Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vanishing Americana--the drive in movie theater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, May 5, 2010.

1. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

The one here in Tulsa burned but they rebuilt it...I'm glad...it's cool

2. dad-bud

dad-bud

Growing up in Melbourne, Victoria, there were about 20 drive-ins around town until they started closing down in the 80's when video stores nearly killed them and movie theatres.
    When we arrived in Perth 20 odd years ago, there were still half a dozen or so, but over time, they mostly closed down.
    Now, there's only one in the metro area.
    Galaxy Drive-In - and best of all, it's in the next suburb to where we live. We cruise there a few times a year.
    You can see their website here;
    http://galaxydrivein.com.au/
    Good thread.
    Cheers.

3. cmat21

cmat21
    from Tennessee

We have one here. It closed down for quite some time,but they rescued it and it has been operational for a few years now. During their open season, the thing stays packed. You have to show up about an hour early to get a spot. You cant beat it for the money. A plus side is you can be as comfortable as you want and never have to put up with the obnoctious loud people like in the theatres.

4. Model T1

Model T1

Lived in Pekin,Ill, near Peoria. Lucky enough to go to both of these drive-in theaters years ago. Must have been again in 90's after moving to Florida when we last went to the Kenosha drive in. An old hot rod movie was playing and our adopted son had never been to a drive in. Camped at Ill. Beach St Park.
    [​IMG]
    Was a drive in movie near Ocala, Fl we went to in 90's. Not sure if it still opens for special cruise nites.

5. rat nasty

rat nasty

THIS ONE IS STILL ALIVE! Georgetown,In. they do some old throw back hot rod movies we go from time to time its a good theater!

http://www.georgetowndrivein.com/
    [​IMG]

Utahvette and Model T1 like this.
  6. Scumdog

Scumdog

Hell, even Coober Pedy still has one!:D

7. bandit14569

bandit14569

I can't believe any Western New Yorkers haven't mentioned the Silver Lake Drive-in.
    Free- Entertainment every night of the week, cruise nights, live band music, etc. A real gold mine.They make there fortune on there excellent food, ice cream and of course the 2 screen Drive-in once your there. They have 3 Super Cruises a summer with up to as many as 600 hot rods from as far as 100 miles. That Drive-in is thriving ,a real hot spot out here in the country. Its all in marketing not population.

8. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

We have a couple still going here locally, on the weekends. The Paducah Drive In was my favorite. We could pile in and go watch a show and always had buddies working the food stand. Like many others , it got in the way of progress and a strip mall now takes it's place.

Attached Files:

9. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

I just read the other day that the motion picture industry is going to stop making movies in "film" and go to 100% digital..........the new projecors for this would cost about $75,000...........that will force many more of the drive-in's to close.

10. PovertyFlats...Thanks for posting the photos. I used to live in Salina and we would cruise over and catch a movie at this drive-in a few times in the summer. Had lot's of fun there. Sad to see it closed down now.

11. redzula

redzula

We need to petition or raise money to keep this from happening. Either continue to make film or donations to get new projectors

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Hi cheepsk8, check this out:

[​IMG]

Quickie scan from my folks' 1951 PJC yearbook.

Model T1 likes this.
  13. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Cool to see Chrisbcritter. I hated to see it go. Everyone that has kids [and can], ought to take them to a drive in, for the experience. Great memories!

14. Great thread. I love the old Valley Drive-In in Lompoc CA. Today it's a drive-in recycling center but the old screen is still there with its wonderful lettering. I took some pictures for my mid-century travel guide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  15. From today's TJJ Blog ... "Save the Drive In!":

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/zh2ULhXtqYU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/zh2ULhXtqYU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>​

16. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

[​IMG]

Not in LA, We got everything. This one gots 4 screens

Attached Files:

• di.JPG
      di.JPG
      File size:
      159.8 KB
      Views:
  17. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

18. Larry T

Larry T

Graham, Texas drivein could use some votes too. They're hanging on by the skin of their teeth and need the new equipment.

19. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

We drive by the Starlite Drive Inn http://www.starlitemovies.com/ every weekend when we go to the drag strip in Grove City. I wish some guys around here would organize a rally out to the drag strip for a fun run and guys who didn't want to run on the strip could go to the Drive Inn.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    Model T1 likes this.
  20. bobshotrod

bobshotrod

I saw a lot of movies at this drive in. Had a girl that live close by in Ellsworth. We used to go there to get away from her parents. LOL....

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Jenkkiauto

Jenkkiauto
    from Finland

22. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

http://www.northfielddrivein.com/ Still open and have made the move to Digital for the future.

We have taken the kids and will now take grandchildren just to make sure they don't miss an experience as much a part of America as Mom, apple pie, and the gear head life.

Late '40's and early '50's the Northfield and Mohawk [on Rt 2 near Shelburne Falls Ma] were packed 7 nights a week during the season. I remember some families [not mine] going nearly every time the movies changed in the summer when school wasn't in session, then TV came along........ Mohawk as a drive in is long gone now, site is barely recognizable while the marque board and memories remain.

Ed

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Watched many movies here. They tore it down about 1999 and built a Home Depot there. (El Monte, CA)

drive in.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  24. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

While vac on cape cod drove by the drive in yesterday

25. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

We have a four-lane highway where the old drive-in was, been gone for about 20 years. They still have one in Midtown, about an hour or so from where I live, friends of my ex-wife refurbished it after it was closed for years. Drive-in`s are few and far between, like many other things from my youth.

Model T1 likes this.
  26. My daughter was there(Wellfleet Drive-in) with her little one while an vaca yesterday !

27. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I'm doing my part tonite. We're going to the Starlite in Wichita.

28. I heard the people that own Coyote drive in in Ft. Worth are opening a new one in Lewisville Tx. on 121. So far still a empty lot.