Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody from Pomona remember this gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gup, Dec 16, 2008.

1. 5w32

5w32

thanks to a for sale ad in Racing Junk.com and a $ and trade deal , the new motor for the old girl is mostly a Joe Mondello creation. its a .060 over 455 using a steel 425 crankshaft to make a 437cu. in. engine. it has Childs and Albert bb chevy aluminum rods, 12:1 Arias forged pistons, Mondello steel flywheel , Mondello C heads ported and polished with Harland Sharp roller rockers ,oversized ss valves. it uses a Mondello / Engle roller cam 704/712 lift 318/328 duration and 108 lobe centers

stay tuned.....

2. 5w32

5w32

will do, merry christmas to all!

3. psychochuckie

psychochuckie

Happy Holiday's to everyone involved on this forum! Thank you for all the well wishes in the passing of my father Royce. He was a wonderful man, father, teacher and friend. He is truly missed and forever will be. My mother sent me some pictures for Xmas and this photo was included. Thought it would bring back old memories for many of you and add to Steve's collection of memorabilia on the "old Girl". This picture was taken in the parking area behind the auto shop at Garey High School. Original paint job (red with black swirls) and my dad's race suit. I hope you all enjoy seeing this as much as I did. Best wishes - Jami

Attached Files:

4. 5w32

5w32

wow , very cool photo! thanks for posting it. do you think she might have more?

5. gasser-a-go-go

gasser-a-go-go

wow this stude story and the bad banana 55 chevy story have got to be the best I have read,hands down. thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. RIP and god bless

6. 5w32

5w32

Attached Files:

7. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

8. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great article, thank you for posting it.

Happy New Year to you.

9. old injun

old injun

wow great thread...read the hole damn thing in one sittin like a bag of chips u just cant put down. this car has inspired me since first seeing it on gassermaddness. im currently woprkin on a 39 pontiac ,making it a gasser. this is a great story . hope this thread does continue and u can find a way to keep chiefs legacy alive. maybe you should get this thread published ....its that good

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great article Steve! This entire thread is just a super one! I've enjoyed following it over the years. Wish someone would make a movie of a great story like this! Royce deserves it!

11. 5w32

5w32

the Road Agents club on a fund raiser or parade, notice the club logo on the big round sign that normally hung on the shop door.

Attached Files:

12. 5w32

5w32

have a look at this video (at the 2:03 mark), you can see on the right side further down the block ...the dealership the Studebaker was bought new. it still has the dealer tag riveted to the drivers door jamb! Paul Hoffman went on to be president of Studebaker and was the one who hired Raymond Loewy and turned a positive corner for the struggling Studebaker corp. in 1939.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=7LpPKAhW9-s&vq=medium

Attached Files:

13. 5w32

5w32

a little more on Paul Hoffman and Studebaker:
    The 1939-1940 Studebaker Champion was a roll of the dice in a market Studebaker had misjudged before. It wasn't enough for Studebaker's two leading executives to have rescued the company from ruin during the Great Depression; Harold Vance and Paul Hoffman had bigger, farther-reaching aims than that. Introducing the Champion was one way to realize them.
    "Resolved that the program . . . for bringing out a new model passenger car in the low-price field be, and hereby is, approved." So said the Studebaker board at its meeting of April 26, 1938. It was a seemingly simple decision, taken at the behest of president Hoffman and board chairman Vance, yet it amounted to a 90-degree turn for the 86-year-old company, which had started life making farm wagons.
    In fact, this action would prove one of Studebaker's most important to date, one that would bring new vigor to the struggling automaker, at least temporarily.

Attached Files:

14. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Great stuff. Interesting history on that car.

15. 5w32

5w32

heres a good start to 2013, the cover has been announced for the Canadian Hot Rods Magazine with the Stude feature story in it.

Attached Files:

16. psychochuckie

psychochuckie

Wow! Do you have a contact at the magazine? I would love to purchase a few copies.

17. Ron McIntyre

Ron McIntyre

Yes it sat at my dad's shop for years.

18. MoboMac

MoboMac
    from Wet coast

READ the THREAD........AWESOME! (just "surrey" I missed all the FUN,so far) ;)

DEFINATELY a disciple (hope I spelled that right?).....I need to go for a ride in that thing......HWY 10,....after midnite?...I'll bring some license plates for ya. :D

Ummmmm,I see a Pontiac Dealer in that picture :confused:

19. 5w32

5w32

here is the Canadian Hot Rods website for the magazine where you can contact Terry:

http://www.canadianhotrods.com/

20. 5w32

5w32

Mobomac ...you are on, Hwy 10 is only a block and a half north of me...lets go

21. kennkat

kennkat

22. 5w32

5w32

Thanks for the info

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. dirt42

dirt42

Kind of lost for words after sitting here tonight reading this thread. Such dedication by everyone involved and the true spirit of the HAMB on display. Reading about the passing of Mr Hunt had brought tears to my eyes but also a smile to my face. I can look at that picture of him sitting in the seat then close my eyes and let the story continue and feel just like I was there. Again kudos to everyone involved and I appreciate you allowing me to follow along. I'm now subscribed because I want to see the next chapter in a great book. Thanks again

24. Hey 5W32, I was watching Youtube videos today at lunch, found one called "1960's NHRA Winter National Drag Racing Photos-Pt1A". At the 2.43 minute mark, the is a shot of your Stude on the weigh scales @ Pomona wearing the red "Great Balls of Fire" paint job. Didn't know if you've seen this one yet.

25. GREAT BALLS O' FIRE Stude @ Winternationals.JPG
    click thumbnail to enlarge
    original photo by Barney Cooper

26. Ya, that one. Thanks HEMI32, I couldn't figure out how to snatch the pic out of the video.

27. 5w32

5w32

wow, what a cool find, thanks Rick

28. catdad49

catdad49

My condolences to Mr.Hunt's family. It amazes me that one thing, in this case The Studie, can effect so many people in so many ways. I also think that as others read this thread, the effect will continue. Hope to see this thing run with it,s new monster mill. Thanks for sharing, Cat

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The thing that keeps coming back to me is how lucky the Road Agents were to have a teacher like Royce! I think those of us who didn't have an auto shop, or an auto shop teacher like him, are envious of the Road Agents.
    How great would it be for kids in schools today (or any day!) to have been fortunate enough to have a teacher who raced, and shared his hobby with his students!

30. 5w32

5w32

when its got the new 437 monster i will do videos and post the links to you tube
    i hope to get video on the dyno as well...