Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody traveling from midwest to cali on Route 66 in 2013???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mertaw, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Mertaw

Mertaw

Hey Board. Is anyone doing some traveling this summer or fall? We just got my dad's '40 Ford back on the road. (First time since 1966) Part of the agreement we made before I helped get it going was that mom & he had to number one promise to drive it and number two promise to take route 66 out to Cali from here in IA. We have family out there including my uncle who my dad bought the '40 from in 1958. My folks wanted me to check around to see if anyone was interested in caravaning on the way out. Far as I know they are pretty open (both retired) on the dates. We just can't miss the Torquefest in Dubuque in May or a local show in SE IA at the end of Aug. Dad's pretty handy to have around in a pinch and he will pack his tools, although he might be a bit slower with them than when he was dragging this car back in the '50's & '60's. My folks will travel with anyone of any age just as long as they like to eat good food and drink cheap beer. Warning they will most likely want to take their time, so if you're driving straight through wave at them when you drive by the pitstops. Just let me know if you can join them or if you have made the trip and have any tips or places from them to check out on the way.

2. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

We made the drive on our honeymoon back in 1997. It was a whole lot of fun. Get yourself a good guidebook with street-by-street directions, because at least at the time, the actual route wasn't really marked. You'll be driving down a lot of disused country and desert roads, which is where you'll find some of the most interesting old stuff.

there's something interesting to see every couple of miles. Bring a good camera and lots of film or flash chips. You'll want to drive by day and stop for the night at dusk. You'll miss all the interesting stuff if you drive by night.

As far as towns to spend the night, it's cool to drive into Tucumcari at night to see the neon and leave by day so you get a good look at the town by day. Also, try and time your drive so you can stay at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, Az. Comfortable concrete air-conditioned tipis with beautiful rustic furnishings. Since you're right there, you should make sure to drive through the petrified forest.

I'm sure lots of people will have their favorite highlights. You'll never see everything, but it's pretty hard not to have fun if you love real Americana.

3. TexasDart

TexasDart

My wife and I are driving to May 10th to the 16th and getting re-married by Elvis in Vegas on the 18th. :)

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Only place I been was Williams, Az...Took a steam train day trip to south rim of Grand Canyon..

5. A friend told me that there is a rod run from Holbrook to Kingman (AZ) first week in May. Might be worth looking into.

6. Mertaw

Mertaw

Mom & Dad are kinda looking for someone starting in IL going all the way to CA. I'm sure they would be happy to meet up with someone. May isn't gonna work. Couple of shows dad doesn't wanna miss. Especially the Torque Fest in Dubuque IA beginning of May. TexasDart have a good time even if you are getting re-married!

7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

So close but not till the next year! I have been talking with my buddy who has a 55 Chevy and was going to get my 40 Ford standard coupe done to make a trip on 66 to California this year but the thing grew to another buddy and my two brothers and it will probably be 2014 before we can all get our cars done. This would have been awesome to go with you guys.We plan to do the same thing. No scheduals and stop at any and everything any one of us wants too.

8. Lucky77

Lucky77

My girlfriend and I are finishing up the last leg of our Route 66 trip in June 2013. We're flying from Michigan to Albuquerque then driving a rental to LA over an eight day period. In 2011 we drove from Michigan to Chicago then on to Tulsa where we turned around and went back home. This past summer we flew to Tulsa then drove to Albuquerque, including the pre 1937 Santa Fe Loop before having to head back to Tulsa for a flight home. For the last leg we decided to do a one way rental so we would have more time to explore and a day to check out LA.

I'm not sure what comes after obsessed but that's what I am when it comes to Route 66. I've been traveling the Mother Road for the past seven years. If there's anything I can help you out with regarding planning your trip, send me a PM

Scott

9. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

Motels and Hotels rooms are hard to find between Ok. City and Alb. NM due to the Oil Boom. I was there in mid Sept in 2012 and if you didn't have something booked by 3:00 pm you may sleep in the car.

10. Here's a thought.......but I don't know if it's a good one.....:eek:

I would imagine some folks come to Joplin in August for the HAMB drags
    from your part of the country. It might be such they could caravan
    part or all the way here with them. Don't know how much of a hurry
    they would be in or how much they travel on 66.

Then from Joplin, they could go on toward the west as folks come here
    from Arizona and will be returning home after the drags. Maybe a
    second caravan at that time. Just tossing it out for whatever it
    may be worth.

11. eppster

eppster

Can't do it this year but it's always been my dream.