Register now to get rid of these ads!

I am the new caretaker of this cooool 40

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haychrishay, Dec 24, 2012.

1. haychrishay

haychrishay

Well it all started the tuesday before thanksgiving, I passed caretaking responsibility of the GMC to Brian Loker, a really talented painter and nice guy. So i thought what next? didnt take long to discover The 40 here on the HAMB and make a deal With Nick. I can barely wait to get it here. But I need some feed back. It has a 48 Merc Flatty in it and I think a set of heads and a two or three carb intake would really make it, or......should i just leave it alone ?

Attached Files:

2. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

Nice! That's my favorite car. But you know you have to make it your own and do the things to it that make you happy. That's what we do.

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Beautiful car, but the water neck placement at the front of the heads most likely makes it a '49-'53 engine. '48 Merc had the outlets at the upper, center of heads. If it truly is a Merc, the '49-'53 has the 4" crank. DD

4. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

5. Saw this in the classifieds. Very cool sedan. You did good. Make it yours, but the only requirement is ..............................Enjoy the heck out of it!

6. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

It is a 59ab motor. Later heads. I bought the motor that way and just left it to see how it would do.

7. ........Guess a change of your avatar is in order.:(

8. brady1929

brady1929

very cool, my vote is to leave it alone and drive it.

9. Muttley

Muttley

If you change the heads go with the early type, the late type with the front water necks are ugly.

10. Cool how stock appearing it is.

11. Super bitchin car!!

12. Love these cars. Very cool.

13. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

You can't just leave it as it is............you know that.

14. 2935ford

2935ford

Just drive it like it is for awhile and let it talk to you!

15. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

What are the cane on the fenders

16. now this is a nice ride, drive it as is and enjoy.....

17. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess. Enjoy ... 40 C-dans are one of my favorites.

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Here are a couple of thought starters if you must make it yours. My friend has the same question as he just purchased this one.

Attached Files:

19. haychrishay

haychrishay

Anybody that knows me, knows I will drive it! Cosmetically I will leave it the way it is.......I mean look at it , it's bitchin !!! I had a friend find a 38 with a similar story and I thought about buyin it and doin what Nick did to this car with the exception of the aluminum heads and multple carb intake but didnt have the ability to buy it then. Like 2935ford said I will drive it a while and let it talk to me. But I need schooling, does the 59ab have the 4" crank ?

20. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

glad to see you found something

21. bonesy

bonesy

Very cool. I would absolutely leave the exterior, interior and stance alone - and just make the engine changes you mentioned.

22. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Awesome. I saw the car in the classifieds and thought someone is going to get a great deal.

23. haychrishay

haychrishay

I need to get one of these stickers for the ford, this one is on dad's 41 Cad

Attached Files:

24. deto

deto

I have been seeing more of these 40s in this body style lately. I have alway liked them but I have a bad feeling they're gonna become too popular before I can afford one. Either way awesome car!

25. Leave the body and interior alone, but add the heads, dual intake and carbs. Make it go fast!

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Sounds like you know exactly what to do..

I fell in love with that '40 as soon as I saw it on here. Aesthetically, it needs nothing! But, hey, a little more scoot never hurt anyone. ;)

27. Ohhhhh, you asshole! Let the GMC go without even asking me? You know how much I love that truck..
    Well, congrats for getting the 40 sedan tho...it looks like a nice car, even if it's never gonna be a 55-56 GMC shortbox.
    I'd have to play with it. Aluminum heads, 2-2s and a better ignition. My 33 pickup had a 59 AB in it and guys usta tell me about problems they encountered in rain with the low-mount distributor getting wet. I never drove mine in rain...snow-yes but never rain.
    I'd be tempted to use an 8-BA front cover, and a warm 8BA cam to take advantage of the 8BA style distributor, which would probably be a chevy V/8 distributor with a pertronix kit in it..
    And to be totally honest, I'd use a single 4 barrel carb on it too. I used an old 55 Buick Rochester 4 barrel carb on my first flathead, a 53 Merc motor my dad and I built for my 50 crestliner in '64 and later put it in my 41 tudor sedan. Loved it.

Attached Files:

28. .............???:confused:???

29. Sweet. Higher probability that I will see the car, now that it has moved further east. I've always liked that sedan.

From the pictures, my only recommendation would be to pull the steering wheel off, clean the black crap off of it, and shoot it with some clear lacquer. It will keep you from having black palms when driving it with any humidity in the air.

30. I agree and I would look for block lettering and not script.

My thoughts on it is that if it is a hot rod or even a custom it needs to at the very least look souped up if it is a resto it needs to look stock.

Another thought is a pair of rocky mountain heads ( stock from FoMoCo) or some Canadian heads and an extra carb. Maybe some Fenton headers would really balance the look.

OK now I am moving you toward expensium or unobtanium. But I can dream can't I? :D

Very smooth old Ford, ya got it in spades any direction you go with it. :cool: