Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest R.I.P. Tony Waters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, Dec 23, 2012.

1. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

2. Sorry to hear of any passing.Who is Tony Waters?

3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

4. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I assume you are saddened by Mr. Water's passing ? We are all glad your family has not suffered a passing !

Yes, very sad, another legend of drag racing has been lost...

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Maybe someone can post a little more about his racing career. The link did not offer alot of info.

6. 296ardun

296ardun

Tony Waters was a Bakersfield legend...started racing a GMC-powered T-modified roadster at places like Saugus, Minter Field, Santa Maria, etc, later put a carburated Desoto in it, and then added a front-mounted blower. In this configuration he took runner up at the '59 Bakersfield Smokers meet (lost to Art Chrisman when Waters spun in the sand on the track), then won a big fuel meet at Henderson NV a couple of weeks later (I was there, Water's car was the loudest on the planet!)...beat Ted Cyr in the final, remember this was a roadster!. Tony then went top fuel racing with a series of dragsters, most by Woody Gilmore. Sadly, Mike Sorokin died at OCIR in one of Tony's cars.

He was a great racer, member of the Smoker's Car Club (roadster was painted "smoker purple")....RIP Tony Waters

7. RIP Tony Waters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. acerods

acerods
    from CALIF.

RIP Tony
    I picked a DeSoto motor for my truck because of W, S, and G roadster.
    Ace

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Sincere sympathy and prayers to his family & friends.

Jonnie King

10. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

R.I.P. Tony....
    Godspeed my friend.

His roadster if one of my favorite early drag cars. Awesome for sure.

11. derelict

derelict

12. derelict

derelict

Damn, a real hero...

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere sympathy goes out to his Family and friends

15. kennkat

kennkat

My sincerest condolences to Mr Water's Family and friends.... Yes, another true legend is gone, Rest In Peace Sir.

16. 117harv

117harv

I met Tony a few years ago, he co owned a fed with a local friend and would head up to Oregon to visit a couple times a year. If he was there when I went to see my friend I would ask questions about his racing past, he had alot to share....rip Tony.

17. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

It seems as if all the heros of my youth are passing away and I am losing something of myself as each one passes. I saw Tony run at Famosa when I was a kid and he was always in the hunt. Rest in Peace.

18. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Tony Waters was the first person to go 200mph in a highboy roadster. I got to meet him at Bonneville, and I'd say he had a heavy load of nitro running through his veins.

Another legend lost. RIP

HEMI32 likes this.
  19. Rip and godspeed. Saddening to read this tonight.

20. My buddy and I just missed getting hit with schrapnel when the front mounted blower plenum exploded at the 1000 foot mark during the '59 March Meet TE final. Tony had Chrisman covered, and would have won TE with the roadster if it would have hung together another 200 feet. Thanks for the thrils Tony. RIP.

The roadster was rebuilt with a new hood and top mounted blower.

[​IMG]

21. 296ardun

296ardun

Dean, I was standing on the fire truck at the end when he blew the blower, remember the hood flew way up in the air, the manifold looked like someone put a hand grenade in it.....but that was in '60 (I missed the '59 meet), he spun on the '59 TE final against Chrisman because sand had blown on the track...that final (pictured above) was after dark, and the track asked spectators parked next to the track to turn on their headlights -- the track had no lights...

22. T-Shirt from '03--the Bakersfield boys had a table right next to ours.
    My dad drove Tonys car a couple of times at Bakersfield,& it's what inspired him to build one of his own with a Chrysler.He liked it a bunch because he could see real good out of it.There's some slight similarities.
    He's in good company with some of the original Bakersfield Smokers,,James Warren & Roger Coburn,Jim Sughrue,John Edmunds,Gary Cagle,Ernie Hashim,Jack Williams & prob a few Ive forgetten---theyre prob having drinks at the Woolgrowers.
    R.I.P. Tony--

troy cagle

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  23. jfrolka

jfrolka

RIP Tony Waters, always had a big smile on his face on the return road when Darrel turned the win lights on.

24. jangleguy

jangleguy

I barely knew him him - just enough to know he was the real stuff. We crossed paths a few times in Oregon and every time I went to Bonneville and Bakersfield. My regards to Darrell and the family.
    Service on Jan. 5th at Hillcrest Mortuary at 11:00AM. Celebration of life afterward at The Woolgrowers. Be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. You're correct, 1960. I looked at some old pic I took at Famoso with my Brownie camera, and the develop date is Mar 60. The memory isn't what it used to be.

26. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Rest in Peace Tony , Tim Jones

27. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I just knew Tony from Bonneville. He sure didn't seem to be 85 years old. Neat guy. Wayno

28. scootersnpie

scootersnpie

Rest in peace my friend. You, Ernie, and Bud taught me well.
    Say hello to Dad, I am thankful for the years.

29. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

another great is gone. i didnt know mr. waters but have read about him. i have seen the car at the museum, and can tell by looking at it he was the real deal. he lived his dream, drag racing. alot can be said for that. we all have one shot at life, do what you love. r.i.p. mr waters, im sure your standing next to another quarter mile.