Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome/Nickel Plating company in SW Michigan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChopTopJimmy, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Anyone know of a reputable Chrome/Nickel Plating company in SW Michigan? Looking to have some plating done but I'm not sure where to take it. Thanks in advance. CTJ

2. I had Proctors chrome some parts for my '54 Vicky a few years ago. Turned out nice and not too crazy on price. If I remember right they were in Kalamazoo. Try to Google Proctors Chrome and you should find thier info.

3. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Found a Proctors Chrome Plating in Muskegon? Not in Kalamazoo... Could that be the one?

4. Yes, Procto'rs is in Muskegon. Brian is a good guy and been at it a long time.

Charlie

5. Yup, my bad. Did some pot metal turn signal housings and rechromed my grill.

Nice work.

6. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Do they do nickel plating also or just chrome? Thanks again. CTJ

7. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

They do their own copper,nickel, and chrome plating in house. Bryan is my uncle! And yeah he's been in the business for a while. I remember when I was a little kid in the late 80's, early 90's seeing him working out of the shed behind his house polishing bumpers, lol. He did polishing long before that, even.

It's Proctors Metal Finishing, If I remember correctly. It's in Muskegon.
    Number is 1-800-383-4277.

8. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Josh, do they prep your parts for plating or do the parts need to be prepped prior to taking them there? Some of the parts I need nickel plated have surface rust or have an old plating flaking or worn off in spots. I'm a newbie to the whole plating process. Thanks, CTJ

9. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Its typical that the plater does the whole process (stripping/repair/polishing/plating) and all you are expected to do is disassembly before bringing to plater, if needed. You may be able to save a little to a lot of $ if you have the ability to properly strip parts and/or polish them yourself, but if you do it wrong or just not very well, you may actually make the job harder for the plater. It depends on your abilities and expectations. Its best to talk with the plater and see what he says.

I'm actually in Muskegon right this moment visiting the wife's family for Christmas. Weird...

10. It's truly a small world. I've known Bryan a long time - since he was polishing parts in the shed. He lives about a block from me. Just had him strip the chrome off a Porsche wheel for me.

Charlie