Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Another great car guy gone - RIP Rick Stewart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Nov 13, 2009.

1. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Some of the AZ guys and sprint car guys might know the name Rick Stewart. He passed last night after a 3 1/2 year fight with cancer. Rick has built sprint cars in Phoenix for probably 40 years and is well known in the racing community, especially at Manzanita Speedway. He was out working in the shop right up until the end, but he knew it was time. I wish he could have made it to 60 and I also wish I could have taken him for a ride in my car but it wasn't finished in time. He once told me that he felt good knowing there are young guys out there building hot rods the right way after seeing my car. That was huge to me. I'm sure he's up in heaven doing burnouts right now, and feeling a hell of a lot better too. Godspeed buddy.

2. haychrishay

haychrishay

I knew him, he was a friend of my brother ,Dan, he too lost the battle to cancer May of 06.

3. Rick was one of my mentors starting my business 15 odd years ago. He inspired some of my style when it comes to fabrication and he let me use his tools when I had none. I am so glad to have known him.

I will miss him.

4. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

I am glad to have had the opportunity to meet Rick. I just wish I could have had the opportunity to get to know him.

5. God Speed Rick.
    Only meet him a couple times, but truly a great guy.

6. jerry

jerry

Sorry news.

Met him a couple of times, wish I could have known him better.

RIP Rick.

jerry

7. Sad news. Rick was a good friend to my dad who also died of cancer.

8. fanbelt

fanbelt

Rick built 2 midgets for me and we traded a lot of hot rod parts, but most of all he was a great friend. RIP pal

9. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I knew there would be some guys who knew him on here. Thanks for posting guys.

10. cvsgnw

cvsgnw

Rick and I were in Boy Scouts way back in the day. We were in Troop 377 sponsored by Cross Roads Methodist Church. I used to hang at his dad's Texaco on the corner of N. 7th St. & Rose Lane. I met a lot of the old "heros" through Paul (dad) and Rick: Clint Brawner, Gary Stanton, Rod Palmer and on and on. I was into drag racing, and Rick was into going around in circles but we were both infected with the smell of fuel and rubber. He tried driving, but mean old Mr. Gravity had a way of telling him no. Never mind that, Rick was a hell of a fabricator and innovator. I will forever be looking for his signature X in the roll hoop. He not only built some fine race cars of any configuration - (how about a 1960's Indy Car replica?) they also did some very nice Street Rods: Rick "A" for instance. Rick's shop could turn out about anything you might dream up. I moved away from Phoenix for the last time in 1977 but Rick and I never lost touch for very long. He was an icon in the open wheel world, mentor and friend to many. Phoenix was lucky to have such a shining son.

Attached Files:

11. When I saw the thread title, I thought of the Rick Stewart in drag racing. I did not of this Rick Stewart. May he rest in peace and my prayers go out to comfort his family and friends who are grieving his loss.

Steve

Hosting-
    Pontiac/Buick/Olds FALL FEST Sat Nov 28, 2009 Phoenix
    www.pbofallfest.org
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

12. hemifarris

hemifarris

May he rest in peace...

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I have known Rick since I was a kid. He was a great guy and I'm sorry I didn't stay more in touch. Is there any funeral info? I can't find an obituary.

14. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

cvsgnw, thanks for posting the picture of Rick in his roadster. That was taken in front of his house, his shop is out back. One of my fondest memories of him was following him to Goodguys in that roadster and seeing how happy he was to be out cruising.

I'll keep my eyes open for the obituary too. I know they were planning the funeral on Friday, and I imagine I will hear the plans on Monday when I get to work. If it is a public funeral I'll post the details here.

15. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

That was one of the great things about Rick. If he knew you were a good guy he was always glad to loan a tool or advice or even his shop.

16. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

The funeral will be on Thursday November 19th at 11:00 am. 1st Christian Church on 7th Ave just south of Glendale. It has a teal roof. Hope you guys can make it.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'll have to second both NTAPHASE and ELpolacko, Rick was one of the best mentors you could hope to have. Always willing to lend machinery when you need it, advise as well. I heard the news of his passing at about 5:45 on Saturday morning at the monthly So-Cal gig, and went into imeadiate denial. I was just at his shop three weeks ago. We laughed and talked about what he was building next, He just had get through a new round of chemo, that he described as a "experimental lighter dose". He was looking the best I had seen him in years. I intended to stop by last tuesday, but got detained, told myself I would stop by next tues. too bad you don't get do-overs. Rest in peace friend, thank you.

18. Kevin05

Kevin05
    from Dorr, Mi

Add another on the the Me Too list that Rick was a mentor to. I've know Rick since the early 80's when I work with him on the car that Rick Ferkel drove. I did the design work on the ground effect that we used at Syracuse.. Rick was the first guy to try my 180 degree headers that I had built for a sprint car. And although we lived on both sides of the country, he was always only a phone call away. i was lucky to get to spend a week with him in April when Manzanita ran it's last show. It was a week to relive the old days, all the old haunts,resturants,So-cal, and cruise on Saturday night after the races got rained out. And even the Friday buffet at the shop.. Rick was my hero, and even thou he is gone I don't think I will ever stop asking him questions.. God Speed to you,, see you soon, and know that we will all look after Julee for you. And now I will end with the nickname you stuck me with.
    "The Wizard of Air"

Kevin Lincoln
    Kevin Lincoln racing
    Dorr, Michigan

19. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

20. big dump

big dump
    from Arizona

Great mentor, teacher, and friend. I feel lucky to have gotten to know him so well over the last 5 years, and there's no question he will be missed. Godspeed Rick..

21. It's been over a year since you left us Rick. I hope they have Mexican food where you are. I'll be seeing you soon enough. I've got to stop mentally speed dialing you -

22. Still not forgotten - Miss ya buddy! Anyone have anymore pictures of Rick or his cars?

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, has it really been that long? Seems like yesterday I stopped in the week before he died and shared a couple of laughs about a project he was working on. Some "minor treatments" he was to undergo the following week were just an afterthought...