Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects on the bandwagon Heyitsnate's 36 5w build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by heyitsnate, Nov 7, 2011.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i got a really nice 40 column from curbspeed, and did'nt have a box mount. one of my shopmates had one on a frame though,so i used his setup to make a janky locating fixture, then just bolted the rig to my frame and built a mount. it worked pretty good,and it's a heck of a lot stronger than the stock mount.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mounting the column got me all fired up about my steering wheel,so i bead blasted it and started opening up the cracks to repair them.

2. tbauer

tbauer

Nate I'm going to school here, thanks. How did you determine where to place the frame brackets and what they should look like?

3. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

which frame brackets? for the wishbone?

4. Lots of cool little tricks going on here....I might just have to use a couple on my '36 build. Thanks for posting.

5. titus

titus

Nate, looking real good.

I just looked at two of the steering box mounts laying in the corner of my shop, wish i woulda known you needed one!

6. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thanks guys! titus.....just about time to put the body on!

7. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Man,looking good!

8. swissmike

swissmike

Show me your body! ;-)

9. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

just read the whole thread . Man there is some fantastic work happening here keep up the great work
    cheers paul

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Nicely detailed build tread. A lot of meat here for the novice and journeyman alike. Please keep it up.

Frank

11. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

^^^^thank you!^^^

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I saw the car first hand a couple weeks ago,
    the photos barely do it justice
    Nate is doing some fantastic work there

13. I'm speechless. Top notch quality work.

14. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

ok ok...you wanted DESTRUCTION? alright. i lined up the door gaps, welded them shut, then braced the body. goodgarb and i then made some 6x8 timbers to support the body. after we got it all stilted up we dropped the frame down and cut it apart with a torch to get it out from under the timbers. before you freak out, know that this frame is VERY messed up pretty much everywhere. all of this so i can repair the bottom 3" of the A and B pillars....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

damage. this frame was cracked through the center x, under the wheelwells, and twisted and ruffled down the length of each rail. when i squared the doors the body came up above the frame on each side in diagonal corners. you could see why looking at the splits and cracks in the frame. this car could be on dr. drews celebrity early ford rehab. after christmas i'll repair those pillars and plop it on it's shiny new frame and subfloor assembly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Great work Nate!!

17. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

One of the best threads on here. (I'm building a 35 eventually)
    Very informative, cheers. Merry Christmas

18. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thank you!

props to you. i understand building a 35/36 in oz is really hard, its hard enough here, i cant wait for the build thread!

i got a couple things done. here's goodgarb giving me the "i told you so" after i x braced the doors.
    [​IMG]

19. I have come across some more floor pieces you may want. Also gathering doors for your challenge.I have enough pieces, Ithink you can make what you have work...I will send you pictures soon.

20. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

21. Nate, this truly is awesome seeing you elevate to this build....man, you're ahead of me! I'm impressed, and you know i'm a pretentious dickhead, so that really means alot! lol
    I don't know what Kindra is putting in your food, but you're Super Nate now

22. seret

seret

Looking really great Nate!! cant wait to see it in person. the dimple die tool is killer, im stealing that!! what ID on the grip vs the hole in the barstock?

23. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thanks dudes! i made some time these holidays to get some stuff done. i redid my subrails so they sit more level with the running boards, then i cut out the rotted lower b- pillars. i made new donor pieces from 2 sizes of box tubing and some 16 g sheet.
    [​IMG]
    i welded some 1/4x1/4 to some 1" then cut the face off the 1/4 for the tack strip recess.

[​IMG]
    fits together pretty good
    [​IMG]

24. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i got the drivers side in, then the passenger side. i left the floors in so i could see the approximate curve/ length and general position of the new pieces by refitting the cut out areas of floors against the donor pillars. once that was done i cut out the floors entirely and moved on to the A pillars. they are not totally gone so i can get away with sliding some box tubing inside them and use some rust encapsulator. little more work and i can pop the body on. woo-hoo!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Desert_Rat

Desert_Rat

Great build thread!! Thanks for sharing..

~Dustin

26. Risky

Risky

Awesome looking build. I'm following closely. Ready to see some body on frame action.

27. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thanks matt! i'll measure it for you but i think the grip is 7/8 and the hole is 1" ...i did also bevel the inner edge of the hole. can't wait to come down for the fun stuff!

28. k-member

k-member

Wow you have your work cut out for you but, great job looking very nice so far. Love those 36's.

29. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

this week i finish welded my subrails, and capped the ends of my rocker sills, and test fit my floors on last time before the body goes on. i chipped away at my fender and cowl patches, and made a body fixture so i can use a cherrypicker to help with moving the body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Holy shit! That is coming along nice! I have been away too long. Looks rad!