Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstery, a beginners journy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thommyknocker, Nov 25, 2012.

1. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I got my vynil at a surplus store that was in town at the time.95c a yard,black madrid,factory overuns from gm.Man that was aloong time ago:D.These threads are good for us old guys,keeps us thinking. Jack

2. Wow the headliner is looking great Thommy. Super work!!

Not wanting to hijack Thommys thread but could one of you guys explain how one would sew up a headliner from scratch or maybe start a thread in the Upholstery group on it. I am going to have to do one for my '37 Chevy truck and I am interested to see how it is done.

3. Jake
    I did a test fitting of the windshield garnish molding. It's already getting tight on the A pillar, I might not have room for a piece of cardboard. Probably because of the added thickness of the foam. I dug around and my Mom had a curved needle. I think I'll try to sew the A pillar cover piece on by hand with the wind lace installed.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

EDIT: never mind, I underestimated how difficult it is to jamb the needle through all that material. 2 broken needles and 1 thumb bandaid later I'll try the cardboard LOL

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  4. The cardboard it going to work, it's 2 layers of cereal box stuff glued together:D

Attached Files:

5. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

You've about got it Thommy. Looking good. Tight is good with women and upholstery!

I've got all the pics to do a how to and one of these days soon I'll get it done.

You're right Jack, these kind of threads keep the mind ticking. And like someone said earlier...I'm still learning every day...hopefully till the last one.

Jake

6. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

The problem I have on here is not being able to reach out and help.I am not good with a camera or computer so it gets frustrating to watch and only to tell not show.Good job thommy. Jack

7. LOL
    Your a huge help Jack. I can't thank you guys enough.

I got the B pillars finished up. For everyone else, I did a during and after shot. The material is glued to the back of the cardboard on the door side, then just glue on the metal holding the material down on the 1/4 window side. I did reinforce the top of the cardboard with 2 layers, cause the material just tucks under along the top. It wasn't very tight to the garnish molding, so I tucked a few extra scraps under the cardboard to push it against the molding.

Since the headliner went so fast, I've run out of funds for a little while. I could install my glass next, then on to carpet after recuperating from Christmas :eek:
    Happy New Year!
    Thom

Attached Files:

8. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

A job well done Thommy! Happy New Year.

9. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

Ready for some more pics;)

10. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Thommy,you got it and you may have a chance to do alot of them,make a little money for the parts you need.When i was still doing it as a part time deal,I did a lot of trading.Built my 56 chevy for near no money,plus got experience.Then went to work for a shop and did it on the side.Made a very good living.Then opened my shop 'had a freind that needed a job,trained himto be a partner,Had our shop til 92.Sold it to him,came to Or.He just retired 2 months ago.It can be a great living. Jack

11. WALIG8ER

WALIG8ER

Love the post Tommy. Am really impressed that you tackled the headliner install. I have a similar upholstery thread going on my 49 Ford. I too am a rookie interior installer and trying to do it on a budget. I have been getting all of my materials from Perfect Fit - McDonald. They have two locations, one outside Seattle and one in Portland, OR. They have pretty much anything you could need for upholstery work. Here is a link to my thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=766642

I am about to foam and wrap the door panels and have a question for the experts following the thread. I am using 1/4" landau foam on my waterproof panel board. Question is, at the edges where my vinyl will wrap around the edge, do you need to chamfer or knock the edges off the edges of the foam.

Good luck Tommy! Headliner looks amazing. I paid for mine to be done, but planning to do the rest myself.

12. Walig8er...I suggest you use 1/8 luan paneling ..The waterproof body board WILL warp in time...I use just 1/4 foam..Landau foam seems to firm to suit me..

13. redzula

redzula

Headliner looks really sharp

14. redzula

redzula

Headliner looks sharp

15. 2Hep

2Hep

Does anybody have a source to get heavy card stock for making door, kick panels and package trays? Or what do you recommend?

16. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

2hep, go back three posts, 1/8 luan panel material

17. Thanks Guys,

Took a little detour. I figured I should get some heat and A/C in before I put the carpet in ;)

18. 2Hep

2Hep

Thanks Malcolm1943... not sure how I missed that. :p

19. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Always get every thing done ,wiring acc, whatever you want in the car before carpet. No need to screw up new carpet by laying on it or cutting it or getting grease on it.And I think that carpet actually makes the best improvement in the interior.When I had my shop I would advise the customer to get the car done before we did the interior,seen to many that got over spray and burns from body and paint work.I sill suggest it today. And I have only ever put 2 nicks in cars I have worked on. Jack

20. I took Jack's advice and finished up the A/C install. It's not 100% just yet. it's not charged, but I will top off the coolant and check for leaks.
    [​IMG]

The carpet is on order with several yards extra for the trunk and such.
    Then I'll really start bugging you guys as I work forward.

Thom

21. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

There you go, carpets not to hard if you go slow. I,ll keep watching for your posts and try to help. Jack

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like your vent locations. What about side vents?

23. FANTM58

FANTM58

Not sure if its been mentioned
    But , be sure to install shower curtains s behind
    Your door panels ,
    I did some work on mine and did not
    Reinstall the plastic sheet between the door and the NEW
    door panel ,,, a lot of rain ,, and I have a warped
    Door panel ,,,,,,,Damit

24. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, I'm glad I stumbled on to this thread! Thanks a ton you guys. And Thommy, looking good bud!

25. Thanks Jack, I'm sure I can get the carpet done.

Brer, Classic has little plastic pods to hold the outboard ones below the dash. I'm making another SST cover for them today.

Fantm: I made rain shields for the back 1/4s already, I just havent gotten around to the doors yet. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks J:D

26. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

27. Super88

Super88

Great job. I'd like to clean up the trunk on my 55 Olds. It doesn't look like the panels would be that difficult to make since they're flat, but I'm not sure how to attach them in place. What's the secret?

28. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Go to this thread I posted on here early on:

http://www.suedescarclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=1403.0

Clips are on p 2 I think.

29. Here is what I'm going to do with the side vents.
    I polished up some more SST to add a nice cover for the plastic pods.
    I'll figure out how to mount them after I have the kick panels covered.

Attached Files: