Register now to get rid of these ads!

first trip to the lone star round up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasmanm01, Dec 30, 2012.

1. my wife and i are planning to go to the lone star round up in april. we have never been to austin, and are reading up on the area. can anyone tell me if there is a holiday inn near where the event is held? any info wold be welcomed.

2. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

It is a great show.Just Google Austin Tx hotels or look at the website when you sign up. Hope to see you there

3. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

Stay as close as you can to South Congress Avenue. That's where all the night life is. Plenty of restaurants and things to do in the area

4. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

The closer you try and get to S. Congress the more $$ you can expect to pay for a room. No hotels near the event which is east of downtown. Better start looking and booking NOW! The Round Up has gotten huge and there are always lots of events/festivals/deals going on in Austin every weekend. That means losts of tourists looking for hotel rooms. There are two hotels right across from the Contiental Club and I would guess they are booked for the next 20 years or so @ $1000 a night.:D The Continetal Club is cool as all get out but, there is lots going on elsewhere on the weekend of the Round Up. South Congress was way better when the whole thing started and now is going the was of the Yippie/Hipster/Tourist! I knew we were in trouble when it started being referred to as SoCo. Anyhow, if you want to park on and hang out on Congress on Friday and/or Saturday night, plan on getting a spot before noon! People park their daily drivers in a good spot and switch out with their "rods" later in the afternoon or evening. Not trying to be Mr. Negative here but, give ya a realistic idea of what to expect. Good luck and enjoy the show!!

5. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Good info...this is our 1st time to the LSR, we are excited...we got a room in homewood suites...guess its now extended stay... right off s congress...

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. mopar oh yeah

mopar oh yeah

It's going to be me and my wife's first time there as well can't wait we ended up renting a couple that lives in California vacation home 2 blocks off of south congress found the house on homeaway.com it's a great sight we used it for our honeymoon a few years ago was not disappointed

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Thats where we always stay.

8. As stated you'll spend more time on south congress than you will at the show, so stay as close as you can to that but within your budget.

You're going to have a BLAST! This has become a favorite for me and my wife. Bring plenty of money as there are amazing vendors everywhere, and food you'll dream about until your return.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A motel/hotel room withing walking distance of the action is worth the extra few bucks both to be close to the action and if you plan to party hearty.
    That not only goes for Austin but any hot rod event. At the first run we ever went to as participants we originally had rooms at the Holiday Inn at the airport in Tulsa for the 1973 Street rod nationals. After were running late and the rooms were canceled we found a room in Claremore for the night and then found a room about a mile from the fairgrounds the next day where I could run my wife back to the motel if she got tired out at the rod run and wanted to go to the motel. The original one I picked would have made that impossible.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This is one show that is on my bucket list............it just seems so diverse and huge. Gotta go some year.

Don

11. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look for the cruising crowd to start shifting away from S. Congress. It's a great area but is getting overrun by gawkers in dailies and off topic cars, squeezing out the round up cars. There will be a Lone Star Round Up thread started before too long that will have more details about what's going on. If you want to hang on Congress and check out music at the Continental, Trophy's or Jo's you'll have a great time. If you're looking to cruise keep an eye out for the alternative sites. I sure miss the days when Congress was full of hot rods for the weekend.

12. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Hutto Texas, there is a new Holiday Inn Express..... Very close to the grounds....

13. davidh73750

davidh73750

la quinta on oltorf has gone up in rate 3x since yesterday.(bastards)

14. This will be my first LSR as well.

Fortunately, my sister-in-law lives near Leander, so I'll be bunking there during the show.

The side-benefit of staying with them (and putting my car in their garage each night) is that it won't get stolen from the hotel parking lots (it seems like there's been one or two of those each year at the LSR).

15. thanks, got rooms at holiday inn in hutto. the lady was very nice and the rates was 116.00 a nite. she said we are just minutes away from the show and congress st. we are driving from ga. along I-20. any one want to cruise together let us know

16. Just goggle 2013 lone star roundup it gives ya all the info ya need including motels and a map:cool;) Try the kontinentals also.See ya there.

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Dude you a way far away from congress. Marcy usually does a block of rooms at the embassy suites I think. I may have a different sense of distance but hutto is pretty god damn far from the action. It's probably 30 minutes or more from S Congress.

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

30 whole minutes from the action?

19. I agree with Dreddybear. Hutto is way out there and not much going on in that small town. I lived there yrs back and it is more like 45 min to SoCo for the action. I would book a room closer.

20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yeah, I'm just sayin, it's not even in Austin. If this guy wants to party and stay late, then a drive to Hutto is gonna suck! It may just be me though. Usually I'm hanging out until 2 or 3 AM during the round up..

21. 73RR

73RR

3 AM ?...:eek: My Gawd, you youngsters have way too much energy. Granted, I'm usually awake around 4 or 5 most days. Just sayin'

Can someone post a link to the LSR details?

22. I'm no big roller either so a down town Trump tower parking garage isn't an option.

Would somebody from there or who knows mind telling another show newbie, the motel holes or areas to stay away from if I want to see my car where I parked it in the morning?

23. 30 minutes is not far, we can handle it. we look forward to meeting as many hambers as we can.

24. Got gun shy wait'n so late and pulled the trigger on a room at the Baymont Inn and Suites Austin South for 75.00 a night. Am I gonna have to sleep in my car with a pistol?

25. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Sounds good. If you're there on Thursday you'll be close to the meatheads run..

26. Marcy

Marcy

As mentioned above, I have arranged a group rate at Embassy Suites 300 South Congress---about a 1/2 mile from the Continental Club
    Direct reservation link

http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/...AUSLKES-LRU-20130403/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG

Group is Lone Star Roundup and $154 is the nightly rate with all the Usual Embassy stuff including parking(enclosed garage), wifi and full breakfast.

For me it's worth a little more to be close---I can come back from the show, clean up and relax, then be walking distance from good restaurants and the night-time activities.....and if I have a drink there's no drive involved.;)

Can't wait!

Marcy

27. If ya don't like crowds, fun. cars. foxy ladies, good music. good people, killer food and drink, entertainment and don't have patience, don't go! If ya go stay in Austin or it's like going to the Bahamas and staying in Haiti.

28. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Trophys is belly up. Rumor has it to be completely remodeled and re-opened a hipster joint.

29. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Something else I've noticed is that lots of the neighborhood parking around South Congress is Permit Only! So watch out and check the signs! They are usually tow away violations.

30. Just a heads up from a local. Given alternatives, I would avoid booking accommadations in Williamson County. "Authorities" there are justifiably proud of their "hard ass" reputation and although I know none of y'all would do anything illegal, I would not feel good about driving there @ 3 am after enjoying the festivities. Just sayin.......and Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012