Register now to get rid of these ads!

Im looking for a DIY spray on Rhino Line or Line X type coating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Thunderboy, Dec 23, 2012.

1. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

I am doing some welding on one of my cars for the floors etc and I wanted to Rhino line the entire interior floor and firewall area for sound dampening.

there are no mobile Rhino Line or Line X guys anywhere near me in NY to come on site and do this so I need to find a good DIY system.

can any of you guys suggest a product, top of the line and DIY that i can shoot myself at home? Im not lookin to save cost doing a cheapy system but i really want to do this rather than Dynamat, My buddy had his 36 Ford done in Virginia at a shop who did the Rhino Liner in house and its awesome

I do not want to use those gritty coatings that dry hard and feel like 80 grit sand paper which has ceramic in it. I want a thick rubber coating.

2. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Raptor bead liner is some real good stuff , I've used it on a bunch of projects , with great results , it's made by u-pol , I got mine off of eBay for like around 120$ with the gun . Do a search on here Of it ,There a lot of great reviews .

3. I have used the trunk coat in the floor & firewall with good luck

4. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

Hi i heard that Lizard skin is that hard gritty type coating have you used this and is it a rubberized type of system?

i emailed Lizard skin a few times to send me some samples and i still havent received them yet, 6 weeks since.

5. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

thanks for the lead, can you throw up some photos of stuff you did? does it dry pretty quick? I know the real Rhino stuff dries in seconds with that special heat spray gun they use

6. Herculiner! It comes in a one gallon can with a roller. One gallon does a six foot truckbed and one and a half gallons does an eight foot bed. I would recomend doing two gallons.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Used raptor on several trucks. It's good stuff, tpc global also carries it and sells thru ebay

8. Call your local Paint suplier, and ask what they have, that you can spray your self.

9. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Check out SEM "rock it" cheap and really durable. In kit form

10. They have several versions.

The ceramic version is more on the gritty side due to ceramic particals in the product for heat control.

Anything with heat control will have something in its makeup that will be gritty and you'll want a product with heat control if you're spraying the underside of a floor.

I have used the sound control product in limited amount on the inside of a car. It worked well and I wouldn't consider it gritty.

11. Reds 29

Reds 29

I used SEM bedliner on a truck bed a couple years ago. I tinted it body color and it came out pretty good. I used a spray gun they sell. Price was reasonable. That was 4 years ago and it still looks good. They also sell a number of other paint products.

12. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

thanks for the product leads i am going to call my paint shop after the Holiday and also the companies to get samples of the material cured and sprayed out.

13. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

View attachment 1820345 ImageUploadedByTJJ1356310963.217125.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1356311031.960037.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1356311056.098619.jpg
    These are the pics I have , raptor also has a tint-able version , I've used sem as well , raptor is half the price with the same out come of sem ,from what I found is with all the DYI kits is its not going to build like ryno-liner and the dry time isn't as fast , raptor is a two part set up that comes in quart bottles as well so if you want a small area u just add the hardner to that quart which the bottle attaches right to the gun ,and when your done just throw that plastic bottle away . Hope this help

14. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I used Raptor on the inside of my tilt frontend, it worked great and there's a Blown Hemi sitting under it.

15. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Sem rock it kit sells for just over $100. Better than ANY walmart roll on junk or rattle can crap.

16. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Where did u get sem at for that price , last time I checked it was 240$ a gallon great stuff btw

17. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Summit.... $109.99

18. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Check out Al's liner...hands down the best DIY liner.

19. fenderhead

fenderhead
    from Stevens PA

AL'S liner is for do it yourselfers. They also sell HNR heat and noise reducer. I applied both on my 38 coupe and highly recommend it. Pretty in expensive too. We sell the liner for $110 a kit and the HNR for $65. Awesome stuff.

20. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

I dont know AL or anything about his liners. I do know that Ive used sem products to put food on my table and its good stuff. If it were me Id go with a proven million dollar backed company on my stuff. But thats just me.

21. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

The Raptor UPOL stuff is great, I use it on the underside of my projects, 2 part mix so super durable, very low overspray so can be sprayed without a booth or worrying about getting it all over.

[​IMG]

I also use the herculiner on the inside of floors, good stuff as well but does not come out as uniform because it is put on with a roller. It will also fade if used where the sun will be on it. The herculiner is also a rougher texture when dry than the UPOL, so if you dont want the "non slip" type surface go with the UPOL.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  22. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

My buddy just used SEM Pro-tex bedliner. It turned out very good.

23. I used Duplicolor BedArmor on my last project with good results. Using discount codes from Advance Auto it is very reasonable. $100 retail, $80 on sale, $60 after code. You get a gallon kit with roller, pan etc. No mixing. Not saying it's any better than any other but it didnt disappoint.

I am tempted to try Als after reading this thread.................

24. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

I prefer the SEM products. Tried the ProTex but didn't see much difference from their standard product. I guess we sprayed about 15 or 20 beds with SEM without any problems. We sprayed several with Raptor and they looked better (you can control the texture more than with SEM) but, and a big but, they came back when the weather got hot. You could take your fingers and scrape it off when it was 100 degrees outside, cool it off and it wouldn't budge. That was several years ago so maybe what happened to us was a fluke.

25. Raptor bedliner:

Attached Files:

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We used Gator Guard on this one and it is 2 part. We sprayed it but I understand it can be brushed or rolled. I am going to use the same stuff under the body of my own rpu.

Don

[​IMG]

27. I use U-Pol Raptor bed liner.
    Love it!

28. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

Guys who have use the raptor upol stuff is the finish a flat black or it has some sheen to it? I just want to shoot out of the can not inclined to tint it with paints

29. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

This gator guard seems to have a much coarser finish than the others, is this application technique or this product Is so thick it lays down as shown?