that upol reface (its white ) with 150 and the light in the right spot it would throw a reflection, 220 up to 320 even better and with 400 you could see anything, good or bad.

Remember that any uniform color will highlight any flaw, even primer.

30. I'd rather weld.

The big surfaces aren't bad, its the details, nooks and crazies, body lines, corners, door jambs, doors - Uuuggghhh fucking corners.

HRP's hood had 2 inside and 2 outside corners on each louver.