Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Nice today 0 here in Ester.Yeah I need to make it over there. Busy at work these days.......Come on Springtime so we can get the cars out and about...:D

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Mild enough the past few days, but we're looking at 93° tomorrow. I could use some -30° about now!

Merry Christmas, guys!

3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Some cyclecars from Graham Little.Gns ,Frazer Nash,chain drive 500cc,etc....And maybe we've seen some of these before!

Attached Files:

4. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

Engine detail #2 ... interesting that it has two 1 cylinder maggys rather than a single maggy with distributor. And I assume there's a right angle drive in there somewhere but it 's not visible?
    That Messerscmitt: I reckon I'd tend to feel somewhat vulnerable driving to the coffee shop (or anywhere)!

5. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Is anyone able to identify this engine?

Attached Files:

6. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Lung how about this twin mag drive set up on KIM II ? The work pictured is done by Paul Rogers Engineering.The engine is a one of a kind factory job.

Attached Files:

7. smarjoram

smarjoram
    from uk

8. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Merry Christmas and GOD bless you and your family Stefan.Thank you for thinking of me!Who is in possession of the Hornet at the moment? Duncan or Robin?

BanjeauX Bob

9. bobadame

bobadame

I've been thinking about building a cyclecar for some time. I have a Honda ST1100 that would be a good candidate. Instead I decided to do something with this old Dwarf Car. The last time I raced it was 1998 so today I decided to turn it into something "useful". The plan is to turn it into a 2 seat open roadster and make it street legal.

Attached Files:

10. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

Bob great little car , needs a hyabusa motor , and what a net well equipped workshop I could make a mess in there , ,

I think a beam axle and a model a engine with some period 19 inch wheels would make it look vintage

11. chuxx

chuxx

That will be a fun little car to scoot around town and tear up the track, too. Keep us updated on your progress.

12. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

Looks like a lot of fun! What's it weigh?

13. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

Two inline, with the rear doubling as a trunk accessible by a hatch that when removed and slid into vertical position becomes the rear seat back.

I think I have a multi-functionality design disorder....MFDD:eek:

The rear seat will also be slightly higher than that of the driver. I want the back seat riding experience to mimic that of a motorcycle passenger.

14. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

15. Just came across this early 1920s Citroen Cloverleaf "special " on Ebay Germany. Small 4 cylinder, rear wheel drive.

Attached Files:

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Interesting. I'd like to see the interior.

Of course Citroëns were thoroughly conventional prior to the 7CV of 1934; thereafter they compensated, and then some :) I assume you mention the rwd in light of the likelihood that people will be familiar only with the later, quirkier kind of Citroën.

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Are you implying that Citroen has ever built non-quirky cars? ;)

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Pre-'34, mechanically no more unusual than anything else on the road.

The same might, of course, be said of 21st-century Citroëns, more because everyone else has adopted everything that had made them quirky, and legislation precludes any new quirkiness. Any quirkiness that remains is by way of flavour; intangible look-feel stuff and rather skin-deep.

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You know it means 'lemon', right? ;)

Guess my sarcastic humor doesn't show through in the written form.... ;) ;)

20. Oui, et tres apropos...;)

21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I was wondering :)

"Citroen" does mean "lemon", but in Dutch, not French. André-Gustave Citroën was of Dutch-Jewish descent.

It is interesting that the use of the term "lemon" for a dud car predates the founding of Citroën in 1919, though not in France.

I should think that many owners of the almost 9 million 2CV derivatives made might find the term ironic.

22. You are correct that it's not French. It should be 'Citron'... :)

Having worked on a number of French cars, I think that their quirks compensate for often questionable reliability. Even so, I'd still like to have a 2CV in my collection, when space permits.

23. chrisp

chrisp

Citroen with a questionable reliability?
    I hope you're talking about the electronic era cars starting with the XM.

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I still don't understand how something like a Peugeot 504 can be indestructible in Ghana yet spontaneously fall apart in Massachusetts.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  25. chrisp

chrisp

The answer is in my signature:D

26. Good one, chrisp!:D

Ned's comments reflect my experience with French cars, stateside. Growing up in SoCal, I saw a lot of Renaults, Peugeots and Citroens, as well as the odd (in so may ways) Panhards (As an aside, Ed Iskenderian tried to get my to buy his Panhard sedan for years!). They were not known for their reliability, always needing one thing or another repaired. I used to work on them when other garages refused to do so.

The only truly reliable one I ever saw was a classmate in high school's Peugeot 403 sedan, which seemed indestructible, no matter how hard it was driven. That was back in the late 1960s. Maybe it was an 'Export Afrique' model? :confused:

Even so, I'd be happy to have the aforementioned 2CV, Dyna or even a ID or DS, or perhaps a Simca Vedette or Dyna Panhard, in my collection. :eek:

27. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

Good to see one of the world's truly classic cars is appreciated so well.
    To all, and especially those of Northern Climes with the current floods, storms, hail, slush, sleet, snow et cetera we wish you a Very Happy New Year from Sunny (30 Centigrade today!) South Australia.
    [​IMG]

28. av8

av8

Several months ago someone on this thread asked for contact information for the Honda motorcycle wheels I had purchased for my three-wheeler project. I don't recall hearing about the outcome, but I'm selling the two wheels I have because of a change in the nature of my project.

The wheels are 17 x 3 in. with plated DID steel rims and spokes. The hubs are aluminum. Quality is excellent -- typical of Honda products. They retail for $344.00 each from the "friendliest" OEM Honda parts provider. I'm asking $110.00 each, plus shipping cost.

I'm posting this 'ad' here in the cyclecar thread where it seems appropriate, rather than in the general advertising forum where it would not be appropriate.

FWIW, my project is heating up as the parts pile grows at an ever-quickening pace. We're only a few pieces away from beginning mockup!

Here are some images of the Honda wheels . . .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll monitor my PMs if anyone is interested in the wheels.

Mike

29. dadseh

dadseh

30. chrisp

chrisp

Maybe somebody can answer me to this one, as far as I know Isky did some regrind on the Panhard cam, I tried to get an answer to this from them never got an answer, I'd like to have a couple of cams done by him for a couple of projects.
    And Panhards are reliable depending on the parts you use and what you do to them, they are clockwork not american V8:p