Register now to get rid of these ads!

So I bought a '64 Mercury yesterday...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lizzie, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jrdeleon0430

jrdeleon0430

Wow, what a great find! And, a great deal. I can't believe how immaculate she looks on the inside. Congrats on your new (old) car!

2. lizzie

lizzie

Thanks everyone!

Brake lights are now working (ended up replacing the brake light switch which took a couple days to hunt down, folks at NAPA finally found one in the back and gave me a call)
    and now she's got a new exhaust set up on her that we put on today and sounds a LOT better. All in all she's driveable now and is doing pretty well overall. Just little stuff now like the dash lights and we'll be handy. :)

I feel a ton closer to her now. Startin to think she might actually like me. :)

I'm still head over heels fro the Desoto, I haven't done much on her in the last 2 weeks since the Merc has been takin up all my time, but I'll probably start messin with the Desoto again this weekend.

The fuse has been replaced and is good, light still ain't workin. I've got another idea I'm gonna take a look at tomorrow during lunch at work.

3. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Nice find, pretty darn scarce! Really a good name for a sporty style car too!! Hated to see Ford ax Mercury, a mistake in my view! Keep us updated! Merry Christmas!

4. moefuzz

moefuzz

You Did Well!

What an Awesome Story and just a Great Ending!

BTW, Windex, not the fake stuff but the Real Windex will do absolute Wonders on your cloth and vinyl seats (and interior)...

Squirt-Squirt Dab Dab Dab!..........;)

moe

5. Congratulations.

6. grapp

grapp

you lucked out nice car and should be an awesome dd!~

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

8. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

More than likely you have a bad or dirty dimmer switch causing the no dash lights.

Very nice car !

9. lizzie

lizzie

So a couple small updates,
    Ended up having to redo the exhaust on one side ( I kind of broke it. You don't wanna know. hahaha) The exhaust currently on there is still just temporary, because I picked up a set of headers for her last week, I'm just waiting on saving up the money to pick up a couple smithy's and gaskets and all that so we can install them on there.

With the headers I also scored a new(er) carb and intake, still 2 barrel.. the intake is still sitting around, because I didn't really need to put a new one on there but the new carburetor is on there now, which seemed to make quite a difference in her for the better.

I did however gussy up a little under the hood, I painted my air cleaner and valve covers to match the interior (I was going to to hand paint MERCURY back on the valve covers in white, but I was really hungover and kind of hurting that day and just said to hell with it for now and I'll do it when I get the time to pinstripe the air cleaner too) Anyway, it looks a hell of a lot better than it did, so mission accomplished.

[​IMG]

Anyway, that's about it for now. I've started to get really particular about everything now, finding every tiny thing wrong I can and putting it down on the list for repair or replacement, most of it is stuff that could wait, so at least its all on the list for slow times when I don't have anything more pressing to take care of.

10. fxcomet

fxcomet

Had a 64 Marauder. Was one of the best car's I've ever owned. I miss mine every time I see one. Congrats!

11. lizzie

lizzie

Thank you! They are super fun cars.

12. thanks Bill....you did her good....

13. lizzie

lizzie

I have some really good friends watching over me when it comes to cars.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  14. 4rod

4rod

had a 63 meteor...cool find...makes it even cooler when your in a bind...

15. lizzie

lizzie

Put on a points eliminator the other day, she's happy happy happy now. Still tinkering with the dash lights, but i did get the turn indicators on the front swoop up pieces ( yeah, I'm unsure of what the technical term for that would be, they're neat though) to work.

The only things I can think of doing to her other than the dash lights/speedometer is putting the headers on, but I also haven't ordered the smithy's yet either hahaha..

I am incredibly proud of myself that I got her this far, She's one hell of a car. She's come a long way from that field we found her in. :)

I'm actually putting her up for sale, I want to get back to work on the Desoto, to finish her by May, and a 2 door is a little rough to cruise in and carry groceries in with a kiddo in tow all the time. It's a fun toy, and she's driving great now, but I really prefer a 4 door for a daily.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  16. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

wow I wish you were closer I love this car, it's a shame your selling it. Good luck.

17. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

18. Skam213

Skam213

one of my first classics was a '63 monterey, loved that car, that era of mercs just look classy.

19. jazzbum

jazzbum

love that year merc. few things beat the thrill of the first mornings with a new one. going to make a helluva daily driver.

20. lizzie

lizzie

I'm still tinkering on her until I get her sold, just because I can't sit around doing nothing. (That's how ya get in trouble you know.) Cleaned out the trunk today and gave her a real good bath last week. Amazing how well she cleaned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still need to vacuum the rugs and wipe the seats down a little better, but you get the idea. :)

21. sorry to hear your partin' with er' but I didn't really want to let go of my 1963 1/2 Galixie....did you say 1956 Desota ?

Got tail lights ?

22. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

Nice! That will be a fun daily driver

23. lizzie

lizzie

'55 Firedome :) She's got everything except the parts that make her go...and stop. hahaha

24. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

she is a sexy car for sure !!