Register now to get rid of these ads!

205/65r15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldschool1, Jan 1, 2013.

1. What is with this tire size? i have noticed it is starting to become very difficult to locate this size...and omg the price and impossible availability for this size in white walls. thin or wide...Wow, and the prices they get for them if I do find them. saw on coker it was like $250/tire.guess maybe i'll have to go true ol skool and git some bias plys. not finding the equivalents to be much more affordable.

2. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

That's still a very popular size, but not in a white wall. Ford started using it on taurus's in the late '80s until recently, and several mid size sedans still use it today. I keep (as a wholesaler) nearly two dozen choices in that size, but not any in a whitewall.

3. n847

n847

I found they were difficult to find locally with a whitewall when I needed a set, and yes when I did find em they were stupid expensive! Look for a white letter set and grind em down into a white wall. Or yess buy a bias ply!

4. If I'm not mistaken, this size first appeared on the 1982 Z-28. It was a performance tire, so that would seem to explain the lack of whitewalls.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. GREASER815

GREASER815

Just run a bias ply, cant beat the looks. And the ride.....I have never had any problems with mine, you get used to it.

6. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

They are getting harder to find. I found a new set of Uniroyals that I run on the front of my 55 chevy.

7. thanx guys. just confirmed my experience as shared by most. I've got a set of mismatched of blackwalls. I'll keep in mind when I go shopping for a matched set.
    lol could go with port-o-walls...not sure I've got enough side wall to pull it off

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nope, skip the poor port-o-wall. search here for threads on painting on whitewalls.

9. dad-bud

dad-bud

Wow, this is just about the standard size for mid-size family cars for the past 15 or more years. There are virtually millions of them available - but also virtually none in a whitewall.
    I got some 205/75-15 Whitewall radials for my OT daily driver that used that size about 10 years ago, and over almost 200,000 miles I went through 3 sets of them. They were GT Radials, made in Indonesia - they lasted forever but had a pretty hard compound.
    They aren't as good a tyre as a 'proper' perfomance tyre, but hell, they did look good on that old POS. The first set I got were really inexpensive, but they went up in price as other people saw how fabulous the newer car looked with WW's on it.
    Just don't think that you MUST use the same aspect ratio - sure, the new tyres were about 6% taller in radius, which puts the speedo out a little, but not enough to cause me any speeding fines because of it.
    I'd stick with radials if you're planning on doing many miles in your car - if it's for looks alone, then maybe the bias-plies may be worth thinking about.
    Cheers.

10. you can always buy PORT-A-WALLS for your car. That's what my car has on them. I bought the car w/ them on there, but the front 2 need to be replaced and are getting worn. you could try that option.. it' s a little cheaper. My car is running 205/60/15's and i think they are a bit small (need a 215 tire, but am low on funds right now after buying my car)- on Ebay they sell the 15" portawalls for around $99 free shipping :)

11. Just read jalopy joker's post! i would've NEVER thought about that..but you know...that is quite an idea-i am super good at painting! thanks for the suggestion-only problem is, how do you paint over the lil ridges that some have on them? guess you'd have to be super careful..lol

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

With most new cars coming with 16s, 17s, & 18s, the 15 inch tire is slowly becoming absolete like the 13 and 14.

I recently needed to replace 2 Goodyear Advantage WW on my mom's Merc Marquis and had to buy Kumho tires because Goodyear discontinued the WW.

13. sad state of affairs isn't it? the demise of the 15. I'm not very sure that the common soccer mom really gives a sh*t bout having that much road feel to warrant putting 18's on her grocery getter. oh well. purhaps its just me.suppose its the modern state of affairs that mamas gotta have 18's on her midsize sedan.....idk where I'm going with this...jus thinkn out loud I guess.