Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mechanical model A brakes to juice Brakes. Whats easiest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64ONEOFF, Dec 30, 2012.

1. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

I know I will probably get my ass chewed for posting this. I have read and read and read about this. And there is so many variations of parts, cut this, machine that,etc. I dont have access to all the parts explained. I was wondering if there is a company that sells a kit to do this without the treasure hunt for parts. I really apprieciate any feed back. If this was posted before, Sorry I did not find it..... Thanks fellas

2. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

3. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Find a set of 40 or later spindles and backing plates I think would easiest.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. You can get the "traditional" re-popped self energizing brakes from Speedway. You will need to replace the backing plates and such.
    I had mechanicals on my A some years back - very exciting! Still have them on my '36 and one day hope to convert once I get it back on the road.

5. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

I still have the Banger in my 31 sedan and the brakes are fine. But hopefully this spring I have a 53 Flathead I want to jam in it. Not sure if I trush the mechanical brakes at that point. Thanks

6. 2935ford

2935ford

IMO, the easiest is the Lincoln setup that is now available.....but expensive.

7. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Check Clings model a parts, they have everything you need to convert to juice brakes, not cheap but looks to be quality parts. Hunt down 39 or 40 backing plates, still cheap to come by.
    Starting my conversion soon.
    Cheers thommo

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. 55willys

55willys

40 spindles and brakes with a hoop style steering arm for traditional drag link steering. Fabricate a master cylinder mount. If you want to retain the wire wheels you will have to use the wheel centering plates. The Lincoln backing plates will give you self energizing brakes.

9. MT car products

www.mtcarproducts.com/

Quality and good customer service. You will get what you pay for without the hunt.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'd check out the Speedway brake assemblies,...they have an 11" "Bendix" style brake assembly, backing plates, cyls, shoes,...to bolt on early Ford axels.

4TTRUK

12. I second MT Car Products. They are a HAMB vendor. Call them and tell them what you want to do.

13. ICEMAN-29

ICEMAN-29
    from colo.

640neoff check the tech archives under brakes take care and good luck

14. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

wilson welding ???

15. RussTee

RussTee

Modified stock or update the cost is about the same and so are the results the choice is yours I have just modified stock brakes and am surprised how well they work guess it depends on what period you are building toward.

16. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

I appreciate the info....Thanks