Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Charlie Vogelsong passed away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Dec 24, 2012.

1. oj

oj

I just learned that Charlie Vogelsong - the owner of Dillsburg Aeroplane Works - has passed away.
    Charlie is an aeronotical engineer that owned an airplane supply business in Dillsburg PA. He sells chrome-moly tubing. I bought tubing for racecar contruction from him for about 30years, he was an airplane guy and could care less about cars.
    An amazing guy. He bought more chrome-moly than anybody in the country and quite literally he set the price on it. My most current price sheet is 15years old and the price is nearly the same now. Every now and then i'd go up there instead of having it delivered, his booth was plastered of pictures and letters of thanks from famous race car teams and builders - tons of them from old indy and canam cars to modern funny cars.
    I got the feeling that his kids don't want to carry the business on, a real tradgedy because of the history.
    Rest in Peace Charlie, you'll be missed.

2. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Sad to here....we have bought specialty tubing and odd stuff from him for years.
    Always treated us fair.

RIP

Tony

3. the fletch

the fletch

i havent bought anything from him in 10 yrs, but ill never forget him. that gravelly voice that stated ---- vogelsong ----told me many stories. rip mr vogelsong.

4. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Two of us just bought some chromoly from them just a few week or so ago......They are selling off all the stock...........I bought all the tubing for the mid engine Roadster from him as well and recently tubing for the FED that will be built next...He was great to talk to on the phone when I bought the tubing for the Roadster just over a year ago...he knew all the #'s and prices and been doing this for years.......A huge East Coast supplier for this part of the country....for Nascar, and for all forms of racing and aircraft builders in general.........Sad ...he will be missed and as mentioned above..he set the price....our local suppliers all bought from him and asked twice the amount per foot after it went thru their shop doors............Littleman

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Sad news indeed.... I started buying Chromolly there to build bicycles about 15 years ago....

always a neat place to go....
    funny when someone would fly in in their airplane to pick up an order!!

Zach