Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1959 Cadillac Six Window Sedan DeVille in Dubai

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LaurieB, May 11, 2012.

1. Beautiful car. I'm also a fan of chrome wire wheels......have a set of
    1955 Chryslers on my 47 Plymouth convert.

[​IMG]

2. LaurieB

LaurieB

Nice! That is a cool centre cap. TrueSpokes also?

3. LaurieB

LaurieB

A few more pictures from today uploaded :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The folks at TrueSpoke were very helpful - great service and answered a ton of emails back and forth to work out all these unusual requests to get this done in this size. Not only a really nice product, wonderful people to deal with on emails and on the phone.

4. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

I'm completely in love with this car... still. Those glamour shots are incredible. I guess I need to start saving for some vintage Cad steel now. Can you post or PM me some pics of your friends green 59 as well? I love the color of his too. Thanks!

5. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Wow, nice 59 and pics look great. Glad to hear a dream come true for you and from the looks of the weather out there, you'll prob drive the wheels right off the car! Thanks for sharing.

6. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Beautiful car one of my favorites, I was not on board with the big wheels but I have to say they look great! I really like where you are going with the caddy. :)
    Cheers Andy

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi LaurieB.Welcome aboard.Beautiful Caddy.Great photos.Always good to see more ladies getting involved in the hobby.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I know Dubai is a gigantic city but ....I don't suppose you've seen a cream colored 55 Ford Victoria running around there?

That's my old car.... sent it over there about 3 years ago.

Attached Files:

9. LaurieB

LaurieB

Thank you! It took me a long time to save for it but it was well worth it.

I have a few more pictures of the green one that I will try to upload, but he's only just got it on the road after re-painting it so I haven't seen it out often. :) The metallic pastel green is pretty nice and retro but the chrome jumps out much more against the red I think :)

10. LaurieB

LaurieB

Thank you :) Hopefully the wheels don't come off any time soon - they look built to last :)

But definitely preparing to use it. Over the christmas period I reckon I'll be putting 1-1.5k miles on it driving it to see friends and family, and then in the next year hopefully some more interesting local adventures. That's why I like the restomod build theme - building it to use it. :)

11. LaurieB

LaurieB

Thanks for the compliments Andy :)

12. LaurieB

LaurieB

Thanks Leo... would be good to see more ladies getting involved but Laurie is actually an english abbreviation of Laurence. ;-)

But the girlfriend is getting more and more interested in it all so that's great :)

13. LaurieB

LaurieB

Sweet Ford! Haven't seen that on the roads! If you're still in touch with the new owner, you can tell them to get in touch with the "Jebel Ali Cool Car Klub" group on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/groups/312873415469 or http://www.jacckdgas.com/ - regular diner meets and cruises.

There seems to be lots of interesting metal over here, but finding out who owns them and encouraging them to bring them out is the hard part. :)

14. Very cool ride right there Laurie!!

The wheels really look great, the extra chrome is never a bad thing!! :cool:

Bill

15. LaurieB

LaurieB

Thanks Bill!

16. LaurieB

LaurieB

Just completed a 400+ km road trip in the Caddy to visit the folks for Christmas... by far the longest journey I've done in the car so far. She performed brilliantly. Sat at 85 mph very comfortably on the open roads. No hint of wobble or vibrations. The TrueSpoke wheels and Black Diamond Whitewalls were a great decision. Made the journey effortless.

I've done this road trip in my Jeep, my MX5 and my Toyota version of the Scion FR-S. I think the Cadillac was the least fatigue and most comfortable despite being 53 years old!

Here's a couple pics from the journey. Will have more pics of nice locations while I'm here over the next 10 days.

Silhouette of the Caddy on the guard rail as the sun-sets, on the way towards the border.

[​IMG]

Stopped just after the border as the sun drops off the horizon. Most of the journey was in darkness. Also very happy with the Harley lights!

[​IMG]

Love these. Would have been a much more exhausting journey with the old tires!

[​IMG]

17. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

Where did you go to?

18. LaurieB

LaurieB

Woops - forgot to mention - I'll be spending christmas and new years in Muscat, Oman. Oman is the neighbouring country to the UAE. It's basically the east coast of the Middle East and it's where I actually grew up and my parents still live there.

:)

19. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

So beautiful. This is more than likely a stupid question based on the condition of the car as I see it, but does it have functioning air conditioning? I'd assume that's on the must-have list in the Middle East.

20. By the way Laurie, you have an amazing eye for photography. Great colour and lighting. The shots at the diner at night look mint!!

Bill

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Hi Lauri.My bad.See what ASSUMPTIONS gets ya.Hehehe.I done stepped in it again.Best to you and yours for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. LaurieB

LaurieB

Not a silly question - Notice how the windows are always open in the pictures? She has no AC system at the moment. :)

But that's okay because I don't really like the factory system down low under the dash. I have a plan for something better, "how the factory should have done it" And I have a spare dash structure off Ebay sitting in a container with a friend's 67 Lincoln on the way to Dubai.

Will be making modifications to that one, then re-wrapping it in leather and should be a direct swap :) Will have 2 ball vents facing the driver in the existing round features on each side of the instrument cluster, and one added for the passenger. 4 will look odd as it will break up that straight line dashboard above the stereo...

Also planning a hidden Garmin system that will rise out of the dash like the CTS-V ;-) No more windscreen suction cups :) When powered down, you'll just see the outline of the flap that covers it, covered in the same material as the dash.

It's all about getting the modern functionality in the traditional aesthetic. :)

The funny thing is... it's the second car I've bought in this part of the world without AC ;-)

The daily driver 86 / FR-S has incredible AC though!

23. LaurieB

LaurieB

Thanks Bill! The car is a piece of art - it deserves the time to take a proper photo :)

24. moefuzz

moefuzz

Just caught this thread today and I must say I am JEALOUS.

Not just of the beautiful red Caddy but also of your wonderful sunsets and the warm hue given to the pics.

What camera are you using? Nikon? Canon? The pics are outstanding!

BTW, those fellas certainly did do a beautiful job on color matching the hood.

As a last note it's good to see some classics running around in the Middle East....

moe

25. LaurieB

LaurieB

Moe, the camera is the Sony NEX7 - I've always liked Sony's cameras. Used to get amazing photos with the old pocket Sony and now I'm really liking this one with the swappable lenses. The iPhone has replaced the pocket camera really.

Today's picture set - we've just done Christmas Eve over here in the Middle East :) Dropped Santa off at the compound in a 6.4L Sleigh with a whole bunch of Harley Davidsons as reindeer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think we have a future petrol head here :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas HAMB'ers!

26. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Cool car. Did you happen to be into jeeps before this?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. Blake84

Blake84

I told the person at Carl's jr too leave it for a bit and that was 6 months ago haha....see on my dash the big 59! I LOVE your car by the way its gorgeous for lack of a better word. Merry Christmas
    [​IMG]

28. LaurieB

LaurieB

Jeeps before what?

The Jeep is the car I learned to drive on. I've had her 10 years now! Here's the Jeep...

[​IMG]

29. LaurieB

LaurieB

Very cool :) Thanks for the compliments. Love the stance on the truck!

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Looks like Santa has dropped some weight...must've been the desert heat, eh...???

The "elves" and "reindeer" certainly have changed considerably since I saw them after they'd left the North Pole...

Driving a car without A/C over there must be like swimming without water...aaaaaaaagh...!!!

R-