Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Edsel 430 MEL project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercmike430, Oct 19, 2012.

1. mercmike430

mercmike430
    from Aptos CA
    1. MEL Lovers

Ok. Just picked up the final pieces I needed to build a 430 MEL engine. The tri-power set up, .40 pistons, and other misc. I already have two 59 blocks which is nice because it will bolt right into the 58 Edsel. It's going to the machine shop on Monday and hopefully ready by the spring. I will be getting this engine dynoed when it is together. I will post from time to time on the build and the dyno numbers when completed. I've been looking forward the this project for some time now, and can't wait to see what we have when it's done

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Nice Edsel. Mine is almost due for a rebuild but I want to stay FE. MEL is cool. Good luck on the project.

3. mercmike430

mercmike430
    from Aptos CA
    1. MEL Lovers

Change of plans. Just picked this up from a fellow hamber. 430 tri-power engine will go in this. Is that the rustiest door you ever seen?

Attached Files:

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

two door wagon - nice ride. Yeah, that door will tax your metal-working skills for sure. 430 Tri-power - one of the finest looking early (pre-60) V8 engine/intake combos around. 430s just LOOK like an engine.

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool project ive never seen a wagon edsel , will be awesome with a tri power mill , that sure is a rusty door ,

6. i have a four door edsel wagon parts car will the doors work or the bermuda trim?

Attached Files:

7. mercmike430

mercmike430
    from Aptos CA
    1. MEL Lovers

The doors are the same as Ford 2 door wagon, sedan and Ranchero 57 to 58. I do already have another door for this, but I may need a tailgate

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Cool project and neat wagon. I am very curious to see how the 430 comes together (bucket list motor for me).

Keep us posted.

9. mercmike430

mercmike430
    from Aptos CA
    1. MEL Lovers

The 430 block has been blasted and baked. Now the machinist has to run the long drill bit through the main oil galleys. I hope that goes well. The Edsel 2 door wagon is of course in much worse condition than anticipated. What's new? It happens every time you start a project. I'm doing floors and rockers one side at a time. Then I will tackle that ugly windshield frame problem. Hopefully I will not run out of steam before the hard stuff is done.

Attached Files: