Register now to get rid of these ads!

'31 Model A build opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LWT, Dec 23, 2012.

1. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

I've been thinking about what direction to take my 1931 chopped/ channled two door sedan. It has been in it's current form since the early 60's, and my plan was just to re-fresh everything and call it a day, but, the steering SUCKS, and it's on a '31 frame which scares me. It has a '57 283 & a 3spd. I also have a '59 Caddy 390 engine with 2x4's that I could use. It is a slippery slope, but I'm wondering if I should just do a new frame. I know this will go over like a turd in a punch bowl, but, I also have a 500 Caddy that I thought I could use for the sake of more power ( I'm all about a powerful hot rod :) ) with a log intake,multiple carbs, & dress it in "nostalgic" valve covers etc. and make it look like it belongs with the rest of the car. Feel free to talk me out of that one- without too many insults please. So, should I work with the frame that I have out of respect for an old rod ( and my wallet ) or start over? What would you do?

2. Box the frame, fix the steering, and freshen it up! If it was good enough to last this long, I wouldn't change much at all! 283 and a 3 speed sounds pretty cool to me!

3. 117harv

117harv

Origonal 31 frame scares you? what kind of shape is it in? Any pics of the chassis?

4. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

New frame, 500 Caddy for sure, sell the other stuff off. If its a car you want to drive a lot, make sure the brakes are top notch, should be a thrill with a big inch motor in it....if that's what you are into!

5. metal man

metal man

Agreed. If your frame is in decent condition, box it and use it. What steering box does it have ? It's a Model A ,so getting safe steering worked out is not rocket science. We can help you with that.

I also like the 283 / 3 speed combo. It will be lightweight and fun to drive. Also, the smaller physical size will be a plus with a channelled model A.

Just fix what needs fixing, and maybe use that other stuff on another hot rod in the future.

6. jan bogert

jan bogert

box the frame. altho i have a '31 coupe and i didn't box it. but its only a flattie. keep it like it is. 60's :)

7. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Try and pretend you don't see these wheels & tires. Thanks for the feedback. [​IMG]

8. olskool34

olskool34

I agree with the above comments, save the frame and box it. F-1 steering boxes as nice and prett cheap to rebuild. I also dig the 283 and 3 spd, just freshen her up.

9. jan bogert

jan bogert

LWT i like them full fendered. i think a model a has alot of good looks JMO:) I WENT CROSS STEER, VEGA BOX.

10. x2 horsepower

11. I think I might do something with those hairy hair pins. Keep the little 283. Not a better sbc out there.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Upgrade the 3-speed to a 5-speed. Box the frame, and fix the suspension. 5.00x16 front 7.50-16 rear, steel with caps and rings.

13. metal man

metal man

Yea, those hairpins are scary. They make me wonder what else on the suspension needs help. It has significant bumpsteer also, but it can all be fixed pretty easily.

14. jan bogert

jan bogert

i'm running an s10 5 speed behind my '38 flathead, model a rear, posie reverse eye front and rear watch if u go s10 5 speed, the first gear on mine is a stump puller. but i should get them 4:11's out and go 3:54. mine is from an '87.

15. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

How much can the frame handle if it's boxed? Thanks for all the info.

16. fenderlessA

fenderlessA
    from canada

LWT's slots, ha dont get rid of them, they'll make a comeback

17. metal man

metal man

Well, it will handle anything a 283 will dish out for sure. If it is in good condition and boxed properly, no concern about strength. You do need to be sure that your suspension is up to the task,though...front and rear. There are a LOT of threads on here about good and bad suspension set-ups on model A's.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  18. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Thanks guys! Merry Christmas.