Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight pipe/glass pack and maybe flame kit suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kingkirksgv23, Dec 22, 2012.

1. How's it going hamber's so I wanted to hear some Opinions and options hears what I what I have a 302 with edelbrock rpm intake and cam and edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb and long tube headers and a t5 5speed tranny I will be putting in a 59 f100. Well any how I had the idea of runnin straight pipes with a flame kit for fun. Also I'm thinking of just running a set of glass packs according to the flame kit instructions you have to run them only with straight pipes, has any one used a flame kit with glass packs? The reason I'm thinking for just running the glass packs and leaving the flame kit out of the picture is because it will be a daily driver and I'm not sure i want to deal with the cops on how loud it is as well as the oil leaks. Does running straight pipes cause any other problems other then oil leaks?

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I am sure not all cars/kustoms that have flame throwers are running straight pipes. Glass packs are low restrictive anyway. The speedway kit should allow you to run the ignitor, plugs after the muffler towards the rear. As a daily you don't want straight pipes. Cool and fun for about a week.... Good luck

3. I'm not catching the correlation between straight pipes and oil leaks ?

Does running straight pipes cause any other problems other then oil leaks?

I'm sure if you follow the kits instructions- that it will work just like the designed it.

4. any other suggestions?

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I never understood the flame thrower thing.

6. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

7. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

"Does running straight pipes cause any other problems other then oil leaks?" WHAT? And, Oh yeah as a daily driver straight pipes cause pissed off neighbors, the general public and cops. I know this cuz a cop showed up at my front door one day to have chat with me about my knucklehead son's car. Tha car no longer has straight pipes LOL Gooooooooooooood times........

8. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I like flame throwers on other peoples rides, they can be entertaining but god, I'd never want them on mine. what's wrong with the packs and no flamethrowers?

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, do what now?

10. hd4unm

hd4unm

Yeah, never thought about oil leaks and pipes. What is that about?

11. Idk if its true but I heard that when running straight pipe it causes oil leaks do to not having any back pressure is this wrong?

Nothing's wrong with running the packs with out the flame kit, it's just an idea

12. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Hmm.. Why would the absence of back-pressure cause an oil leak?

13. hd4unm

hd4unm

As I understand it... Let's say you have too much back pressure in your pipes and your piston rings are bad, maybe you'd have internal block pressure if you breathers are lacking and oil could seep out the gaskets that are affected by internal pressure. Bad rings are going to cause more than leaks though.

I believe what your thinking of is the opposite effect, where no back pressure or vacuum is pulling exhaust out. This should not increase internal block pressure. In any case straight pipes have some back pressure because of general resistance to flow.

14. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

You guys in the valley smoke some good stuff...
    or the straight pipes are are routed thru the cab and you are breathing fumes.

Straight pipes are LOOOOUUUDD!!!! I think i have lost my hearing in my left ear from my roadster. POP POP POP...

weld the metric bung on the exhaust and run the flamthrowers.
    run staight pipes and see if you like the sound.
    If not, get out the sawzall and add sum glasspacks or muffs.

want to be legal?
    glass packs won't cut the cheese either.
    Look at DMV laws i believe it is like max of 80 dB.
    little to no improvement in HP but we can hear you coming:)

ohhh. just thought. you could have pressure build up if you have a EGR sys. Little to modern for your ford. but you would have to have an exhaust restriction. (not straight pipes)

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am getting too tired of explaining what "back pressure" really is. Almost everyone gets it wrong. It is all about the volumetric efficiency of the exhaust system and how that creates the SCAVENGING effect. It is the low pressure area, in other words vacuum, behind the high pressure exhaust pulse, pulling the next pulse out. It is not pressure at all.

Too small a system and it will create pressure, keeping some of the exhaust charge in the cylinder, where it can contaminate the next intake charge. Too large a system and that effect is lost, leaving some of the exhaust charge in the cylinder, where it can contaminate the next intake charge.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with oil leaks. Correlation is not causation.

If you are pushing out oil from the crankcase, you have bad gaskets, or worn rings. Notice, neither of those two things are part of the exhaust system.

16. arufenbarger@aol.com

[email protected]
    from Gaston, IN

Ok, my car club does alot of flamethrowing, I don't recommend flame kits because in a few years they go bad, are car club usually takes an HEI distributor out of a v8, get a small hose and clamps and connect a small fan motor out of a car) and make a bracket piece to hold the distributor and motor in place, wire the distributor and motor so that the distributor is sparking, FYI do go with glass packs or strait pipes, run a spark plug to about 4" from the pipe and rev the motor pull out the choke and turn the ignition off/ then you will be shooting great flames!!! have fun from Twisted Wrenches:)

Attached Files:

17. arufenbarger@aol.com

[email protected]
    from Gaston, IN

Also make sure and change your oil every thousand miles or less, gas will get mixed in with oil and over a verrrry long period of time it will damage your motor unless the proper care is taken. Other than that I know of a person that has been flamethrowing for 15 years with the same engine.-Indiana Twisted Wrenches.

18. Heo2

Heo2

I have heard many stupid things about
    backpreasure but causing oil leak must
    be the most stupid thing i heard
    And flamethrowers...well yeah...

19. Your flame thrower will work with mufflers it is mounted behind the muffler.

Straight pipes won't hurt your engine any if that is what you decide to run. I like to keep them long myself when I run them but there is an engine of mine in a little roadster that runs open headers and has for several years.

20. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

I have a 302 with an RV cam and true dual (no crossover) exhaust. I put a pair of 18" cherry bomb glass packs and it sounds good. It will get a little nastier once they have more miles on them.

21. jesse1980

jesse1980

Oil leaks, do you have bad piston rings or a valve not seating right for oil to come out the exhaust. If that's the case you need to worry more about the motor than flame throwers or mufflers!

22. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

thats why I got electric cutouts for my daily driver just for the neighbors and cops to get off my back.:D